ok my 9900 bricked itself, slow red blink 2 weeks ago and the seller whom i bought would not replace it. so after going with several repair shops, the problem definitely isnt software, its hardware. the motherboard has to be replaced. so ive ordered new motherboard through them and hopefully it will be fixed soon. hope this might help others with their bricking devices and other BB experts.
    11-12-11 05:50 AM
    This is all very sad news for RIM. Just another nightmare for them and their hardware users.
    11-12-11 07:14 AM
    This is all very sad news for RIM. Just another nightmare for them and their hardware users.
    Really? Do you know the % of 9900 that are bricking? It could be a low number mine is perfect and know lots of others that are great too. Plus if you look on here you can see lots of people that have no problems at all. Most people only post the bad stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-11 07:19 AM
    Really? Do you know the % of 9900 that are bricking? It could be a low number mine is perfect and know lots of others that are great too. Plus if you look on here you can see lots of people that have no problems at all. Most people only post the bad stuff.

I can remember, years ago, when posts like these were nearly non-existent. I realize that the ones who have no problems do not post as much as the one who have problems, but there are too many bricked posts here. A Blackberry used to be near impossible to brick to the point where it could not be recovered, now it seems way more common.

Nice to see people, like you, who are still posting so quickly to protect the brand.
    11-12-11 07:45 AM

So what is you're acceptable percentage? We also do not see the data from all the users that never come on these forums, or don't post. How about ten percent.... Now think about the same percentage of cars not starting the day after purchase or laptops with a blinking screen, I think many people here have gained an unnatural level of acceptance for crap. I love the 9900 however I will be staying with the galaxy until this stuff is worked out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-12-11 07:48 AM

So after buying the 9900 for 2 months and spending over $600 for a phone to brick itself and not being able to repair I should not complain or post about it? RIM is still quite about this instead of posting a solution for it.

11-12-11 08:17 AM
    I can remember, years ago, when posts like these were nearly non-existent. I realize that the ones who have no problems do not post as much as the one who have problems, but there are too many bricked posts here. A Blackberry used to be near impossible to brick to the point where it could not be recovered, now it seems way more common.

Nice to see people, like you, who are still posting so quickly to protect the brand.
    There are also many, many times more people using BB's now than there were years ago, not to mention a few million more CB users. I'm very sure the percentages of bad hardware are much lower now than than they were then. While such issues with their flagship device are still a bit of a black eye, they are doing the right thing to resolve it.
    To me, it's very disappointing to see people like you who were so high on the brand just a short time ago so quickly turn sour on it and take every opportunity to bash it. Very disappointing.

@vicks, unfortunately there is no solution for the issue other than to replace the phone. It appears that you purchased yours from a private party? I truly do understand your frustration, and I am sorry for the situation you're in. If you had purchased from an authorized retailer, they would most likely replace the device with a new one, which I know is of little consolation right now. The only thing I'd suggest is checking with your wireless carrier stores and see if there's anything they might be able to do for you. I wish I had some better advice for you. Best of luck with the repairs.
    grover5 likes this.
    11-12-11 08:32 AM
    Adding this thread to the list.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hreads-668265/
    11-12-11 09:42 AM
    I'm very sure the percentages of bad hardware are much lower now than than they were then.
    Based on what? It's not reasonable to draw that conclusion. The issues with the Bold stand out among all other BB devices. There is clearly something wrong. This is not merely a result of more units in the market and more bloggers.

Also, in one breath you say the defects are lower, implying there is nothing wrong. Then in the next you say they are trying to fix it.
    11-12-11 09:54 AM
    I have to agree, we are not talking about creaky battery doors our crooked trakpads here, this is a bigger issue. People are spending good money to purchase devices with a reputation of being the best communication devices out there, and they cannot rely on them working in the morning. There is a thread where one gentleman was on an overseas business trip and had his bold brick on him, losing all contacts and ability to contact the people he was there to do business with. That made me feel bad for him and really shows how big of an issue this can be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-12-11 10:05 AM
    It does suck, and it may be an issue, but rim will repair it for free. All I was saying before was that everyone is so quick to bash it and say its a huge problem and make it seem like many people are having brick issues. I'm just saying do we know what % the bricking issues is affecting? I'm sure its very low (and even though it is low it does suck for the people that it happens too) but rim does fix it. Its not like they leave you hanging

11-12-11 10:34 AM
    Wont buying a new motherboard give you a new pin? o.O
    11-12-11 10:37 AM
    Add me to the bricked list. Had a very low battery one night, put the phone on the charger, confirmed it was charging and went to bed. Woke up to the slow red blinking light of death. Mine is a sprint phone and after some negotiation they are replacing the phone. At first they gave me some lip about not having insurance but I politely explained that this was a warranty issue and then they wanted to replace the battery. That did not work of course so now I should have a new one on monday. This is a signifigant problem. My 9700 was bullet proof for 2+ years with nary a glitch. I sure hope RIM gets its act in order.
    11-12-11 02:20 PM
    Hey guys. I don't mean to spam this thread with my own. But I'm trying to track which devices are being bricked. Please just post the PRD info under your battery on this post if your device is bricked. It would really help as my device bricked as well and I'm trying to solve the issue. Thanks

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...cement-668999/
    Chrisy and davmer2303 like this.
    11-12-11 02:30 PM
    To me, it's very disappointing to see people like you who were so high on the brand just a short time ago so quickly turn sour on it and take every opportunity to bash it. Very disappointing..
    You disappoint easily.

I still use Blackberry on occasion but not like I used to do. Still use the Galaxy S2 and 4S more. The Galaxy S2 is hard for anything to beat. I did have blind loyalty for years and years but it is hard to ignore all the new equipment hitting the market. I still have feelings for RIM, but no matter what you say their quality is NOT near what it used to be.

This "bricked" thing is starting to sound like the stuttering keyboard that RIM never even admitted was a problem.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 11-12-11 at 04:28 PM.
    11-12-11 04:24 PM
    The biggest frustration that I have with all this is the total silence from RIM.

Surely it would not hurt RIM to let us know what the problem is, and if there is somethign that we can do to avoid it / or recover from it.

Many users have bought "online" as they are not willing to change their carrier to the only carrier that RIM has done a deal with in their country, or they do not want a new contract and would rather buy outright - but those users, rather than being appreciated for their passion and determination to have access to the product, those users are being penalised even further by ZERO information and ZERO help.

I myself contacted a RIM sales chap in my country, they have no techs here - and he said that he was only involved in sales ... I said that I think this is the start of a serious hardware issue and he said that I could email him what I knew and he would look into it - and I got no reply at all. Not even a "thanks, I have passed this to the techs". I sent a follow-up a week later and got nothing back. What a tosspot.
    11-12-11 05:00 PM
    Based on what? It's not reasonable to draw that conclusion. The issues with the Bold stand out among all other BB devices. There is clearly something wrong. This is not merely a result of more units in the market and more bloggers.

Also, in one breath you say the defects are lower, implying there is nothing wrong. Then in the next you say they are trying to fix it.
    Based purely on speculation and observation, as I've yet to see any hard numbers from which to draw a definitive conclusion, which is why I said "I'm sure" and not "it's a fact that". If this problem were happening to the degree of, say, the iPhone 4 antenna issue, then we'd have some serious cause for concern. It is not. The only place I've seen any mention of it is here on the CB forums. BGR hasn't even bothered to give it a mention yet, and they jump all over anything about RIM that smells remotely negative. And before people start climbing all over my case, I am in no way suggesting that the iPhone antenna issue was anywhere near as critical as the BB bricking issue (although a phone that has difficulty making phone calls certainly did have me scratching my head). More prevalent, yes; but far less critical.

Your last statement makes absolutely no sense. Saying defects are lower is in no way suggesting there is nothing wrong; there absolutely is a problem, and it's a pretty severe one, but in my opinion it is fairly isolated and not as widespread some people are making it out to be.

Two main factors in evaluating the criticality of a problem are severity (how bad is the problem) and occurrence (how widespread is the problem), two distinctly different but equally significant measures. My statement acknowledges that the severity of this problem is high, but presumes the occurrence is low. I know that RIM is addressing customer issues by replacing defective devices (at least those purchased through authorized carriers and retailers). I assume that RIM has corrected the cause of the problem, quite possibly at the insistence of at&t.
    11-12-11 05:09 PM
    ^^^
    Welcome the RIM "world"

11-12-11 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD