Hi Blackberry experts

I was wondering if you could provide some insights about the following:

1. I will be living in Indonesia for quite a while, and I plan to bring a Canadian mobile phone, and use it in Indonesia, with an Indonesian SIM card.

These are the technologies that Indonesian mobile carriers support (in terms of GSM, 3G, EDGE, HSPA, GPRS, etc etc)

List of mobile network operators of the Asia Pacific region - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And these are their frequencies:

Cellular Providers and Frequencies of Indonesia | RoamTheWorldCellPhones.com

My question is: based on the above sources, could you please let me know which Canadian carriers whose mobile phones will work with Indonesian carriers? (And yes, of course I will unlock the phone first).

Will a Rogers/Bell/Telus phone work in Indonesia? What about a Wind/Mobilicity phone?

2. I was going to purchase a (no contract) Blackberry from Telus, and subscribe to a Mobilicity plan. However, having talked to different Telus and Mobilicity reps, thankfully I quickly found out that what I wanted to do wouldn't work because the Mobilicity network uses a frequency that Telus mobile phones don't support.

Having browsed some websites, I understand that both the Telus and Mobilicity networks support HSPA.....so how come Telus phones, even if unlocked, won't work with Mobilicity's network?
    I think Mobilicity's network uses something called AWS, which Telus phones don't support. But since both companies support HSPA, I don't understand why phones from one company won't work with the other's network....because if the phone doesn't work with AWS, won't it just fall back to HSPA?

Thanks for your help! =)
    10-30-11 05:02 PM
    I think you source at Telus was stringing you a line. You will likely only need to unlock your phone to use the foreign SIM card. Hopefully some others will chime in whom know a lot more than me. I vacationed in the Philippines this summer with my old Virgin/Bell 9800, roaming the whole time and even small island towns had full BIS and connectivity. For unlocked and using a local SIM, i have no clue but Blackberry is hugely popular in the South East Pacific. I would even try buying one there unlocked and bringing it back
    Last edited by bermont; 10-30-11 at 05:43 PM.
    10-30-11 05:16 PM
    1. My question is: based on the above sources, could you please let me know which Canadian carriers whose mobile phones will work with Indonesian carriers? (And yes, of course I will unlock the phone first).

Will a Rogers/Bell/Telus phone work in Indonesia? What about a Wind/Mobilicity phone?
    Blackberries from all the companies will work in Indonesia (once unlocked) because they all support quad-band GSM and they support the 2100 MHz frequency (UMTS/HSPA Band I)

2. Having browsed some websites, I understand that both the Telus and Mobilicity networks support HSPA.....so how come Telus phones, even if unlocked, won't work with Mobilicity's network?
    ...because if the phone doesn't work with AWS, won't it just fall back to HSPA?
    HSPA is a technology, AWS is a frequency (UMTS/HSPA Band 4). The Telus rep was correct their Blackberries will not work on Mobilicity's network, and vice versa.
    10-30-11 06:56 PM
    i once had an unlocked BlackBerry Bold from Rogers and used it in Indonesia. no problem what so ever.
    10-31-11 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD