The 9900 camera is getting an undeserved bad reputation. I've tried the 9900, but haven't bought it yet because the AT&T store near me is sold out for a week. But, I've spent some time with the camera, and what I've found is this: It takes very sharp pictures; but don't use it as if it were an auto focus (obviously). When I took pictures of a document (black text on white), I didn't hold it too close and try to fill the frame. Initially the text didn't look sharp, but if I "pinched and zoomed" the pic to fill the screen after taking it, the text appeared very sharp indeed. (Note: I used the setting for text in camera settings for best results).

The upside of this was that I didn't need to hold the 9900 terribly steady and touch the screen to focus on the document. The depth of field for this camera easily covered where the document was placed.

The important thing I believe, is that you don't try to focus in to closely for a macro pic, but instead zoom to size after. From my trials, the results were that it's easier to maintain proper focus.

The camera is good, if you don't treat it like an auto-focus.
    dodger_moore and DaddyFizzle like this.
    11-13-11 05:14 PM
    I haven't had a problem with my 9900 camera either. Not as good as my iphone 4 but more than serviceable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-11 05:26 PM
    It's OK for capturing moments in most conditions, but I feel needs good lighting to get a shot worth taking. Helps also if everything is dead still.

Took this one in Scotland in September.
    11-13-11 06:37 PM
    I'd be satisfied with that shot. Was that taken after too many Scottish Ales?
    level likes this.
    11-13-11 06:43 PM
    Thanks, and lol! I was sober that day, driving south I tried to get a similar shot with my Canon 40D and in this case the result was more effective with the 9900. Not saying of course that the shot will blow up better, but the result looked nice.

Curiously I also find the 9900 camera good for shooting into the sun, in high contrast scenes (at least I think so).

I just wish it was more adept at capturing documents and low light scenes because it gets quite grainy compared with some other phones, but I do like it for outdoor stuff.
    DaddyFizzle likes this.
    11-13-11 07:26 PM
    Oh and I would like to say thanks for your tip of capturing documents Derby; I hadn't considered that and I think it will come in very useful, especially not having to hold the camera so steady. Cheers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-11 07:49 PM
    Maybe we need a Share Your 9900 Pix thread
    11-14-11 01:28 AM
    as long as it is not close up (close up text) the camera is more than fine
    11-14-11 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD