Recently decided to upgrade from my old 9790, and I loved that old phone, so when it died on me I decided to upgrade to the Bold 9900. Got the phone from the orange shop yesterday (1st may), took it home and charged the phone for the reccommended 6 hours. When I switched the phone, everything worked for about 2 hours.

That was until I downloaded the latest OS not sure what number it was but it was the software that came up when I looked for an upgrade in the settings. It downloaded fine. I put the phone and charge and went to bed.

Got up this morning took my phone off charge, and it turned itself off. Took the battery out and it did it again within 30 seconds. The battery life was at 100% and if I looked close enough it hadnt actually turned itself off, it had sort of dimmed and froze as I can still the page I was last on before it froze, although it was very faint, and when I try to move the cursor or type, nothing happens.

The only time it didnt shut itself off was the 2 hours it took to actually install the newly downloaded OS. I thought maybe if I un-installed it and went back to factory settings that might work, but I cannot actually get the phone to stay on for long enough to do that. I have to take the battery out and boot it back up to get it back on. It actually boots up fine though.

When I plug it into my PC via the USB the same thing happens. The screen goes blank and I cant do anything, so updating or installing that way isnt an option.

Has this happened to anyone else? Ive had a read of 10 pages or so and there seems to be alot of problems with this model. I spoke to Orange and they said they will replace the handset but I cant get back to the shop for another 5 days or, and whose to say it wont happen again with new phone.

Sorry for rambling on, but its very frustrating to have a phone less that 24 hours and for it to be playing up already. Especially as Im essentially phoneless for the next 5 days now.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    05-02-12 03:12 PM
    Sounds like it got messed up during the install of the os, it shouldn't take 2 hours. So it looks like your just going to have to wait to replace it, might just buy a cheap prepaid phone if you need one till it can get replaced. Sorry for the luck man

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-02-12 03:56 PM
    Are you using a different usb cable?

Certain usb cables cause the screen to shut off and the device to reboot when plugged in.
    05-02-12 04:02 PM
    I tried using the USB that came with the phone, and also the USB that doubles as the Charger. And even the USB that came with my old 9790, and all the same result(The screen going blank and freezing), yet they all work fine as a charger.

Im not sure if the update actually took 2 hours, it said it could take upto 2 hours, and I kept checking up on it for the first 20 mins and it was still on and updating, but then I left it, as I had a meeting. But the issue with it continually turning itself off, only occured after I had downloaded the latest OS, but before I had installed it.
    05-02-12 04:13 PM
    Sounds like the OS is screwed up then. It should never take 2 hours to update the OS.

I assume you already tried a security wipe, then reloading the OS through apploader?
    05-02-12 04:20 PM
    Like I said I dont know if it actually took 2 hours. The message on the screen said it could take upto 2 hours. I kept my eye on it for 20 mins and then had to go, so left it to update. For all I know it could have finished 30 seconds later.

And I cant do a security wipe, because I cant get the phone to stay on long enough. I get about 30 seconds if Im lucky.
    05-02-12 04:33 PM
    If you have BB Protect running you can try doing a remote wipe from the BB Protect website.
    05-02-12 04:39 PM
    Just wipe and reload the OS from the DM. Not hard to do and you'll waste time trying anything else if the phone won't stay on. Use BBSAK or Javaloader to wipe the phone.

You say you can't update through the PC because the "same thing happens"? Are you saying that the DM can't communicate with the phone and doesn't see the PIN?
    05-02-12 07:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD