Hello All,

I just got a supposedly unlocked ATT Bold 9900 on EBay.

I hope to be able to use the wifi in my house to get emails on it.

The SIM is a prepaid TMobile with no data plan, only texting.

When I try to configure my email account, it says it can't open the "email setup application, contact your wireless service provider."

Wifi is enabled and working.

Can this work to receive emails using wifi only?

Thank You,

Lee
    02-02-19 01:55 AM
    The 9900 is dependent on BlackBerry Internet Service, something T-Mobile apparently no longer provides. Without the BlackBerry service, the email service cannot function on these legacy devices, BIS was how the device connected with the carrier's data network.
    leeleses likes this.
    02-02-19 09:42 AM
    BergerKing thank you so much for clarifying the current states with Blackberry and TMobile. It's sad what has happened since 2012 when I was issued a new Bold 9900 at work. The next year I got my first iPhone. Over the years, I've come to realize there WAS value in the way the Bold worked, as opposed to the iPhone. This 9900 I brought on EBay was an ATT one and it's in gorgeous shape. Fortunately, it's looking like I'm going to be able to do what I wanted to do, because the SMS still is popular and working on TMobile. It's just going to cost me per text. I'm going to get voicemails on Google Voice, then Google Voice is going to send an alert email to my Outlook account. Then I can use the powerful mail handling rules at Outlook to forward ONLY the messages I want to the TMobile email to text address every cell phone has. And voila! If I'm sleeping and don't want to be woken abruptly by the phone, I can filter it so ONLY work and my parents can turn on the flashing orange LED when they send a voicemail! It'll cost me after 30 texts included in my TMobile prepaid service, but it's well worth it to me for the service of not being woken for some stupid sales call or something like that! I also had to shut off the TMobile voicemail, because for some reason I could not get the 9900 LED to not light when there was a TMobile voicemail left.

Anyway thank you again, you were a big help because you knew the sad current states. This is an upgrade from the OLD Nokia phone I was using with the TMobile...
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-03-19 08:57 AM
    T-Mobile apparently no longer provides.
    This is NOT true:

PROOF: https://twitter.com/DamianMontero/st...61983834882049

I literally JUST put in my t-mobile SIM on my 9720 and got BIS just fine. Emailed myself the BBSSH (ssh client) and contacted my server.

T-mobile BIS service of course will NOT work on any kind of plan that doesn't have DATA. If you have DATA you have BIS.

Enjoy @leeleses. Just add data and you'll have BIS.
    leeleses likes this.
    02-23-19 12:08 AM
    Can I get email on this 9900 with TMobile prepaid SIM w/o a data plan?-screenshot_20190223-021124_chrome.jpg

https://forums.crackberry.com/t-mobi...015-a-1035881/

BIS is not the same as a regular data plan. T-Mobile data would allow you to access the BlackBerry Internet Service, which provided the data through BlackBerry's servers, which they have dropped. Newer devices from Z10 upward use a standard data plan, but legacy BBs required BIS or BES to operate their email push and data on a carrier's network.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-23-19 02:22 AM
    Thank you for sharing your experience with me! I'm using the 9900 primarily for phone service and the occasional SMS text. It worked out that I can get the silent LED notification I need when certain important family and work call while I'm sleeping with just basic phone service and no data. I know it's blasphemy, but I make out just fine using multiple devices for multiple things. Most of the time like 90% of the time I'm at home or work on wifi. The few times I really need data, I used my iPad with TMobile pay as you go data plans. It's not sexy having multiple devices, some of them quite old, but it's getting done what I need and costing very little, which is the current goal. The 9900 is a huge step up from the Nokia 3595 (circa 2003) that I was using to get SMS texts when certain websites would not work with the free Google Voice SMS texting...
    02-23-19 04:22 AM