Maybe I should have known better than to buy an unlocked phone from Craigslist, but I once bought an unlocked Rogers 9000 that lasted me more than two years, so I figured, why not?

Anyway, I am having many similar issues with other users having Mexico 4 9900's like the housing not being perfectly flush, with light peaking through, but I can live with that. What I can't live with is the completely dysfunctional trackpad, which straight up does not work right, and I have compared it with other devices now to prove myself right.

That said, the device is an unlocked Telus 9900, which would void the warranty, but there is no way that this can be the end of the inquiry. A technicality like that does not permit RIM to sell brand new electronics that are defective without any recourse for the consumer. This is not a simple buyer-beware situation, as it is expected that when someone makes such a purchase, the device is expected to work.

Now, because I bought the phone from a third-party individual who happened to be a Telus employee living in New York and who is likewise unwilling to help or bring it to his company's attention for fear of losing his job, am I just supposed to roll over and allow RIM to screw me over like that? I am not sure what to do in the meantime as this is clearly a hardware issue, but there seems to be no where that I can go for help in the meantime until I am able to make enough of a fuss about it for someone to notice or care.

Let me know what you all can advise me to do because I do want the phone, but I believe that for the money I paid, I deserve to have the working device RIM should have shipped in the first place.

Anyone able to get this message out, please do so in order that RIM set these wrongs right.

For a video demonstrating the same problem, check out but that user was lucky enough or had enough foresight to be able to return his device to a store. I on the other hand am not so lucky.
    08-27-11 11:45 AM
    Yes, buy from an authorized store for sure...Problem solved.

good luck.
    08-27-11 11:47 AM
    Yes, buy from an authorized store for sure...Problem solved.

good luck.
    he already knows that he needs to buy it from an authorized dealer, hes here to find out how to fix the problem.

anyways did you try kijiji or craigslist? there are people there that can fix this sort of stuff, worst case scenario you can use the blackberry trade in plan, where you get a credit if you trade in your old phone and buying a new one.
    08-27-11 12:36 PM
    Have you contacted RIM?
    08-27-11 01:01 PM
    Even though I buy my phone from Telus, I usually just buy trackpads and replace it myself. 9780 trackpads are about 10-15 each and I can't imagine 9900 being significantly more.

I don't bother with warranty process because when I bring it in, I am without a phone for a week or stuck with some crappy ones.
    Last edited by costco1; 08-27-11 at 02:11 PM.
    08-27-11 02:09 PM
    A Telus Employee in New York. Sounds legit ...

Any cell phone repair company can replace the trackpad for ~$50.

And ... for all you know this phone was working properly when RIM shipped it. Maybe it was broken when it was stolen by the "Telus employee".
    Last edited by Alberta Blue; 08-27-11 at 02:16 PM.
    08-27-11 02:13 PM
    I recognized a smilar problem with the trackpad.
    When i use the browser the trackpad is too sensitive its even react to my movment if i move my finger like 1 or 2 centimeter above the trackpad ... which offten leads to missmovment.

But i only get this problem when i use the browser ... not if im on the home screen or anywhere else.
    So i assumed its a software problem since it only happends while useing the browser and beside that its working fine.
    08-27-11 02:19 PM
    Not sure what sort of trackpad issue you have, but the most common one has been the squeaky trackpad complaint which I also have... just received a replacement and this new one much better.
    08-27-11 02:25 PM
    Thanks for all input so far.

The problem is not a squeaky trackpad or a cursor that jumps around . . .

It is a generally unresponsive trackpad period, which does not seem to work at any sensitivity level, you just simply can't move it right, for example requiring you to swipe across it 5+ times before it will even move on the home screen from one icon to the next.
    08-27-11 02:43 PM
    Thanks for all input so far.

The problem is not a squeaky trackpad or a cursor that jumps around . . .

It is a generally unresponsive trackpad period, which does not seem to work at any sensitivity level, you just simply can't move it right, for example requiring you to swipe across it 5+ times before it will even move on the home screen from one icon to the next.
    Not trying to be impolite here... but did you try clean the trackpad with something which also removes lubricate?
    I remember when i had the 9700 the trackpad got unresponsive with the time ( i guess due to scrates on the trackpad surface ).
    But after i cleaned it dilligent it would work again quit well.

Maybe also check your trackpad for scratches and such.

by the way i upgeraded my 9900 and my problem with the too sensitive trackpad is solved now .... i was on 7.0.0.296 (.956 ) before.
    08-27-11 02:54 PM
    I have the exact same problem in the UK, I bought it off someone who recieved it as an upgrade from o2.

O2 unwilling to fix under warranty due to not being the original purchaser, RIM say contact your network operator.

Apple, HP, HTC and Nokia have all repaired phones for me based on the serial number, this phone was only launched a week ago, so of course it's under warranty.

Shoddy service from RIM.
    08-27-11 04:58 PM
    Dont buy hot phones. you get what you pay for...
    08-29-11 02:24 PM
    I dont see why he would be risking his job in any way selling you an unlocked 9900, unless it was stolen from the store. My brother works for Telus and he will sell phones off contract and unlock them for people, nobody at the store cares because hes bringing in revenue. Sounds like the Telus person you bought your phone from just wants to ignore the problem. But yeah, most companies want a proof of purchase before they will fix anything. Although I have personally had electronics fixed where all they wanted was the serial number, such is the case with Toshiba. However Sony will not repair anything under warranty without proof of purchase. Just my experience. You can try to install a new trackpad, like someone has stated already they are relatively inexpensive and are relatively simple to install. Hope it works out for you.
    08-29-11 02:44 PM
    Just follow this guide to repair the Blackberry 9900...

Blackberry Bold 9900 Repair and Dissassembly Guide
    10-01-12 04:27 PM
    That is the 9000, not the 9900 (yes it is labeled as the 9900, but it is clearly a 9000).
    10-18-12 02:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD