I've gone over my 750MB data allowance this month and I have a week left before I get another allowance. What I want to do is disable my 3G data connection and just access the internet via WiFi but I get the message that I am not connected to a network when I turn off 3G data but am connected through WiFi. Is there any way to just browse on WiFi or am I forced to keep 3G data on?
    10-20-11 07:45 PM
    You shouldn't have to turn data off. I use wifi all day at work and have yet to see it use any data from my data plan. I may be wrong but I am fairly certain that's how it works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 08:13 PM
    You shouldn't have to turn data off. I use wifi all day at work and have yet to see it use any data from my data plan. I may be wrong but I am fairly certain that's how it works.

Ah it seems that you are correct, although on my Android handset 3G and WiFi data connections were separate, so that if I left the WiFi area it wouldn't automatically start using 3G.
    10-20-11 08:18 PM
    If I leave the wifi perimeter my BB loses internet connection. Fairly certain it will not automatically switch. To reconnect with the carriers network I have to manually shut wifi off. Hope this helped.

10-20-11 10:06 PM
    Wasn't it in OS 6 where we could choose our data/mobile preference? Or was that only for the UMA capable phones? I remember having "Mobile Network Preferred" and "Wi-fi preferred," as well as "Mobile Network Only" and "Wi-fi Only" in the options.

But, you are incorrect in that you can't use Wi-fi without Mobile Network selected. I have my 9930 right here and deselected Mobile Network. I have an antenna symbol with "OFF" in the text next to it, but my Wi-fi connection is on, and I can browse smoothly.
    10-20-11 10:47 PM
    I think the App World, though, operates on Mobile Network only. I remember being able to access and download apps with my Pearl 3G on Wi-fi only... but, with this 9930, I can't open the App World without my Mobile Network capability turned on.
    10-20-11 10:48 PM
    How did u manage to go over 750mb? I've never even gone through half of my 500mb limit.

You youtube and browse tons?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-21-11 12:26 AM
    I dont think you can use it with wifi. I have an unlimited data plan and my wi-fi doesnt even work when i turn off my 3G. All smartphones can be used for web browsing with wi-fi turned on and the phone isn't activated, but my 9900 on T-Mobile's wi-fi just refuses to work unless my device is actually connected to the T-Mobile network.

However, my BB Bold 9780 didnt have this issue at all. Since i got my 9900, i obviously ported everything over and only use my 9780 as an alarm clock and the occasional web browsing when i am bored. I think it doesnt function on the 9900 because it doesnt come with UMA calling installed. I dunno, but i am assuming.
    10-22-11 02:35 AM
    I have 9900 with a data plan with Vodafone Egypt, and I just made this test now. I unchecked the Mobile network connections leaving only the WiFi at home, and I am able to browse easily to different web sites, also sending and receiving email was easy.
    10-22-11 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD