A bricked 9900/9930 has a red light that comes on every 10 seconds or so for about 5 seconds, but shows no other sign of life. You can connect it to Desktop Manager, and start to reload the OS, but the process stalls when DM is trying to connect to JVM, and eventually throws up an error message saying that DM cannot connect to the device.

Now the bad news.... There is nothing - absolutely nothing - that you can do to bring this device back to life. Not taking the battery out and putting it back in again, not following the instructions on a dozen threads about using loader.exe and waiting for a PIN:UNKNOWN message. Nothing works.

So if you can't return the device under warranty becasue you bought it on eBay, or overseas, or have lost your receipt, the only thing you can do is wait to see whether RIM produce a software solution. In the meantime, do not waste your time searching these forums for ways to revive your BlackBerry, or keep re-running DM or loader.exe, or try connecting using BBSAK, or swapping the battery, or checking the PRD, or where the device was made, or worrying about the apps you loaded onto the device, or the OS version, or any of the other displacement activities suggested elsewhere on this site. None of them will help, or get you any closer to bringing your bricked device back to life.

Sorry, but that's the truth, and at least now you've got some time on youir hands. Use it to read a good book, or walk the dog.
    Last edited by ljcn; 12-01-11 at 01:33 PM.
    12-01-11 01:28 PM
    I am sorry but you can not be more wrong. If you follow this link, it will work. I know, it worked for me http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry
    Fnord and rotorwrench like this.
    12-01-11 01:51 PM
    I am sorry but you can not be more wrong. If you follow this link, it will work. I know, it worked for me http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry
    Honestly folks, read that book instead. You'll thank me.
    12-01-11 01:59 PM
    Honestly folks, read that book instead. You'll thank me.
    I'm enjoying it so far.
    12-01-11 02:26 PM
    I don't know about OP being "more than wrong"...I dropped mine, worked fine, replaced the screen, put it back together and turned it on...slow blinking red light. I'm no brilliant scientist but I don;t know how unplugging and plugging things back together can mess everything up so much. I went to that link, followed directions exactly, using loader.exe and waiting for a PIN:UNKNOWN message, which I never got.

SOoo...my first bold touch is in a coffee mug with a bunch of little tools...useless. I was gonna mess around one weekend and see if there was anything I could do, but...I have inusrance on my current one. 500 dollar dumbass mistake. I shoulda just sold it on Ebay with a cracked screen and let someone else mess it up.
    12-01-11 02:48 PM
    This worked for me as well. Cheers.
    12-01-11 05:04 PM
    Ya, I tried to follow link posted above, I dont have that kind of time to $%^& around with this phone.
    New phone will be here tomorrow, search for 9930 replacement has begun!!!!!
    12-01-11 09:41 PM
    If the phone is truly bricked (not nuked), then you cannot revive it.
    12-01-11 11:09 PM
    If the phone is truly bricked (not nuked), then you cannot revive it.
    Please explain the difference between "bricked" and "nuked".
    12-02-11 08:34 AM
    Bricked = paperweight

Nuked = recoverable

they are operational definitions. If you are able to revive a bricked phone, then it was only nuked.
    PRE7ORIANO likes this.
    12-02-11 08:45 AM
    Bricked or nuked makes not a craps a$$ bit of difference to the 90+ percent of users who do not frequent forums and just need a phone to work in the NOW.
    For them it's a useless POS brick and another trip to the service provider store where they can be easily swayed by the csr to another platform that actually works out of the box. I know, what a concept. RIM has failed alot of their former customers.
    azie likes this.
    12-02-11 10:38 AM
    the post is more on the nuked side. i agree with OP, theres nothing u can do...
    just sell it on ebay under condition : for parts/not working and no return. and write that u dont know what happened. it just dies. if someone asked if its bricked or nuked, tell them that you dont understand what those term are...
    12-02-11 11:59 AM
    Bricked or nuked makes not a craps a$$ bit of difference to the 90+ percent of users who do not frequent forums and just need a phone to work in the NOW.
    For them it's a useless POS brick and another trip to the service provider store where they can be easily swayed by the csr to another platform that actually works out of the box. I know, what a concept. RIM has failed alot of their former customers.
    Than this post is for the 10-percent of users who do frequent these forums and need a solution to fix a "nuked " or "bricked" blackberry. The above link will definitely work. It may take several tries, but it will work.

There have been over 500 viewers to this thread and I think that a lot of them came here to find out what to do if it happens to them. In my opinion, the people telling them that it is useless are doing them a big disservice.

If you don't want to try the fix and just want to throw your blackberry away or replace it, that's up to you, but the fix does work.
    LMG1963 likes this.
    12-02-11 12:05 PM
    A bricked phone means you cannot cpnnect to the jvm long enough (ala constant reboot) or at all (blinking red black screen). With a nuked phone, you have a jvm error but dm can still connect to the phone to load an OS. At least that's how i understand it anyway.
    akj24 likes this.
    12-02-11 12:10 PM
    Nuked is not bricked , so the OP isn't wrong.

You should know the difference before you tell someone they're wrong!
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-02-11 at 12:13 PM.
    12-02-11 12:11 PM
    A bricked phone means you cannot cpnnect to the jvm long enough (ala constant reboot) or at all (blinking red black screen). With a nuked phone, you have a jvm error but dm can still connect to the phone to load an OS. At least that's how i understand it anyway.
    With the fix, you don't connect to desktop manager, you use app loader. If you have a blinking red light it should be able to connect to app loader.
    12-02-11 12:21 PM

I do know the difference and the op was not describing a bricked blackberry.
    12-02-11 12:26 PM
    Apploader is what's used by DM to connect to the BB. Either way, Bricked BB does not interact with the computer at all.
    12-02-11 12:29 PM
    I bougth 9900 model and i was lucky enough to use it for 10 days. Then, another 10 days passed since the phone is in service. I had a problem with the joystick, they "updated the software", i took it back and in the same moment i gave it back to the carrier. Today they called me form service to tell me that is gonna last a little bit since they are testing it. Idiots.
    So, the customer satisfaction is droping down to 0. I do wonder myself, the production sector is managed by idiots?
    12-02-11 12:38 PM
    The night before thanksgiving, exactly what the op described happened to my blackberry. I was able to reload the os and restore everything. It took some time and some work, but I was able to restore and recover everything.

If you want to believe that it is hopeless that�s fine, but I am here to tell you that what the op described can be fixed.
    12-02-11 12:49 PM
    Any update for 9930 .?
    12-02-11 04:21 PM
    Any update for 9930?
    12-02-11 04:22 PM

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses, please take your own advice before you tell someone that they are wrong.

I think that you owe me an apology and go ahead and roll your eyes now!
    12-02-11 08:16 PM
    the post is more on the nuked side. i agree with OP, theres nothing u can do...
    just sell it on ebay under condition : for parts/not working and no return. and write that u dont know what happened. it just dies. if someone asked if its bricked or nuked, tell them that you dont understand what those term are...
    Thats actually a messed up thing to do; I would never do something like that. Whatever happened to honesty? And your not the first person to suggest that either, whats wrong with some people?
    12-02-11 08:24 PM
    What the OP posted was indeed ONE form of a bricked phone...what he described is 100% correct. If that phone can be revived, it wasn't bricked.

If all of the same conditions /criteria apply and the phone CAN'T be revived, it IS BRICKED. I had a 9900 and have a 9800 that could not be revived, but both could be seen by the DM, until the reconnect to JVM failure message appeared. I've also has a 9780 that had the exact same issues, but I revived that one. That was "nuked" not "bricked".

Any one posting their input here - that hasn't experienced these issues should just STFU - as without having had the experience, your input as as useful as t!ts on a bull.
    12-02-11 08:27 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD