Hey Guys!

I just came from the Bold 9650 and in all the old Berries that I�ve had there is an actual Half-Button for the camera to Focus.

Somehow, on this 9930 the metal key will only go all the way down and the camera snaps at a picture that is NOT focused. It�s actually blurry.

I have read the specs and it says it has auto focus but it does not seem to wait for a picture to focus up.

Anyone with the similar issue?

Thanks!

-Rudy
    09-06-11 10:03 AM
    Those specs were wrong.

to make it thinner, RIM used an extended depth of field camera.
    no autofocus here. it is called continuous focus.

the 98xx series have autofocus. (all if them)
    NevadaJake and Rdeleon05 like this.
    09-06-11 10:06 AM
    RIM screwed up with the camera on this one.
    09-06-11 10:19 AM
    RIM did not use this type of camera to keep it thin as the Galaxy S2 is thinner than the 9900 and has one of the best cameras I have ever used! I think it had to do with money!
    09-06-11 10:28 AM
    i happen to think this camera takes excellent pics. better than my 9650...also pics on the move are a lot clearer...i think this is a fine camera
    09-06-11 10:37 AM
    i must be in the minority,i think it is far better than my 9700 camera,and is enough for what i need.at the end of the day i bought a phone,with a nice little camera as an extra.the hd video by the way is awesome.just my opinion.
    09-06-11 10:38 AM
    I don't own one yet, still on an Android phone, but I did see a thread of a guy who took a pic of some newspaper and the text was very clear. Since I am not into photography that much I really don't understand this new lens. I do know the camera has image stabilizer to compensate for the lack of auto-focus. Since I am not great at shooting a photo this may very well be the camera for me.
    09-06-11 10:42 AM
    I also prefer the camera on the 9930 over my old 9650.
    09-06-11 11:36 AM
    Do we buy cell phones for the camera or for the phone?

I have never seen a pocket camera that could make a phone call yet.
    09-06-11 11:43 AM
    So to sum up the answers for the OP, the easiest way to put it is that the camera is ALWAYS in that half-pressed state, because it's always focused, so you don't have to. The fact that you're getting blurry pictures is odd though, as it's harder to get blur on the new EDOF lenses than the old auto-focus. I've only had blur on pictures when I was doing a very bad job holding the phone still. I'll assume you know a thing or two about taking pictures, since you actually use the half-press on previous cameras (surprisingly, many don't) so if I had to guess, I'd say either you're taking pictures too close to the lens (EDOF doesn't do closeups as well as auto-focus), or the lens is dirty.

Hopefully this helps
    09-06-11 12:12 PM
    Do we buy cell phones for the camera or for the phone?

I have never seen a pocket camera that could make a phone call yet.
    I've read this excuse like a thousand times here and I still think it's a pretty conformist and outdated way of putting things..

Nowadays every other big player in the market gives you good phone capabilities AND a good camera amongst hundreds of features. So are you saying it's all good to be left out of modern capabilities every other decent smart phone have because "we buy cellphones and not cameras?".

Now with that being said I've seen pictures taken with the 9930 and think they are awesome so it doesn't really matter but damn dude it's not a $50 phone you're buying here.. It's a $500+ smartphone. Expect more than simple phone calls out of it .
    09-06-11 12:59 PM
    I see the same excuse time and time again to justify the existence of poor cameras on smartphones in 2011. There are so many people that use their smartphone for a camera to capture moments where they don't have a digital camera (how many people carry around digital cameras everywhere they go?). It's a really nice feature to have a good camera on a smartphone and it's funny how people just brush it off as something insignificant in this day and age. Well... I'm glad those people don't work in the developments of smartphones or else we'd all have crappy cameras.
    oldtimeBBaddict and Chrisy like this.
    09-06-11 01:15 PM
    Pretty sure the OP asked why there was no half press button, not people's opinion on EDOF cameras and RIMs decision process.

Every time the threads have to devolve into this crap...
    09-06-11 01:22 PM
    Camera on the 9900 is fine for snaps and whatnot. I carry my dslr bag and a few lenses at all times if I want to actually take photos.

The only thing I dont like about edof cameras is due to the lack of AF, you can't really do macro shots. Its a fair tradeoff though for faster snaps and decent focus.
    09-06-11 01:33 PM
    I've read this excuse like a thousand times here and I still think it's a pretty conformist and outdated way of putting things..

Nowadays every other big player in the market gives you good phone capabilities AND a good camera amongst hundreds of features. So are you saying it's all good to be left out of modern capabilities every other decent smart phone have because "we buy cellphones and not cameras?".

Now with that being said I've seen pictures taken with the 9930 and think they are awesome so it doesn't really matter but damn dude it's not a $50 phone you're buying here.. It's a $500+ smartphone. Expect more than simple phone calls out of it .

For the most part people don't yet realize the difference between autofocus and continuous focus. This leads to the confusion.

How may times in autofocus have you tried to snap a photo only for the subject to move as you were about to snap the picture?...the end result is an unusable image.

Autofocus yes, is the most widely supported camera focus mode, In essence it is one-shot focusing, which is best for still subjects. The autofocus mode as I mentioned though is susceptible to focus errors for fast moving subjects or subjects that move before the shutter is fully pressed. Autofocus cannot anticipate subject motion. Auto focus is great when you have a perfectly still subject. The focusing requires a focus lock before the photograph can be taken. This is what people on their 9870 or os 6 devices notice when taking pictures. That slight freeze....then "click" when the image is taken.

Continuous focus, mostly available on higher end cameras supports an autofocus mode which continually adjusts the focus distance for moving subjects.

Nikon cameras refer to this mode as continuous focus which is what we see in the new Bold 9900. (Not Nikon�s focussing system though but they just called it the same). Those with Canon cameras notice this referred to as AI Servo focusing.

Continuous focussing works by predicting where the subject will be slightly in the future based on an estimation of the subject velocity using focus distance and movement. The camera then focuses at this predicted distance in advance to account for the shutter lag (which is the delay between pressing the shutter button and the start of the exposure as we see in autofocus shots in the 9870). This greatly increases the probability of correct focus for moving subjects.

There is no "downgrade" going on with regards to no autofocus. The camera in the bold 9900 is still auto-focussing but doing so on in a continuous mode...continually tracking the subject.

How many times have you tried taking a picture of someone blowing out a birthday candle with your 9780 only to get it blurry because the camera was trying to lock focus? Do that in continuous focus and chances are you have a clear shot. Now, drop the preview picture setting down to as low as possible (I believe you can turn it right off on the 9900) and then you can snap away.

I shoot photography as an advanced hobby. I can tell you that even when shooting still subjects my camera has continuous focus on (this is a $2,000 camera body) just in case I get some movement.

So to answer your question...you are not getting an inferior camera.
    Guatiao and NevadaJake like this.
    09-06-11 04:03 PM
    RIM did not use this type of camera to keep it thin as the Galaxy S2 is thinner than the 9900 and has one of the best cameras I have ever used! I think it had to do with money!
    Self appointed genius?
    09-06-11 04:31 PM
    Self appointed genius?
    I really hope this comment is a joke. Greg is one of the more knowledgeable members of CrackBerry and should be respected. For those that don't know, the S2 does have an awesome camera. When you hold up the camera, you can choose ANY point within the view to focus on, not just the middle.

OP, RIM cheaped out and didn't put an auto focus camera on the 9900. Say what you want but here in Canada, the 9900 is $549 from Rogers while the Torch 9800 is still $625. It does work fine as long as you don't hold it too close to the object. If the camera HAD auto focus, I don't want to know how much more juice it would take from the battery!
    09-06-11 08:40 PM
    This 9900 is my 4th BB, and the camera is CRAP. I use the camera to take pictures of things i need to remember, like a VIN on a car, or a business card or something else small, since it doesn't focus it is useless. And the battery is crap too, so they cant even use that as an excuse. Im getting rid of it asap and getting a different model.
    03-01-12 09:15 AM
    It's not continuous focus, which would in fact be an upgrade! it's fixed focus. Wile excellent for average day to day snaps, it gets less sharp the closer you get to the subject. If you want close ups of documents, VIN no's or business cards, they will be a bit fuzzy. Wrong phone for you if that is a major requirement.

As for battery, I found under OS 7.0.xxx it was bad, with OS 7.1.xxxx its acceptable, lasting me to the end of the day with 25% left after moderate use. Experience says this will get even better with later releases with all other BB's but we are stuck with the camera focus. I lurrv the phone tho!
    03-01-12 09:37 AM
    After reading this thread, I realize that I'm not the only one that would appreciate AF on the 9900. I use also the IPhone 4, and the camera as an AF fonction. You can take almost anything in picture and it will come out great. I don't think that RIM would have to do a complete change up to add AF to the 99XX phones. It must be only an add-on update or something.

As for the battery life, I found that the environnement that you find yourself into as an effect. I found out recently that I am EDGE from time to time. And on those days the battery life is poor (less than 6-7 hours). Otherwise, it's normal (15 hours on a charge.)

I continue to have faith in RIM and they are doing a great job. Keep it up.

Regarding the camera, we could start a thread showing the picutres taken with the 9900 camera to compare and maybe some people that are photograph savvy could help us.
    03-01-12 10:23 AM
    I like the camera. It's not the best in all situations, but if you really know how to use it and use the modes and such, you can still take stellar pictures, even of up-close objects and of text.

There are many threads exemplifying what I just said, I'm just too lazy to look them up...

Regardless, no there is NO autofocus on the 9900/9930
    03-01-12 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD