as per others have reported:

- was around 15% battery, plugged in to charge before I went to sleep
    - wake up to the dead 9900
    - will not boot
    - on battery pull red LED for 10 secs, than repeats of 5 sec intervals (appears to be stuck in some type of loop)
    - spend several hours trying all the standard suggestions found -- nothing worked -- could never get past the JVM connection when trying to reinstall OS
    - called Rogers who sent me to two stores that would have loaner units; of course they did not
    - had to fly out that PM so I paid retail price of $650 for a new one
    - after 2hrs of yelling at Rogers best they would offer me is $35/month rebate for 6 months -- and I'm typically really good weaving my way through escatlated customer relations. They were prepared to let me cancel $4200/month of major account cable services (I was pissed!!!!!)

Out of the box I installed .540 -- this unit is night/day from the last one. Battery life is better than my 9780. With heavy use over 12 hrs I'm still @ 60%

There was clearly a bad batch of units in the system.
    12-05-11 09:59 PM
    Start the process now to get your dead phone replaced under warranty.

Return the new one when you get home and get your $650 back.

Tell Rogers to shove it.

Realize that these big companies cannot see the forest through the trees when it comes to their big customers. If you're spending $4200/mo with Rogers you should have a corporate rep to beat on.
    12-05-11 10:06 PM
    - I am sending the bricked one back for a swap -- hopefully they don't send me another dud. I will give the replacement to my wife and her 9780 will become our spare so I'm not put in this situation again

- Between major cable accounts + associated internet / wireless accounts it's more like $6500/month. I whaled on my cable business account rep -- she told me they wouldn't let her influence a wireless issue no matter how hard she kicked and screamed. I use to have a wireless business rep manager until we realized that retail pricing was often better than corp plans -- set out new policy to reimburse our 50+ employees now so they police the best bang-for-buck in the Rogers market now -- works better $$ but no business rep to pound over the head.

- Like I said, I'm the guy that people come to when they want Rogers to behave right -- they didn't care what I would have done -- they weren't going to offer me more than $200 over 6 months as compensation. And this after last year I cancelled a major cable account and went over to Bell Xvu who do a great job of modulating their signal over existing coax in our buildings.

I'm so pissed @ Rogers I still may jump ship.
    12-05-11 10:24 PM
    I don't think your phone was a 9900 if it was from Rogers... But anyhow, good luck on fixing your phone.
    12-05-11 10:42 PM
    Yes, it is a 9900.
    12-05-11 10:50 PM
    Oh I thought 9930 was Rogers
    12-05-11 10:52 PM
    Sorry about your luck friend. This begs to ask, what are we to do with the 9900's? Should I let the battery go below the 15% and see if I got a bad batch and correct the issue now since I'm under warranty or do I just face this several months from now when I may not have coverage?

This is unbelievable! Wonder what the atmosphere is like at RIM offices right now? I sure as **** am frustrated and I'm just a single consumer!!!
    12-05-11 11:14 PM
    Rogers is a joke. Their customer service is non existence and they don't care about loyal current customers.

Damn, you were running the latest .540 and it still bricked? This clearly proves that it's a hardware problem and not software issue related.

Everyone's 9900 is a ticking time bomb.. Just waiting for the day we wake up to a brick phone.
    12-06-11 12:27 AM
    Rogers is a joke. Their customer service is non existence and they don't care about loyal current customers.

Damn, you were running the latest .540 and it still bricked? This clearly proves that it's a hardware problem and not software issue related.

Everyone's 9900 is a ticking time bomb.. Just waiting for the day we wake up to a brick phone.
    I don't think he said .540 bricked - the first one he had did which likely had .261 on it.

FWIW I've always had great customer service from Rogers...and I'm not spending $4,200 a month. Having said that I haven't had any issues with them lately so maybe their policies have changed.
    12-06-11 12:41 AM

Rogers = Robbers

I'm on .503, woke up 2 days ago to find my 9900 stuck in a reboot loop. Right away thought all hope was lost but then tried a batt pull just to be sure it was bricked and not nuked and voila booted right up. Saved me a trip to the store but you're right they're like ticking time bombs!
    12-06-11 12:49 AM
    You cx warned us that the 9900 had issues and that was the reason at&t waiting . It ia a hardware issue plain and simple
    12-06-11 04:26 AM
    I wasn't running .540 on the bricked device, it was .4something.

Anyway, this new one on .540 is preforming very well. Still pissed at Rogers!
    12-06-11 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD