I went through my steps of greiving and I hate to get testy but I don't care WHAT it's called, bricked, nuked, whatever, it doesn't freaking work, and hasn't showed ANY signs of life no MATTER what I do. There are a lot of other names I'd like to call it...
    36thDisciple likes this.
    12-08-11 04:42 PM
    I agree that the time involved in fixing nuked phones is too much for most people but blackberries are among the hardest phones to totally 'hard brick'.

I have recovered many blackberries that people thought were bricked, and while I have been lucky enough to not have had problems with my 9900, I certainly wouldn't give up due to JVM problems. I've found that patience and timing are significant factors, and with a phone as new/expensive as the 9900 I personally wouldn't give up before 5-10 tries AT LEAST. If any of you decide to give up I would be happy to buy your 9900 'for parts'.

Sent from my Atrix/SGS2/9900 via Tapatalk
    12-08-11 05:19 PM
    This issue isn't fixed yet? Geez, c'mon, RIM! I'm waiting til this is over until I upgrade to to. I don't have the time to mess with a bricked ir nuked device. Well, I do have the time but I don't want to waste it on that.
    12-08-11 05:29 PM
    A bricked 9900/9930 has a red light that comes on every 10 seconds or so for about 5 seconds, but shows no other sign of life. You can connect it to Desktop Manager, and start to reload the OS, but the process stalls when DM is trying to connect to JVM, and eventually throws up an error message saying that DM cannot connect to the device.

Now the bad news.... There is nothing - absolutely nothing - that you can do to bring this device back to life. Not taking the battery out and putting it back in again, not following the instructions on a dozen threads about using loader.exe and waiting for a PIN:UNKNOWN message. Nothing works.

So if you can't return the device under warranty becasue you bought it on eBay, or overseas, or have lost your receipt, the only thing you can do is wait to see whether RIM produce a software solution. In the meantime, do not waste your time searching these forums for ways to revive your BlackBerry, or keep re-running DM or loader.exe, or try connecting using BBSAK, or swapping the battery, or checking the PRD, or where the device was made, or worrying about the apps you loaded onto the device, or the OS version, or any of the other displacement activities suggested elsewhere on this site. None of them will help, or get you any closer to bringing your bricked device back to life.

Sorry, but that's the truth, and at least now you've got some time on youir hands. Use it to read a good book, or walk the dog.

Thanks!!!! IT's GOOD TO FINALLY HEAR SOMEBODY TELLING TRUTH!!
    And here is more in complement to that... Blackberry Bold 9930/9900 is DEFECTIVE!!!

Costs as much as an iPhone or Android, and have double-worst issues!

I had a Curve 8520, then 8530, then a Bold 9700 and then 9780... my mistake was getting the new blackberry bold 9900, instead of spending the 5 hundred in an iPhone 4S. BB users; Keep telling yourself that you are loyal to Blackberry because it's not a toy but a tool... after all you end up being their toys..

PS: Don't get me wrong, I loved my old blackberry(s), they were great.... Now-days, however, Blackberry is done. Period.
    03-13-12 07:38 AM
    Than this post is for the 10-percent of users who do frequent these forums and need a solution to fix a "nuked " or "bricked" blackberry. The above link will definitely work. It may take several tries, but it will work.

There have been over 500 viewers to this thread and I think that a lot of them came here to find out what to do if it happens to them. In my opinion, the people telling them that it is useless are doing them a big disservice.

If you don't want to try the fix and just want to throw your blackberry away or replace it, that's up to you, but the fix does work.
    I revived my Bold 9780 when It nuked, and I did the same with my Girlfriend's curve 8530 when she needed so, and "YES" That post worked, however with the new Blackberrys and specially when you get a problem by NOT being able to connect with the "Bloody" JVM, you CANNOT revive the blackberry. I spent 5 hundred on my Blackberry, that I could have spent on an iPhone 4S trough apple store. It bricked 5 months ago. Until today, I've been trying to revive it, Do I seem to you like I gave up? well now I do. Please do not defend blackberry, sometimes, somethings just don't have any solution. Besides, Bolds are such a beautiful paperweights. .|.
    03-13-12 07:54 AM
    *sigh*

It amazes me why people come on forums where the intent is for BB users to exchange with each other and discuss the merits and downfalls of BB phones and RIM products in a rational, mature manner just to trash BB and RIM in their posts.

Don't feed the troll, guys.

JB
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    03-13-12 07:57 AM
    This thread was from early December, before 7.1 was leaked. While I feel badly for those of you that have had problems (please note this includes members of CrackBerry staff, Kevin, Bla1ze, and Adam and any others) but some of us have had absolutely zero problems whatsoever.

I run leaks, the phones are subjected to high heat in the summer, below zero (Fahrenheit) during the winter, and covered in chain saw dust and oil year around, with never so much as a hiccup from either of the phones listed in my profile. I fail to see the downfall of RIM due to some of the earlier builds having problems, although RIM should be a bit more forthcoming in the future concerning possible defects, be it with the OS, or the phone itself.
    Last edited by AugustArborists; 03-13-12 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Punctuation error.
    03-13-12 09:29 AM
    I have hardware issues with my 9900. I have beaten the snot out of my last two bbs without a hardware glitch. This one has never even been dropped. Reading the forums gives one a definite sense RIM is playing fast and loose with QC. Factor their stock meltdown and I get a sense the whole enterprise (no pun intended) is headed for the ash heap of history. On the plus side, they got email working on the playbook. Who knows. Maybe the new OS will be a hit.
    03-13-12 09:57 AM
    I agree that the time involved in fixing nuked phones is too much for most people
    I have recovered many blackberries that people thought were bricked, I've found that patience and timing are significant factors, and with a phone as new/expensive as the 9900 I personally wouldn't give up before 5-10 tries AT LEAST.
    5 to 10 tries? Geez...How 'bout it just works out of the box for longer than 2 weeks like other phones? I know some are having great experiences with their 99xx's and that's the way it should be. But with an expensive device one should not have to repair it before it can be used. Far to many are having to fix their phones before they can be adequately utilized. Most people don't have the time or want to bother so they go elsewhere.
    I can totally relate to the OP's frustration. I had the same frustrating experience and went elsewhere.
    36thDisciple likes this.
    03-13-12 12:32 PM
    A bricked 9900/9930 has a red light that comes on every 10 seconds or so for about 5 seconds, but shows no other sign of life. You can connect it to Desktop Manager, and start to reload the OS, but the process stalls when DM is trying to connect to JVM, and eventually throws up an error message saying that DM cannot connect to the device.

Now the bad news.... There is nothing - absolutely nothing - that you can do to bring this device back to life. Not taking the battery out and putting it back in again, not following the instructions on a dozen threads about using loader.exe and waiting for a PIN:UNKNOWN message. Nothing works.

So if you can't return the device under warranty becasue you bought it on eBay, or overseas, or have lost your receipt, the only thing you can do is wait to see whether RIM produce a software solution. In the meantime, do not waste your time searching these forums for ways to revive your BlackBerry, or keep re-running DM or loader.exe, or try connecting using BBSAK, or swapping the battery, or checking the PRD, or where the device was made, or worrying about the apps you loaded onto the device, or the OS version, or any of the other displacement activities suggested elsewhere on this site. None of them will help, or get you any closer to bringing your bricked device back to life.

Sorry, but that's the truth, and at least now you've got some time on youir hands. Use it to read a good book, or walk the dog.

So you suggest that you can't fix this problem by software means, doest it means that I can't get this problem by software means as well?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-13-12 02:14 PM
    I don't know about OP being "more than wrong"...I dropped mine, worked fine, replaced the screen, put it back together and turned it on...slow blinking red light. I'm no brilliant scientist but I don;t know how unplugging and plugging things back together can mess everything up so much. I went to that link, followed directions exactly, using loader.exe and waiting for a PIN:UNKNOWN message, which I never got.

SOoo...my first bold touch is in a coffee mug with a bunch of little tools...useless. I was gonna mess around one weekend and see if there was anything I could do, but...I have inusrance on my current one. 500 dollar dumbass mistake. I shoulda just sold it on Ebay with a cracked screen and let someone else mess it up.
    The restoration process has worked for many that have not disassembled and replaced components. Most have suffered only the standard brick syndrome which can be recoverable. For me it is easier to just have another sent out. I am going to get my $ worth outta my insurance. My pc is ancient and less reliable each day!
    03-13-12 02:40 PM
    This thread was from early December, before 7.1 was leaked. While I feel badly for those of you that have had problems (please note this includes members of CrackBerry staff, Kevin, Bla1ze, and Adam and any others) but some of us have had absolutely zero problems whatsoever.

I run leaks, the phones are subjected to high heat in the summer, below zero (Fahrenheit) during the winter, and covered in chain saw dust and oil year around, with never so much as a hiccup from either of the phones listed in my profile. I fail to see the downfall of RIM due to some of the earlier builds having problems, although RIM should be a bit more forthcoming in the future concerning possible defects, be it with the OS, or the phone itself.
    But after so many of my friends experiencing issues with this phone and knowing that I will get super bad customer service from Telus if I had to exchange the phone under warranty, I am afraid to even use the phone the same way I used my Bold 9700 back in the days.
    03-13-12 05:17 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD