I have a common problem seen on these forums. I have a Sprint 9930 but am using it on T-Mobile network with NO DATA service at all! T-Mobile tries to send service books but with no success. Set the APN settings with no effect. Registered with HRT with no effect. I've tried everything and nothing will work.
    Yesterday I tried to load the Blackberry OS 7.0.0.250 that i downloaded off the T-Mobile website for the 9900 they offer.
    Here's the issue: I loaded it, or what i thought was loading, but when I booted back up, it still loaded the Sprint splash screen when i was expecting a T-Mobile one. When I checked the OS version, it still read the old OS version 7.0.0.241!?
    But it went throught the whole 45 minute process of updating the OS.

Heres the big question: Did I miss something to run the update? Is it even possible to load the T-Mobile branded OS for the 9900 on my Sprint 9930? Can I maybe just use the RIM apploader to push the new OS on the phone instead of using Blackberry Desktop Software? And if I do push it through, do I risk bricking it?
    11-02-11 10:21 AM
    No, you can't load 9900 software onto a 9930... or vice versa.

Also, your Sprint splash screen will ALWAYS remain, no matter which OS you install.
    11-02-11 10:26 AM
    Well that sucks, I was really looking forward to an easy fix and i thought that loading the t-mobile software would replace those missing service books. Do you know what would happen if i tried to push it through with the apploader? or would it just not work? I figured the splash screen might be hardcoded in but thats the least of my concerns. I would be happy if i could simply get the son-of-a-***** to work with just normal 2G data speeds. Is there a way to manually load service books from rim or T-Mobile. There has got to be a way short of selling this phone and buying the 9900. there seem to be several people with the similar issue but no progress in resolving it. Iv'e expended all options allotted by my limited knowledge
    11-02-11 11:02 AM
    Sorry to say, but you should sell the 9930 and get a 9900 if you want to run it on TMO.

The GSM 3G bands on the 9930 are 1 & 8, and TMO uses the AWS frequency on band 4, so you'll never get 3G.

You should still be able to get EDGE though, but is it really worth it?
    11-02-11 11:15 AM
    Follow with attention these simple steps to load the OS from 9930 into 9900 doing a Jawa swap. I used to use 362 on my 9900.

Download the 9930 OS into your PC

Go to: c/programs/commonfiles/research in motion/ shared/loeader files/and copy the java folder somewhere on your desktop.

Unistall the OS

Install the latest or any other wont make differences for your 9900 on your pc go to the same destination above and paste all the CODs that from the Java folder yopu prevously saved into the java of 9900 OS. When it will ask you to overide the existing one you flag the box and press YES.

Make sure you delete the two vendor files contained on the app loader.

Shrink at will if your good at it.

Woila 462 is ready to load, basically is exacly the same OS the only diffence is the UMTS/CDMA radio file the rest its all the same
    Last edited by Spartacus_82; 11-02-11 at 11:30 AM.
    11-02-11 11:26 AM
    Woila 462 is ready to load, basically is exacly the same OS the only diffence is the UMTS/CDMA radio file the rest its all the same
    It's Voila, and .362 but that still won't help the OP... he needs a 9900
    11-02-11 11:30 AM
    This is true. I wanted to load 9900 software onto my 9930. but since the frequencies it operates on will not change, then it's a useless effort. However, at this point, I would be happy just to get 2G EDGE data. I only have talk and text. This smartphone of mine has been very dumbed down.
    11-02-11 11:37 AM
    This is true. I wanted to load 9900 software onto my 9930. but since the frequencies it operates on will not change, then it's a useless effort. However, at this point, I would be happy just to get 2G EDGE data. I only have talk and text. This smartphone of mine has been very dumbed down.
    I can guarantee you that you are able to load all the java fromm the latest AT&T into your 9930 without issue.
    11-02-11 11:40 AM
    It's Voila, and .362 but that still won't help the OP... he needs a 9900
    Kudos Sir,
    .362 was what I was running on my 9900 before. What is available now from AT&T is 462 or something higher then leaked 440 /official 439 and it can be loaded fully minus the radio of course.

Don't know what other OP doubts were but I guess he wanted to update to the latest OS available for the 9930 cmda devices and that can be done without having bands problems unless he unlocks a different phone from a different carrier.
    11-02-11 11:47 AM
    I have the same problem as ohfuqyes with the bold 9930. I know the account at TMO is fine b/c I use a bold 9650 and I get the EDGE signal no problem. However with the 9930 I only get edge and TMO cant figure how to provision the phone correctly. A RIM rep was on the line with TMO and while the TMO rep tried his magic, the RIM rep could not see the new pin getting activated and provision under TMO (yes RIM can see the customer name, number, plan options, services, provider, etc in their BB Admin tools).
    All I could get working (by loading the service books manually) is Whatsapp, browser, app world. BBM and Email are NOT working as they require a BIS registration.
    So it looks like we are we are out of luck for TMO customers using the 9930.
    11-02-11 09:21 PM
    I have the same problem as ohfuqyes with the bold 9930. I know the account at TMO is fine b/c I use a bold 9650 and I get the EDGE signal no problem. However with the 9930 I only get edge and TMO cant figure how to provision the phone correctly. A RIM rep was on the line with TMO and while the TMO rep tried his magic, the RIM rep could not see the new pin getting activated and provision under TMO (yes RIM can see the customer name, number, plan options, services, provider, etc in their BB Admin tools).
    All I could get working (by loading the service books manually) is Whatsapp, browser, app world. BBM and Email are NOT working as they require a BIS registration.
    So it looks like we are we are out of luck for TMO customers using the 9930.
    I came to that SOL conclusion also and posted my 9930 on eBay. Luckily it sold for $80 more than I paid for it, so there is a silver lining to this frustrating situation.
    Hey at least you got some of your apps to work! But having a BB without email is like driving an electric car. It might look nice, but it doesn't perform very well.
    11-04-11 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD