Hello, I have a Bold 9900 and am thinking about ordering the leather holster made by RIM for this phone but have a concern. The way it is designed, it's obviously meant to have the screen facing outward.

I was wondering, do they have a magnet on the other side too so the screen shuts off automatically if I put my phone in the holster with the screen facing inward (the way it SHOULD be...)?? I'm not going to have the front of my phone, the screen, facing outwards, holster or not, that's WAY too risky, not to mention pulling the phone out I'll have to flip it to be able to use it... Stupid design to have the screen facing outward...

Anyone with the holster know the answer to this??
    12-27-11 01:27 PM
    . i never paid attention to this, but it works either way. i put my phone inward just for convenience when i take it out of the holster.

i don't think you will have an issue
    12-27-11 01:37 PM
    Awesome, exactly the answers I was looking for, thank you so much for the prompt replies guys. Appreciate it. :-)
    12-27-11 01:45 PM
    I always thought it was designed to face inward, but I see from the picture on the BB site it's outward.

I always put mine inward and it turns off like it's supposed to. I wonder if there's any battery savings.
    12-27-11 01:52 PM
    I always thought it was designed to face inward, but I see from the picture on the BB site it's outward.

I always put mine inward and it turns off like it's supposed to. I wonder if there's any battery savings.

Nope.

Its meant to face outwards, but works both ways. The LED can be seen in the outward position and the magnet does its job in any position

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-27-11 01:54 PM
    Ok, I have to ask, do you guys really have the holster? Because I just received the holster and it only goes on standby mode when put with the screen facing outward. When I put it into the holster with the screen facing inward like I am specifically asking about it doesn't go on standby... Very disappointed that I just wasted my money. Thought I was smart and did my research first...

Edit: You know, the more I look at it, I think I might have been tricked into a cheap imitation. Just to be sure, RIM does not have any factories in China right? Because the packaging of this said "Made in China" and I think RIM is European? Great, got this from Amazon, gonna have to complain...
    Last edited by slagman5; 01-06-12 at 04:55 PM.
    01-06-12 04:45 PM
    Ok, I have to ask, do you guys really have the holster? Because I just received the holster and it only goes on standby mode when put with the screen facing outward. When I put it into the holster with the screen facing inward like I am specifically asking about it doesn't go on standby... Very disappointed that I just wasted my money. Thought I was smart and did my research first...

Edit: You know, the more I look at it, I think I might have been tricked into a cheap imitation. Just to be sure, RIM does not have any factories in China right? Because the packaging of this said "Made in China" and I think RIM is European? Great, got this from Amazon, gonna have to complain...

Does it say BlackBerry in the leather?

Mine came with the phone and it goes into standby mode inwards or outwards.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk of course.
    01-06-12 05:11 PM
    Does it say BlackBerry in the leather?

Mine came with the phone and it goes into standby mode inwards or outwards.

BlackBerry Bold� 9930 using Tapatalk of course.
    Of course it says Blackberry in the leather. It'll be a pretty poor copy if it doesn't. The giveaway that it's an imitation is that the real RIM cases are lines with a light colored silky lining while this fake one is lined with a rough black lining.

The real one also has red stitching on the top of the right side of the case while the one I received doesn't.

And lastly, the real one is supposed to put the phone on standby if you put the phone with the screen facing inward or outward, the one I received only does it with the screen facing outward. With the screen facing inward the screen stays on.

I've already complained to Amazon to investigate this marketplace seller because he's advertising it as the original RIM product. Hopefully they take him off their marketplace because that's a bait and switch...
    01-06-12 05:23 PM
    Its actually better to have the screen screen face towards your body as if it goes the other way around the stitching can imprint on the screen protector. Dont know if it could damage the glass or not.
    01-06-12 05:24 PM
    Its actually better to have the screen screen face towards your body as if it goes the other way around the stitching can imprint on the screen protector. Dont know if it could damage the glass or not.
    In case you are misunderstanding me, I WANT to put the phone with the screen facing INWARD, which is TOWARD the body as you say. The imitation case I received does not put the phone on standby when you put the phone in it that way. It only puts it on standby when you put the phone in with the screen facing outward...
    01-06-12 05:28 PM
    Of course it says Blackberry in the leather. It'll be a pretty poor copy if it doesn't. The giveaway that it's an imitation is that the real RIM cases are lines with a light colored silky lining while this fake one is lined with a rough black lining.

The real one also has red stitching on the top of the right side of the case while the one I received doesn't.

And lastly, the real one is supposed to put the phone on standby if you put the phone with the screen facing inward or outward, the one I received only does it with the screen facing outward. With the screen facing inward the screen stays on.

I've already complained to Amazon to investigate this marketplace seller because he's advertising it as the original RIM product. Hopefully they take him off their marketplace because that's a bait and switch...
    I have the original RIM holster that came with my 9900, and some things you describe as present in the "original" holster are not quite right.

First, the lining is pitch black (although silky, not rough)

Second, there is no red stitching anywhere. I have seen the ones they sell at the phone stores, and yes, they have red stitching, but mine came with the phone and it doesn't, it's all black.

Last, mine does turn the screen off right away in both orientations, so that should indeed give away a fake product.

Good luck with Amazon...
    01-06-12 06:09 PM
    its actually designed to face inward... after god knows how many replacement 9900's the holster not has a dirrection sticker/warning to haveit facing inward. learn somethingnew everyday.

facing outward caused a lot of keys popping off
    01-06-12 07:13 PM
    Mine is in an OB Commuter case with a protective screen that faces inward in a Seidio Surface case.
    01-06-12 08:05 PM
    The oem holster for blackberry that COMES WITH the 9900/9930 in the box has a sticker on it that instructs the user to face the bb inward. . It's better protects the screen due to accidental bumps
    01-06-12 08:19 PM
    And welcome to crackberry Slagman may your addiction begin
    01-06-12 09:25 PM
    The oem holster for blackberry that COMES WITH the 9900/9930 in the box has a sticker on it that instructs the user to face the bb inward. . It's better protects the screen due to accidental bumps
    Mine didn't have such a sticker, unless the guy at the Telephone Booth store removed it before handing it to me.
    Also, the holster is designed in such a way that one can see the LED blink without having to take it out (unlike the one with my old 8900, which I had to open to check for a blinking LED), for those who use LED notifications and programs like BerryBuzz.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be safer to have the screen facing inward, just saying that it should work either way, and I seriously doubt that keys will pop out for facing it outward, like another poster mentioned.
    01-07-12 12:21 AM
    Although this doesn't turn the screen off, and this isn't totally to the point of this thread, I occasionally put mine in upside down when I'm in louder situations because with the phone in upright the speaker is muffled badly. Upside down allows the phone to ring out the top of the pouch instead of the bottom in the enclosed pouch/clip.
    01-07-12 12:34 AM
    OEM accessories are mostly made in China but not the phones!

The Original cases works both ways round but not upside down.

I have an OEM case that works both ways round but only upside down which I prefer cos the phone is ready to use with you draw it from the holster (like a gun) It is from a earlier Blackberry which must of had the magnet placed differently.

So if your case does not work both ways round it is not OEM and if it works upside
    down it is an older case as the new 99xx cases wont work unless the phone is the right way up, try it!
    01-07-12 12:56 AM

I don't know where you got your information from but my case did come from RIM with my phone because I got it through an employee at RIM in Waterloo.

1) The lining is black
    2) No red stitching anywhere.
    01-07-12 11:02 AM
    I don't know where you got your information from but my case did come from RIM with my phone because I got it through an employee at RIM in Waterloo.

1) The lining is black

2) No red stitching anywhere.

Oem pouches have a one red stitch on the upper right. The front has the BB logo in chrome and has BlackBerry imprinted on the lower rear.

The phone can be placed any way and it will
    put the phone to sleep.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk of course.
    01-07-12 03:35 PM
    Oem pouches have a one red stitch on the upper right. The front has the BB logo in chrome and has BlackBerry imprinted on the lower rear.

The phone can be placed any way and it will
    put the phone to sleep.

BlackBerry Bold� 9930 using Tapatalk of course.
    Rearead my post. My case came directly from RIM - not a carrier or phone store that sells phone contracts. It does not look anything like what you described.

Mine has an embossed Blackberry printed vertically on the front and an embossed logo stamped on the clip.

There was a thread once about some 9900 cases were sctatching the phones and it was determined in that thread that carriers source their own cases and RIM does not include them when shipping phones to resellers. So who is to say which case is OEM?
    01-07-12 04:04 PM
    Rearead my post. My case came directly from RIM - not a carrier or phone store that sells phone contracts. It does not look anything like what you described.

Mine has an embossed Blackberry printed vertically on the front and an embossed logo stamped on the clip.

There was a thread once about some 9900 cases were sctatching the phones and it was determined in that thread that carriers source their own cases and RIM does not include them when shipping phones to resellers. So who is to say which case is OEM?

Do you realize that one of you is talking about a phone pouch while the other is talking about a holster? Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-07-12 10:41 PM
    I've have always had my device facing inward. I'm not going to looking at my hip for a flashing LED... That's what the vibration function is for.

01-07-12 10:54 PM
    Do you realize that one of you is talking about a phone pouch while the other is talking about a holster? Lol

Oops you're right.
    Last edited by blackmoe; 01-07-12 at 11:22 PM.
    01-07-12 11:20 PM
    The laugh is on you buddy. What pouch do you know has a clip? Did you you read trhe part where I said it had the logo on the clip?

In case you still can't keep up let me be clear I'm talking about the holster with the swivel clip.

Edited my post. Didn't see that you edited yours as well. Yeah I have the same holster as you do with the blackberry branding. I've never seen the pouch the other guy is talking about. Lol

Last edited by Coraya; 01-07-12 at 11:27 PM.
    01-07-12 11:24 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD