Can i use my blackberry in the dominican republic just like i use it here, they told me the phone is unlocked and it has the sim card slot but its a cdma device, which phone companies are compatible with cdma in the DR and will i be able to use bbm, browser, etc?.. Thanks.
    03-16-12 12:37 AM
    9930 is a world phone having both a CDMA and GSM radios. Meaning you can get a sim in Dominican Republic and use it there locally.
    03-16-12 07:01 AM
    i'm from DR and i live in DR
    so...
    yes it will work with no problem if its unlocked, there are plenty of 9930 here in DR, I do have one from Verizon, since you have the 9930 I will advise you to buy a SIM and services from Orange which is the carrier in DR that will give 3G to your phone, since the other carrier uses the same band that AT&T does uses on the USA
    03-16-12 07:56 AM
    If you're using just wifi, it works great. I didn't try my regular mobile services as everyone kept warning me of possible huge roaming fees.

With the mobile service off, wifi worked great with email, internet and BBM.
    03-16-12 09:21 AM
    Blackberry Bold 9930 is the CDMA version of the Blackberry 9900 but it's a "World phone" - it has both of the radio hardware of CDMA and GSM and it's included with a SIM slot for the GSM sim cards..

When you buy a Blackberry Bold 9930 from a CDMA carrier (such as Verizon or Sprint) it will be set with the CDMA line and there is no need for a SIM card for the phone to operate correctly but it can also work as a GSM device which is used with SIM cards...

most of the carriers worldwide are using GSM technology and the phone number is set on the SIM card itself... but, when you buy a mobile phone from a carrier it is branded to the carrier you got it from and it's also included with a security called "SIM lock" that blocks the device from getting signal when a SIM card from other carrier is inserted (connect to the network of the other carrier).

It can be solved by unlocking your Blackberry Bold 9930, you can get it unlocked using the unique unlock code for your Blackberry and by doing this you will remove the SIM lock security and you will turn your Blackberry into a phone that can be used with any SIM card (as long as the carrier that you use is operating with the frequency bands your device is supporting).

So, if your Blackberry Bold 9930 is unlocked it can work with a SIM card from a carrier in the Dominican Rep. that use the frequency bands your Blackberry is supporting..

IF it's a Verizon device you can edit the CDMA number by dialing ##000000 (change it to the number you are using there, the number of the sim card)
    Then, Just change the settings for it to go as GSM and that's it..
    03-16-12 09:27 AM
    Thanks Guys i appreciate it!
    03-19-12 01:50 AM
    hi guys;
    i will be trvlg next mth to Dominican Republic n im wondering where i can buy a sim card to use my bb990 there be4 i fly. I alredy unlocked n used in bogota colombia last year but will luv to set it up be4 i get 2 Dom Rep. If anybody knows of a place in NYC where I can get a sim card be4 i fly i really appreciate it. thx in advance.
    04-08-12 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD