So I am a little confused. I keep hearing that the 9930 is a world phone and has a slot for a sim card. So does that mean it could be used on AT&T if unlocked? If so, are there any services that would be missing (VVM)? Any downsides to doing this?

Thanks for your input.
    08-26-11 03:14 PM
    The 9930 can be used on AT&T's network, but I'm pretty sure you would only get EDGE service only as the 3G GSM bands that the 9930 can use aren't used by the domestic carriers.
    08-26-11 03:26 PM
    Correct, EDGE only. Sorta not worth it.
    08-26-11 03:35 PM
    Correct, EDGE only. Sorta not worth it.
    If it is EDGE only, definitely not worth it. Thanks.
    08-26-11 03:37 PM
    It's only worth it if you want it for BBM and Email ..
    08-26-11 04:46 PM
    I would get 9900 unless you are locked into verizon or something. I've never been fan of those CDMA+GSM hybrids as CDMA portion will only work with original carrier in most cases. I did have 8830WE at one point only because that's all there was available.
    08-26-11 04:49 PM
    sorry guys, i have no idea what EDGE is. i have just purchased an unlocked Bold 9930 from overseas. and i am on At&t service, would i not be able to use the internet at all? please help
    08-27-11 06:17 AM
    EDGE is an older and slower service. Yes you will have internet but will be like a dial up modem.
    08-27-11 06:53 AM
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Will wait for the 9900 for AT&T or try and get my hands on one from somewhere else. Any advice on that would be great.

No sense in getting a 9930 if the data speeds are greatly reduced.

Thanks again.
    08-27-11 11:49 AM
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Will wait for the 9900 for AT&T or try and get my hands on one from somewhere else. Any advice on that would be great.

No sense in getting a 9930 if the data speeds are greatly reduced.

Thanks again.
    You also want to avoid a T-Mobile branded device. AT&T and T-Mobile use different 3G frequency bands, so you will only get EDGE if you use a T-Mobile device on AT&T (and vice-versa).

The 9900 from Bell, Telus, or Rogers will get 3G on AT&T.
    rstrathman likes this.
    08-27-11 01:38 PM
    Thanks so much guys!

One more question, I am moving to Canada in a year and was wondering if i can take the unlocked Verizon bold 9930 to Canada and get a 3G service on any network in Canada.

Please help
    08-27-11 01:43 PM
    EDGE is an older and slower service. Yes you will have internet but will be like a dial up modem.
    What about the wifi function? that should work (when near a wifi connection)?
    08-27-11 02:27 PM
    What about the wifi function? that should work (when near a wifi connection)?
    Yes, but not everyone is around WiFi all the time.
    08-27-11 02:33 PM
    Thanks so much guys!

One more question, I am moving to Canada in a year and was wondering if i can take the unlocked Verizon bold 9930 to Canada and get a 3G service on any network in Canada.

Please help
    Unfortunately this won't work. In order to get 3G on 9930 in Canada, you have to have ESN registered with CDMA provider. Neither Telus or Bell will do this for non-branded devices. They don't care about HSPA phones but CDMA is different story.

You can get 2G service from either Rogers or Fido, and since you already own the 9930, you will probably have to go this route
    08-27-11 02:47 PM
    If you have..

Sprint/Verizon 9930
    3G on the original carrier + some European and Asian countries
    2G on AT&T/Rogers/Fido/T-mobile

Telus/Rogers/Bell/AT&T 9900
    3G on Telus,Rogers,Bell,AT&T,Europe,Asia (including Telstra in AUS)
    2G on T-mobile,Wind,Mobilicity

T-mobile/Wind/Mobilicity 9900
    3G on T-mobile,Wind,Mobilicity + some European and Asian countries
    2G on Rogers,AT&T

By far the easiest way to get 3G on wide range of carriers is buying 9900 from Telus/Rogers/Bell/AT&T
    Last edited by costco1; 08-27-11 at 08:50 PM. Reason: update
    08-27-11 02:57 PM
    You also want to avoid a T-Mobile branded device. AT&T and T-Mobile use different 3G frequency bands, so you will only get EDGE if you use a T-Mobile device on AT&T (and vice-versa).

The 9900 from Bell, Telus, or Rogers will get 3G on AT&T.
    Thanks. Now just need to find someone who can get one for me from Canada.
    08-27-11 03:50 PM
    EDGE speeds are not dial up idk what or why that user in the prior posts said that. Its fine for blackberrys that have that data processed by the BIS servers anyway, on top of AT&Ts congested as **** 3G network, EDGE could prove to be faster on blackberries in some cases.

Don't sacrafice a whole CDMA side just for 3G on one or two carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 05:14 PM
    EDGE speeds are not dial up idk what or why that user in the prior posts said that. Its fine for blackberrys that have that data processed by the BIS servers anyway, on top of AT&Ts congested as **** 3G network, EDGE could prove to be faster on blackberries in some cases.

Don't sacrafice a whole CDMA side just for 3G on one or two carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I dont think he meant that its actually dial up, its for comparison purposes to illustrate how slow EDGE is.

Getting a 9900 to only use EDGE would be like getting a Ferrari and putting in a Honda Civic engine. Pointless.
    08-27-11 06:03 PM
    One of reason to get CDMA would be if you are in rural US and lack AT&T coverage. Canada is moving along towards HSPA then to LTE at this point. We didn't get 9650 Tour as carriers decided their flagship devices are going to be on HSPA network and only released 9700/9780. They still do operate CDMA and HSPA, with trend going toward latter.
    08-27-11 08:46 PM
    I dont think he meant that its actually dial up, its for comparison purposes to illustrate how slow EDGE is.

Getting a 9900 to only use EDGE would be like getting a Ferrari and putting in a Honda Civic engine. Pointless.
    The OP has a 9800. If he wants to see how slow EDGE is, he just needs to go to mobile network options>network mode and change to 2G.

08-28-11 02:31 AM
    One of reason to get CDMA would be if you are in rural US and lack AT&T coverage. Canada is moving along towards HSPA then to LTE at this point. We didn't get 9650 Tour as carriers decided their flagship devices are going to be on HSPA network and only released 9700/9780. They still do operate CDMA and HSPA, with trend going toward latter.
    That would mean switching carriers. If your carrier is VZW or Sprint, you must have a device with their branding. You cannot use a Sprint device on VZW, and you cannot use a VZW device on Sprint. The CDMA carriers use databases of ESNs/MEIDs, and if the number is not in their database as having their branding, they will not activate the device on their network.
    08-28-11 02:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD