I upgraded to the 9810 two weeks ago from a 9700, and the 9810 is generally a great device. My first choice was actually the 9900 but reading that the model had some bricking issues, I was hesitant to choose it for my upgrade even though I know it affects a very small percentage of the phones manufactured, so I opted for the Torch 2 instead.

The reason for this thread is while the 9810 is an upgrade of sorts from the 9700, I feel it is not quite an efficient a device for me. It's not because the 9810 is slow or sluggish, but not having the keyboard ready at all times does slow me down a little. The touchscreen is responsive but the feedback for me from pressing physical buttons is not the same. The one handed use is also more of a challenge such as typing in my password on the virtual keyboard. Of course I can use the physical keyboard, but my fingers are generally slippery, so pressing down on the screen with my thumb then attempt to slide and reveal the keyboard is not that easy for me.

I'm going off on a tangent now, but essentially, I have 2 weeks during the "upgrade testing phase" left. Do you think my fear of the 9900 bricking is irrational? Given my phone preference, should I make the change to the 9900?
    Last edited by cbfan123; 04-01-12 at 11:14 AM.
    04-01-12 11:09 AM
    being scared of a brick is childish

here are some steps to prevent bricking.
    Try and put phone on charge when battery still has more than 15% left
    Watch it to make sure its charging (takes like a minute to see a charge)
    Take it off charger when done

new software has fixed the 'bricking' issue but those are preventative steps.

I however run mine down to dead, charge it over night and leave it on there for hours.

Havent had a brick since November.
    04-01-12 11:16 AM
    Yup... your fear is irrational.
    04-01-12 11:16 AM
    On my second 9900 as the first was water damaged. I bought the first on UK launch week and haven't had any brick on me.

Just go for it. Get the 9900 if you aren't getting on with the 9810.
    04-01-12 11:27 AM
    Totally irrational. Get the device that works best for you, the one you want.
    04-01-12 11:29 AM
    As a new BB user late last year, I really freaked out when I got my 9930 because of all the horror stories I was reading. Every little red blinking anything didn’t sit well with me because I didn’t know anything about BB’s behaviors.

It has been four months for me with zero issues.

My husband got his 9930 in early January. We both charge overnight with no issues.

My husband accidently let his phone's battery run to zero twice, and that was a non-issue.

Take it from somebody that was nervous for a while, you should be fine. We love our 9930s and the experience that we have had becoming BB owners.
    04-01-12 11:41 AM
    You must and you will get the 99xx.
    04-01-12 11:52 AM
    No problem with my Bold 9900, meanwhile I had 2 Torches brick....go for the phone that will make you happy. Worse case scenario is if it does you fix or replace. 1 year warranty for new or 90 days if refurb.....
    04-01-12 11:56 AM
    I was a little freaked at first after reading all the "scary" stories in here. My husband finally pointed out that my fears were ruining my enjoyment of my new bb. Realized he was right and haven't looked back. I'm just careful about what I load on it. If I'm not sure an app or theme is compatible with the 9930, I don't "give it a spin for kicks." Life is too short to worry about the small stuff. If you want it, go for it and enjoy!
    04-01-12 11:57 AM
    Another 9930 with no bricking issues. Do it!

Stan M.
    04-01-12 12:05 PM
    Go get the 9900!
    04-01-12 12:06 PM
    I mean, I still have nightmares about my 9930 bricking, wake up shaking in a cold sweat, and then immediately grab my phone to see if anything had happened...

nothing has i encourage you to face your fears like me and take the plunge!
    04-01-12 12:07 PM
    I never had a bricked or nuked Bold 9900. I read here someone posted that the bricking issues are caused by the OS not the hardware. The leaked OS 7.1 that I am running have no issues at all.

I would go for a Bold 9900 because if you are hooked on the Bold 9700 keyboard like I am, then there is no other solution. The keyboard is the strongest link between RIM and myself. Otherwise I would be using an iPhone by now.

And... here's some encouragement;
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg[/YT]
    Last edited by mss-ca; 04-01-12 at 12:24 PM. Reason: encouragement
    04-01-12 12:22 PM
    Your fear is irrational. I've had my 9900 for almost a couple of months, during which time I've upgraded the OS 3 times and ran the battery down until it turned off several times. I've had no problems. I would recommend the 9900. Some of my colleagues have 9810. I like the screen, but the keyboard on the 9900 is better. I think the 9900 is the best BB yet.
    04-01-12 01:26 PM
    Hardware or software related, some do brick. What I find irrational is taking precautions. I would do the opposite. Research every behavior claimed to result in bricking, and torture your device with those activities. If it measures up, you have a good one. If it fails, replace it.
    mssca likes this.
    04-01-12 01:39 PM
    I've ran mine on stock OS for a while and no issues, same now with 7.1.0.xxx

Just go for it , you should be covered even if it DID brick, which is unlikely.
    04-01-12 02:17 PM
    Hardware or software related, some do brick. What I find irrational is taking precautions. I would do the opposite. Research every behavior claimed to result in bricking, and torture your device with those activities. If it measures up, you have a good one. If it fails, replace it.
    ...and don't forget to throw it under water for an hour or so. If it passes that test, you won't have to worry about it bricking!
    04-01-12 04:14 PM
    I would be scared to death and stick with the phone you don't like.
    04-01-12 04:42 PM
    When you get done doing everything you can to brick & "torture" your blackberry, care to post your findings for the rest of us? Thanks!
    04-01-12 04:42 PM
    Buy insurance, keep a current backup. This is all you have to do. Since the 7.1 updates the bricking threads have all but completely disappeared. You may as well stop driving, flying and eating red meat.
    04-01-12 04:47 PM
    Anyone know approximately how many bricked units made it out into the wild?
    04-01-12 06:58 PM
    When you get done doing everything you can to brick & "torture" your blackberry, care to post your findings for the rest of us? Thanks!
    So far I've charged it overnight almost every night for about 4 months. Sometimes, when I'm feeling REALLY risque I let the battery get low!!!
    04-01-12 07:04 PM
    Look you will get on a plane even though a crash would probably kill you, you drive a car and could wreck and die, you probably have done some other stupid things in life that could have caused you harm one way or another. If you buy a BlackBerry Bold 9930 I think you will be safe and you will enjoy it. Do it!
    04-01-12 07:05 PM
    So far I've charged it overnight almost every night for about 4 months. Sometimes, when I'm feeling REALLY risque I let the battery get low!!!
    Lol! Haven't gotten brave enuff to let my battery get below 30%. Maybe tonight's the night.
    04-01-12 07:21 PM
    I've had mine go to 7% a few times. Not great for the battery, but has never nuked or bricked.
    04-01-12 08:07 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD