I'm just throwing this out there from my own experience, but could the bricking issue be caused by the battery? I ask this because I'm on my 2nd 9900 after my first 'bricked', I looked at my screen to see 70% battery before bed and I wake up to find it dead, not turning on, constant red light. I charged it for an hour and nothing. Orange sent me a new handset (just the handset, no battery or back door. I had to use my originals) and as I put my original battery in my new handset I noticed it would still not turn on to begin with, it wasn't until after having it on charge for about half an hour that it started to boot up.

Then the other night, the same thing happened again (this is now about 2 months later), one moment I have 40% battery, I look again after 15 minutes and the thing won't turn on. I tried everything, charged it for about 30 minutes, did a battery pull, wiped the contacts on the inside of the device but still nothing, then after about an hour (not on charge) it just randomly decided to boot up and work again after deciding to do another battery pull. Orange have sent me a new battery anyway, but I just wanted to know whether it could be the batterys suddenly draining (for whatever reason) that is causing the device to brick? Or is it OS related, as in something occuring while the phone is on that sucks all the battery life away?

Or, on the other hand, I just had a faulty battery and my phone never actually 'bricked'. Thoughts?
    01-24-12 02:09 PM
    No, what you are explaining is very common. It is normal for the unit to need charging for a while before it will reboot if the battery is 100% dead.

I am convinced it is a hardware problem or RIM would have fixed it.

RIM knows, they are just not talking.
    01-24-12 02:36 PM
    I don't know if it's related but it looks like we're seeing less bricked 9900's since the last 7.1 leaks...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-12 03:05 PM
    my theory is this:

with the 7.0.0.xxx, the battery issue where its fully charged, it goes from 99+ to 92 in matter of minutes, i sense that it tricks the charging and puts it into a loop and which can/or does cause the bricking
    01-24-12 03:32 PM
    my theory is this:

with the 7.0.0.xxx, the battery issue where its fully charged, it goes from 99+ to 92 in matter of minutes, i sense that it tricks the charging and puts it into a loop and which can/or does cause the bricking
    My theory is that was actually a temporary fix.

As it only happened in the later OS versions, I believed that 'missing' 8% was somehow being kept in reserve to prevent the battery from ever becoming fully depleted.

I guess we'll never know what the true reason for that drop was, but I doubt it was an accidentally introduced bug.
    01-24-12 03:42 PM
    My theory is that was actually a temporary fix.

As it only happened in the later OS versions, I believed that 'missing' 8% was somehow being kept in reserve to prevent the battery from ever becoming fully depleted.

I guess we'll never know what the true reason for that drop was, but I doubt it was an accidentally introduced bug.
    my stock came with .250 and now update to .590 and both had the 8% drop, which earlier version didnt have this ?
    01-24-12 03:47 PM
    my stock came with .250 and now update to .590 and both had the 8% drop, which earlier version didnt have this ?
    No, the 8% drop is only present in .576 .579 .585 .590 and .598 for the 9900, and in 7.1.0.163 for the 9930. It wasn't present in any OS builds prior to these.
    01-24-12 03:50 PM
    No, the 8% drop is only present in .576 .579 .585 .590 and .598 for the 9900, and in 7.1.0.163 for the 9930. It wasn't present in any OS builds prior to these.
    Speaking on behalf of my Verizon 9930 Phill is correct. The drop never existed until
    the 7.1.0.163. The concensous from Moderator BigBadWulf is the later versions starting in the .500 for 9900 and the 7.1 for the 9930 has resolved the Bricking issue.
    01-24-12 04:22 PM
    Speaking on behalf of my Verizon 9930 Phill is correct. The drop never existed until
    the 7.1.0.163. The concensous from Moderator BigBadWulf is the later versions starting in the .500 for 9900 and the 7.1 for the 9930 has resolved the Bricking issue.
    Agreed. We may never know if 7.1 is a "fix". They will never admit fault, therefore RIM may forever keep their silence.
    01-24-12 04:29 PM
    Even if it was "being kept in reserve to prevent the battery from ever becoming fully depleted" it sure did bother the he** out of me.
    01-24-12 05:07 PM
    Was just going thru my event log for the heck of it and noticed logs for "E Home Screen App - New battery level 100 status 6." The percentages change as my battery charges and discharges and so the numbers vary as does the status number. It's simply logged as an error and my 9930 running the latest Sprint software is acting fine. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and is it something I need to worry about. With all the brickings being reported this bb has me spooked. Thanks in advance.
    01-25-12 12:02 AM
    Still think it is a hardware problem and that RIM OS updates is a work around to avoid the hardware glitch.
    01-25-12 06:43 AM
    Still think it is a hardware problem and that RIM OS updates is a work around to avoid the hardware glitch.
    If you had to guess, do you think its a defective battery or battery size. Or could it be the way the phone interacts with the battery. The battery would be a much easier fix then the phone. That being said I believe like many others, with there work arounds this is a dead issue.
    01-25-12 07:49 AM
    Has anybody thought of using a universal external battery charger? You'll need two batteries, one to swap out once one drains. Because that's what I have been doing since I got my 9700. Battery drain, bricking, I think it's related to the battery reporting it's charged when it isn't even half way charged. Consider it, I haven't had any of those issues, but I think it's related to the battery.
    01-25-12 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD