Sorry for posting another thread about this, but I haven't found one that is like mine

I was using the blackberry today and it completely died on me, was texting and boom, it turned off, wouldn't turn back on at all, plugged it into the charger, and the LED blinks in a patern of : (- means a very short pause) 1- -2-3-4- - - 1- -2-3-4 etc and the computer doesn't recognise it at all, no matter how hard I try, when it first died, it would turn back on it the battery was held at an angle, like, not all the way in, but just a little bit out, but it would say insert sim card and the blackberry ID thing would come up saying you have a new sim, then I took it home and plugged it into the charger, and ever since then, it will only do the same LED sequence, I can't take it back to my carrier as they demand a receipt, and I don't have it, anyway I can fix it? I have tried the thing where you open the loaded and get USB-PIN : UNKNOWN but no matter how many times I try, it will always stay blank and never show any pin, known or unknown, HELP!
    11-28-11 04:18 AM
    First thing to try is remove battery, sim and microSD and let the phone sit like this for some time, press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds with no battery in order to drain any remaining power in the circuitry... Let it sit for an hour and then insert just the battery and see if it boots...
    11-28-11 07:23 AM
    Nope, have tried everything like that, won't boot at all, just the lights, no matter what I try.
    11-28-11 07:45 AM
    If you can't reload OS .540 on it, then take it back for replacement.
    11-28-11 07:53 AM
    They are refusing to take it back because I don't have proof of purchase, they wouldn't even let me pay for a repair.
    11-28-11 07:59 AM
    There is no 'repair' for a bricked phone.

Keep trying to load OS .540 onto it, many have been lucky with this after several attempts.
    11-28-11 08:03 AM
    It is not being recognized by the compute AT ALL! nothing, zip, nada. and I have tried like 30 times.
    11-28-11 08:13 AM
    Keep trying... http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=32322

Otherwise you have yourself a very expensive paperweight
    11-28-11 08:25 AM
    Keep trying... http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=32322

Otherwise you have yourself a very expensive paperweight
    If this doesn't work, You may need to investigate your warranty with RIM, provided you haven't modified the hardware (broken the warranty sticker, water damage, etc) you may be able to get some help, and potentially a replacement, although there may still be some cost involved, it should be less than a new device outright.
    11-28-11 08:51 AM
    Unfortunaly RIM said that it must go through the carrier in which it was bought, and they wern't prepared to do anything for me.
    11-28-11 08:54 AM
    Where did you get it from? bring it back there, this is a new phone there should be warranty of some sort.
    11-28-11 10:17 AM
    Where did you get it from? bring it back there, this is a new phone there should be warranty of some sort.
    If he can't prove that the device was purchased through that carrier, or that he purchased it at all, and if the device is unbranded, then it's partially understandable why they would refuse service.

However RIM have a responsibility to provide warranty service to devices if the carrier refuses, so I think he may need to investigate that option further.
    11-28-11 10:19 AM
    yea i have the same problem with my phone. Tried everything.
    Blackberry has already admitted that this issue does exist.
    If someone can give advice regarding unbricking a 9900 via software/hardware it would be a lot of help. Telling me to go to my provider and go through waranty is advice that i initially gave myself, and it didnt work.
    11-28-11 06:15 PM
    Try this

Download BBSAK

install, run, connect 9900 via usb

it likely won't first see your 9900

on BBSAK click Kill Processes

It may take several times

if it connects click Wipe Device

Close BBSAK

Make sure 7.0.0.540 is installed

Reload OS via Blackberry Desktop Software 7.0(find and install if you don't have)

if none of this works then it most likely is bricked
    Last edited by kccman; 11-28-11 at 06:51 PM.
    11-28-11 06:46 PM
    Another thing to try is to uninstall Blackberry Desktop Manager and all OS's loaded, restart your PC, re-install the software and see if it detects your 9900
    11-28-11 06:50 PM
    Unfortunaly RIM said that it must go through the carrier in which it was bought, and they wern't prepared to do anything for me.
    One more reason why RIM should go bankrupt! Apple Canada replaces iPhones at ANY Apple stores without the carrier involvement, My brother's iPhone was replaced 2 times already. If you are in Ontario, go to the RIM head office and yell at the first person you meet. If that won't work, call media to show who is the boss. I am sick of RIM and many other companies giving customers run around. I am not an Apple fan, but Apple Canada set a great example on how customer support should be!

Sorry for my rant, but I am beginning to hate RIM customer service.
    11-28-11 06:55 PM
    One more reason why RIM should go bankrupt! Apple Canada replaces iPhones at ANY Apple stores without the carrier involvement, My brother's iPhone was replaced 2 times already. If you are in Ontario, go to the RIM head office and yell at the first person you meet. If that won't work, call media to show who is the boss. I am sick of RIM and many other companies giving customers run around. I am not an Apple fan, but Apple Canada set a great example on how customer support should be!

Sorry for my rant, but I am beginning to hate RIM customer service.
    I understand what you mean, my iphone wouldn't turn on at all, gave apple my serial number and they agreed to replace it. Unfortunately I live in the UK so going to Ontario to the head office is impossible
    11-29-11 04:10 AM
    Oh, by the way, it is vodafone branded, when it turned on the vodafone logo came up,but they still refused to take it without a receipt, so going to see if carphone ware house will take it if I pay.
    11-29-11 04:12 AM
    this is why I am glad I did not upgrade
    11-29-11 06:54 AM
    Thanks for your help raysivley, if you have nothing helpful to say then don't say anything at all.

Took it to a place on the market, I think they said they are going to try to flash a new firmware via JTAG
    12-02-11 05:32 AM
    Try this link. It does work. It may take several tries but it will work.How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked or Bricked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    12-02-11 08:28 AM
    That does not work at all, tried about 30 times. Unfortunately got the phone back from the repair place and they were unable to fix it, looks like I am stuck with a �550 brick
    12-05-11 06:19 AM
    I hope that you're posting on every RIM forum you can find (the corporate ones), and tagging them in twitter posts that describe your situation. It's just crazy that RIM won't take this back ... they clearly manufactured the phone, it clearly doesn't work, and they clearly have some responsibility.

And that "proof of purchase" stuff is crazy too. The IMEI number and PIN are unique to each phone and registered when you got your phone. Your place of purchase should be able to produce a copy of your proof of purchase without any difficulty.

Anyway, don't be complacent about this; make some noise!
    12-05-11 07:00 AM
    Vodafone refused to anything without proof of purchase, apparently showing them the phone and box isn't enough, and apparently they don't keep records, which is stupid.
    12-05-11 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD