Hi everybody,

I have the opportunity to get a Bold 9900 for cheap ; the phone is in very good condition but doesn't boot. After reading pages and pages about this issue, I think the phone may be "nuked" or "bricked" (not so sure with the terms).

The phone starts when its plugged, then the red light blinks and stays on while the screen goes blank, with a loading image, and then completely goes black. And the phone reboots over and over again, but the OS never loads.

I'm quite familiar with blackberry os, as i already had several blackberries, and i'm used to loading an os with bbask, wiping an os... But i don't know if I should get this bold 9900, as I'm not sure it can be fixed.

Can I be sure that I will be able to fix the Bold if it is bricked (i mean by wiping the os, and reloading a new one via bbask or desktop manager) ? I won't be able to return the phone to my carrier, so if I can't fix it I lost all the money i spent, or try to sell it again...
    Can I be sure that there's no hardware issue, and that in fact the software is not what bricked the phone ?

Thank you in advance for your help
    04-01-12 12:08 PM
    Tell the person to let you try to fix it. If you fix it, then buy it.

You should know pretty quick if the unit will corporate.

Otherwise, I would stay clear.
    04-01-12 12:36 PM
    Because there's possibility that the phone can't be fixed at all?
    Its hard to believe for the price of it
    04-01-12 12:49 PM
    Hi everybody,

I have the opportunity to get a Bold 9900 for cheap ; the phone is in very good condition but doesn't boot. After reading pages and pages about this issue, I think the phone may be "nuked" or "bricked" (not so sure with the terms).

The phone starts when its plugged, then the red light blinks and stays on while the screen goes blank, with a loading image, and then completely goes black. And the phone reboots over and over again, but the OS never loads.

I'm quite familiar with blackberry os, as i already had several blackberries, and i'm used to loading an os with bbask, wiping an os... But i don't know if I should get this bold 9900, as I'm not sure it can be fixed.

Can I be sure that I will be able to fix the Bold if it is bricked (i mean by wiping the os, and reloading a new one via bbask or desktop manager) ? I won't be able to return the phone to my carrier, so if I can't fix it I lost all the money i spent, or try to sell it again...
    Can I be sure that there's no hardware issue, and that in fact the software is not what bricked the phone ?

Dont purchase it under this condtions!!!!! I have replaced five (5!) bold with the same fault. Nothing works- reinstallation of the OS, complete wipe... I assume its a blackberry build in mexico?!?
    04-01-12 12:53 PM
    I have no idea where it was built. I'm from Europe and it was purchased in Europe...
    04-01-12 12:56 PM
    Because there's possibility that the phone can't be fixed at all?
    That is correct. The seller would fix it if he/she could.

We have seen these scenarios (cheap phone not working) in the past and people have wasted their money.

It is not worth the risk unless you can get your hands on it for a few and determine what you can do with it. No fixie, no buyie!
    04-01-12 12:57 PM
    Well for the amount you paid, do you not think the device should work? Is it under warranty? Could you even return it? If you even have to ask, just do not buy it.
    04-01-12 12:59 PM
    Hi everybody,

If you want a 9900 you should buy it new. I know its a little expensive but if you buy this one your describing it may end up costing you more than a new one. Lots of people on these forums think they know all there is to know about repairing, upgrading, etc. But if your not trained and working in the field I just don't see it. It like getting your dentist to change your cars oil. If you want a Bold 9900/9930 then save up buy a new one.
    anon2100101 likes this.
    04-01-12 01:01 PM
    I have no idea where it was built. I'm from Europe and it was purchased in Europe...
    Have a look inside under the battery... Or the original Box....
    I'm german and my bold was build in hungary... My daughters FFF (Five F******g Fones) werden build in mexico. A friendly of mine had have a similar fault... Made in mexico...
    04-01-12 01:01 PM
    Well, thank you all for your very helpful answers !

I'll try to fix the phone by myself if the seller agrees. Or I will let it go ; as I thought, it seems to be the smartest decision to make.
    04-01-12 01:04 PM
    Dont purchase it under this condtions!!!!! I have replaced five (5!) bold with the same fault. Nothing works- reinstallation of the OS, complete wipe... I assume its a blackberry build in mexico?!?
    I can imagine Serversurfer spent many, many hours of his precious time trying to revive his phones which most likely resulted in massive frustrations. Take it from somebody that would know.

Step away from that BB!
    04-01-12 01:07 PM
    Well, thank you all for your very helpful answers !

I'll try to fix the phone by myself if the seller agrees. Or I will let it go ; as I thought, it seems to be the smartest decision to make.
    Good luck!
    04-01-12 01:08 PM
    I don't think it is a lost cause. If it is attempting to boot it isn't bricked. When mine bricked it would not begin the startup routine. You could try booting into "safe mode". When it begins its cycle, press and hold the "return or (back key)". If you do get it to boot into safe mode, delete all 3rd party apps. All it takes is 1 bad app to totally scramble a berry. Personally I think it is a conflicting app or a corrupt file. If it is truly bricked, when you plug it into a pc it won't be able connect. Like I said, I believe it is salvagable. Best of luck with your decision.
    Last edited by albee 1; 04-01-12 at 05:02 PM.
    04-01-12 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD