Unlike a lot of people still using the 9900, I'm not a 'legacy' BB user. I started with Android phones, and have had many of them....up to the LG G2, I've also owned a couple of iPhones, and still own a Lumia 1520. In addition to this, I have (and use) a Q10.

I only got my 9900 a month or so ago, but even though it has:

The smallest screen
    The slowest processor
    The lowest RAM
    The fewest apps

And so on........

I still keep returning to it.

No idea why. It seems to call to me when I switch to the Q10. Yes, I don't use many apps, and the keyboard on this thing is a joy to use, but still, it shouldn't be able to compete for my time against the phones I have sitting around in the house, but it does.

Not only does it compete for usage time, but it even wins the usage time competition.

Very strange.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-21-14 08:14 PM
    I hear you...it keeps calling me too...

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 06:02 AM
    Because it is a Beast of the Best of BB .(there is a reason they call it CrackBerry)
    10-22-14 07:10 AM
    Unlike a lot of people still using the 9900, I'm not a 'legacy' BB user. I started with Android phones, and have had many of them....up to the LG G2, I've also owned a couple of iPhones, and still own a Lumia 1520. In addition to this, I have (and use) a Q10.

I only got my 9900 a month or so ago, but even though it has:

The smallest screen
    The slowest processor
    The lowest RAM
    The fewest apps

And so on........

I still keep returning to it.

No idea why. It seems to call to me when I switch to the Q10. Yes, I don't use many apps, and the keyboard on this thing is a joy to use, but still, it shouldn't be able to compete for my time against the phones I have sitting around in the house, but it does.

Not only does it compete for usage time, but it even wins the usage time competition.

Very strange.

My bold 9780 keep calling me too.

White z10
    10-22-14 07:46 AM
    I know how you feel. At this point, I think I've finally committed to BB10 for good, but I have my 9930 sitting out on my desk so I can just look at it and tinker with it when I want to. Such an iconic device, even 3 years later.

Typed with dazzling speed and accuracy on my Q10
    LyoobaBerry and andy957 like this.
    10-22-14 08:05 AM
    I'm with you. I had virtually all the best of the best devices from Android and iPhones and of course BlackBerry. I currently have a Q10, Q5 and the Passport. But out of all of them, I still love 9900 the best. I'm the most productive and on top of everything with this device versus any other. Is the device perfect--No. But it is currently the best at the moment. If it only had a better camera (although I use a real camera for picture taking anyways), a little bit louder speaker like the Q10 or 9000, a browser as good as BB10, and better battery life, it would be perfect and I would never need another device; ever!. BBOS 7.1 is just the best IMHO at this time and someday (hopefully) BB10 will get there. But till then, I'm using the 9900. I'm so glad that I never sold it. That would have been my greatest regret. I don't know if you are using the latest hybrid by Sator, but that seemed to improve my battery life greatly. I no longer have to run around with a fatty pack to make it through the day. I've never seen the spinning clock either as it is running smooth as can be.
    Of the BB10 devices, I like the Q5 the best, as it is the closest to the 9900. Let's see how the Q20 turns out. I have a strange feeling that I will still be using my 9900 in the end.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    10-22-14 11:26 AM
    Having a Z10 I see myself also return to my 9900 from time to time. It is just more fun to write on it...or to look at it lying there on my desk.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by hplovecraft; 10-22-14 at 04:30 PM.
    David Robertson4 likes this.
    10-22-14 02:43 PM
    I can relate to that, just waiting on my new sim adapter, so I can fire it up again.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:16 PM
    I can relate to that, just waiting on my new sim adapter, so I can fire it up again.

Posted via CB10
    Careful with the Sim adapter - many people have damaged their phones with them.

You can position the smaller Sim on the pins and it works without the adapter.
    Volareman and yokogeri374 like this.
    10-22-14 07:25 PM
    Yep...it's not hard to line up up..much safer than adapters

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 09:11 PM
    I've never had a problem with a sim adapter yet. But I've only been going back and forth with micro sim to a standard sim. The phones (like the 9900) have fully exposed sim tray. But I can see where they can be a problem. I'm worried about converting my micro to a Nano to use in the Q20, if I get it. Because if it is anything like the Q10 or Q5 where it is crammed in the side, I don't feel like I have full control over the situation. I never converted over to Nano to use it in the passport for this reason and just used the passport on wifi. Has any of you put a Nano back into the Q10 or whatever without a adapter and got it to work?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 10:15 PM
    OMG - sim adaptor, Sator - more than this baby-berry understands, but my first BB phone is the 9900 - and I wasn't even sure it would get signal where I live (very near a Sprint tower, convenient for the 4s) and FIVE miles from nearest AT&T tower - no problem! the 9900 gets and makes calls clear as a bell. It's a workhorse. The speaker phone provides great clear sound so I can record interviews on my little digital recorder. I'm just so happy!!!!! I was afraid I had bought a lovely, gently used unlocked phone that would sit around my home office and look nice. NUH UH!!! I'm going to test-ride the heck out of this 9900 and pray for the day that I can get a Passport, but already the 9900 beats the heck out of the 4s for phone interviews. Low signal - omg, no worries! I'm thrilled with it! It's just a matter of getting accustomed to the OS, the features and the kb - am very much looking forward to spending time with the little beauty...
    10-22-14 11:22 PM
    PCK - A SIM adapter is just a small collar-like thing that allows you to 'change' a mini-, nano- or micro-SIM card to a larger size card. All it does is hold the smaller card in the right place, so that it can be used in a phone with a larger SIM slot.

However, while this sounds great, it can create problems. The adapters will frequently snag on the pins that read the SIM card (this is more likely to happen if you frequently switch the SIM card from one phone to another). When this happens, you may damage or completely snap a pin. This could make your phone useless.

They're not really necessary anyway.

I use my micro-SIM in my 9900 without an adapter, and it has yet to slip.

PonyCrazyKid and Frehley like this.
    10-23-14 10:17 AM
    I recently bought a second hand 9900, as I had always wanted to try one. It's now become my backup device, completely replacing my 9800 Torch.

Although I love my Z30, I have to say that the 9900 has an awesome physical keyboard. I have used previously the Q10 (as well as Q5 and various Legacy devices) and I'm torn, as to which one has the best keyboard.

Upon getting the phone, I was having a slight problem where battery seemed not to last much and when the phone got bumped (even slightly), it would reboot itself. I read that cleaning the battery and phone pins with a q-tip and a bit of alcohol would do the work. It actually did and no longer suffer the sudden reboot and for whatever reason, battery improved too (perhaps the phone was not giving proper battery levels). I also found that Wikitude was causing either a drain or wrong battery readings (if I did a battery pull after using it, the level would increase). So after uninstalling it no longer has such problem.

The only downfall I've found with the 9900 is that I could not install the game Sid Meier's Pirates. I had bought it years ago and used it on my previous 8520, 9700 and 9800. No luck having it on the Bold 9900 though...

It's a great device, solid, elegant and well built, actually wish I had used it back in the day... It also has some apps I use on the Z30: Dropbox, Evernote, CB10 and Facebook and I keep a copy of my contacts and Password keeper data. Therefore it does a great job with my secondary line, as my go to device when the Z30 is charging and also as an effective Mp3 player plugged to my car stereo.

Loved the Q10 but now it's Z30 power time!!!
    Last edited by JG_Agustin; 10-23-14 at 12:16 PM.
    10-23-14 12:02 PM
    I've never had a problem with a sim adapter yet. But I've only been going back and forth with micro sim to a standard sim. The phones (like the 9900) have fully exposed sim tray. But I can see where they can be a problem. I'm worried about converting my micro to a Nano to use in the Q20, if I get it. Because if it is anything like the Q10 or Q5 where it is crammed in the side, I don't feel like I have full control over the situation. I never converted over to Nano to use it in the passport for this reason and just used the passport on wifi. Has any of you put a Nano back into the Q10 or whatever without a adapter and got it to work?

Posted via CB10
    Rick- Yep. I just converted to a Nano SIM to use in my Lumia 1520, and have been using that in my 9900 for the last day. It works. You just have to make sure it is placed correctly. I can help with it if you can't figure it out.

Also....

This Sator hybrid you mention? Which is it? I use the BerryLicious one, and it seems to work well, though I am open to trying a new hybrid.
    10-24-14 08:31 PM
    This was a great phone. I have had a few 9900s

Posted via CB10
    David Robertson4 likes this.
    10-24-14 08:34 PM
    Hi Yohannrjm, thanks for the reply. The hybrid I'm using is RC 22 with the 7.1.0.1098. It is working just amazing. The only other hybrid that worked almost as good was RC13 with the 7.1.0.861. I've tried so many but kept coming back to RC13. But I always crash my phone after about a year and half or more to just reload a clean and fresh start so decided to try RC22. Boy, am I glad I did. It made a major difference in the battery life. I no longer have to run a fatty pack on the back to make it through the day. I've been running for almost 2 months now and it is smooth and appears to be flawless. If you haven't done it, give it a try. Oh, sorry for the delay. Work got kinda busy. Thanks again for everyone's input. My wife is now using my but now her passport and just loves it. But I'm still happy as can be with my 9900. Let's see what the Classic bring soon enough.
    10-25-14 01:26 PM
    Oh, I forgot to mention that it is the BerryLicio.us builds. Let me know how it works for you.
    10-25-14 01:31 PM
    One more thing in case anyone is going to try the hybrid. I'm not sure if it matter or not, but the base I'm using is the 7.1.0.1098_O2_UK. I had to download it twice because the first time I couldn't get the auto loader to recognize there is a new OS to load. I waste hours and hours trying to get it to recognize this, but nothing worked. I've delete the 2 vendors and everything. So I decided to download OS again from the same site and that was it. I must have gotten a bad download the first time. Have fun everyone.
    10-25-14 01:48 PM
    Hi Yohannrjm, thanks for the reply. The hybrid I'm using is RC 22 with the 7.1.0.1098. It is working just amazing. The only other hybrid that worked almost as good was RC13 with the 7.1.0.861. I've tried so many but kept coming back to RC13. But I always crash my phone after about a year and half or more to just reload a clean and fresh start so decided to try RC22. Boy, am I glad I did. It made a major difference in the battery life. I no longer have to run a fatty pack on the back to make it through the day. I've been running for almost 2 months now and it is smooth and appears to be flawless. If you haven't done it, give it a try. Oh, sorry for the delay. Work got kinda busy. Thanks again for everyone's input. My wife is now using my but now her passport and just loves it. But I'm still happy as can be with my 9900. Let's see what the Classic bring soon enough.
    How much of a difference in battery life ?
    ( between standard and hybrid OS )

Does it double it ?
    10-25-14 03:37 PM
    I found just shifting to the 7.1.0.1098_O2_UK official build (not a hybrid) available in the sticky in this forum improved my battery life fairly dramatically. I couldn't say how many hours, but making it through a day is never an issue, and I also noted at the time that the phone got much less hot after I moved to the O2_UK build.

I love the 9900. It's a great phone that just works.

I can't wait for the classic. I watched a youtube video the other day showing how the trackpad navigation works with BB10 (it's at 4:25 in the video below), and it seems to work just like in BBOS. The potential downside with the classic is the size. I'll have to see how it feels. It looks so big in comparison to the 9900 and Q10.

jrsva2008 likes this.
    10-25-14 06:34 PM
    I found the same thing...the 1098 leak was a great deal...

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 07:00 PM
    The 9900 is an ergonomic masterpiece, IMO. The ultimate culmination of, arguably, 10 years of evolutionary experience. A comfortingly relaxing pleasure to use. Especially single handed. No device i'm aware of, on any platform i'm aware of, better combines the comfortably compact external dimensions with the efficient precision of a superb tool belt equipped physical keyboard. The "just get the job done" UI also contributes it's share to low stress productivity. In contrast, my year long Q and Z commitment consistently left me feeling comparatively "cognitively fatigued" by the end of the day. 26 of us, in my office, unanimously agree on that. A rare unanimity, believe me.

Too bad BB couldn't find a way to fit BB10.3.1 along with upgraded proc&ram into the 9900 form factor and UI. Oh well, maybe SOME day.
    10-26-14 03:03 PM
    I am still getting accustomed to my 9900 but it's a great phone and it's fun to use. There are dead zones out here in the Virginia countryside, but it gets signal where nothing else can - and because BB saved my (writer's) bacon last summer in remote Kenya, I'm inclined to credit the phone. Whatever, it works for me! I'm a believer and I don't care about Apps as much as I care about phone and phone quality, texts that arrive within a reasonable time - not hours or days later. The bottom line is BB 9900 simply does the job for me.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-26-14 05:01 PM
    I hear you I'm going to buy the Note 4 soon but since my Curve is aging I'll also buy a bb 9900 its just the best phone BB ever made.

The size, built quality, features and productivity is unmatched. Bb 10 simply is too complicated for me

Sent from my BlackBerry
    10-27-14 12:38 AM
43 12