Wow, didn't know there were so many replies. Never received the thread notification emails...

These are 9930 issues RIM admitted to over the phone:

1. Phone not recgnizing the charger (I have this) - known issue, no fix
    2. LED notification blinking after receiving a phone call (not the sensor light), but there are no notifications - known issue, no fix
    3. Battery drain with 7.0.1 - known issue, no fix

It will take time some time to figure out what is causing the issues and to put out a fix, if any. Problem is, even with event logs, they're not sure what's causing the issue...so how can they fix it?

I have to decide tonight whether to return the phone or not.
    01-11-12 05:33 PM
    it does make me laugh how the die hard brainwashed zombies feel compelled to add there comments along the lines of "Well go elsewhere" or "try ipone or android".

I remembef when forums were full of people falling over themselves to help someone experaincing problems.

when you think about it, by suggesting someone that has made there choice with a BB to go elsewhere you are in actual fact suggesting they take there money and invest it in a competitor.
    this of course simply takes funds out of RIMS pocket and before you know it thell be nothing left but iphones and androids to fill that empty pocket that was once occupied by a wonderfully desgned (albeit floored) blackberry!
    in doing so the competitor grows in fanbase.

oh and before anyone decides to strike out at my opinion, Ive just typed this on my (no autocorrect) playbook that I adore while tethered to my 2nd Bold 9900 (replaced due to rubbish battery life).
    Last edited by gadgetier; 01-11-12 at 06:19 PM.
    HollyDolly likes this.
    01-11-12 06:11 PM
    Get the iPhone. If it has the features you want then you'll be happy with it. It is always good to try out other platforms. You'll find you may return to BlackBerry. Or you may love iPhone. No sense sticking with a phone that is causing stress.

I felt the SAME way about my old 9630. It was a POS from the beginning. Countless bugs, glitches and errors. Had one brick. Yeah, brick not nuke. I was so tired of it and BlackBerry that I switched to Andoid.

I'm back on BlackBerry but am glad I used another platform. Helped make me realize what I want out of a phone.

Even though I'll be flamed I'll say it again, BlackBerry isn't a smartphone. It's a great phone and messaging device.

It doesn't have the apps, Flash, games, brower that the other two have. It has other strong points.

So, you need to be aware of what excatly you want in a phone first. Then get one that matches that.

Good luck!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 01-11-12 at 06:28 PM.
    01-11-12 06:20 PM
    Get the iPhone. If it has the features you want then you'll be happy with it. It is always good to try out other platforms. You'll find you may return to BlackBerry. Or you may love iPhone. No sense sticking with a phone that is causing stress.

I felt the SAME way about my old 9630. It was a POS from the beginning. Countless bugs, glitches and errors. Had one brick. Yeah, brick not nuke. I was so tired of it and BlackBerry that I switched to Andoid.

I'm back on BlackBerry but am glad I used another platform. Helped make me realize what I want out of a phone.

Even though I'll be flamed I'll say it again, BlackBerry isn't a smartphone. It's a great phone and messaging device.

It doesn't have the apps, Flash, games, brower that the other two have. It has other strong points.

So, you need to be aware of what excatly you want in a phone first. Then get one that matches that.

Good luck!
    Thank you, I appreciate you understanding my position. In this day and age, I want a smartphone...one that can browse like it's not 2005. BBerry is not very good at it - so slow and clunky. Last night, for instance, my home internet went out briefly, right in the middle of my working. So I took my BBerry to browse and it took so long for it to get around that my internet at home was restored.

I know the 4S is also problematic....I wouldn't have bought the BBerry if I thought it would be giving me such grief. And I might get the iPhone and find out it blows with reception, too. But I appreciate those here who get where the frustration is coming from. The rest of the BBerry fanbois...just as lame as Apple fanbois.

I also recall when this forum used to be about helping one another, not replying immaturely because an expensive phone I paid for fails to perform - not for me alone, but for many others.

I thank those who understand and have responded with thoughtfulness.
    01-12-12 01:31 AM
    Thank you, I appreciate you understanding my position. In this day and age, I want a smartphone...one that can browse like it's not 2005. BBerry is not very good at it - so slow and clunky. Last night, for instance, my home internet went out briefly, right in the middle of my working. So I took my BBerry to browse and it took so long for it to get around that my internet at home was restored.

I know the 4S is also problematic....I wouldn't have bought the BBerry if I thought it would be giving me such grief. And I might get the iPhone and find out it blows with reception, too. But I appreciate those here who get where the frustration is coming from. The rest of the BBerry fanbois...just as lame as Apple fanbois.

I also recall when this forum used to be about helping one another, not replying immaturely because an expensive phone I paid for fails to perform - not for me alone, but for many others.

I thank those who understand and have responded with thoughtfulness.
    Each OS platform will have their own pros and cons. You have to find what is best for you and go with it. You may make the switch and after some time decide you like something else better - that's something only you can determine and we sure can't do that for you.

I have used BB for many years and find it hard to make the switch to Android full time. I absolutely refuse to have an Iphone, but that's just my stance. If I could use a virtual keyboard and spend more time going forward than I do backwards, I think I would be gone from BB. I just recently used the Razr - gawd freaking awesome device in so many ways - but just a tad wide for my liking not to mention the accessories really sucked. If you're going to release a device, have some cases ready for it! The keyboard aspect on the 9930 is what fits me for now. But I will tell you (and you already know this) the other platforms blow BB out of the water. Not to mention better/bigger screens, processors, etc. But on the same token - here I am with BB but I have to admit I am loosing faith with RIM.

Best of luck!
    01-12-12 08:11 AM
    Each OS platform will have their own pros and cons. You have to find what is best for you and go with it. You may make the switch and after some time decide you like something else better - that's something only you can determine and we sure can't do that for you.

I have used BB for many years and find it hard to make the switch to Android full time. I absolutely refuse to have an Iphone, but that's just my stance. If I could use a virtual keyboard and spend more time going forward than I do backwards, I think I would be gone from BB. I just recently used the Razr - gawd freaking awesome device in so many ways - but just a tad wide for my liking not to mention the accessories really sucked. If you're going to release a device, have some cases ready for it! The keyboard aspect on the 9930 is what fits me for now. But I will tell you (and you already know this) the other platforms blow BB out of the water. Not to mention better/bigger screens, processors, etc. But on the same token - here I am with BB but I have to admit I am loosing faith with RIM.

Best of luck!
    Look at NOKIA, worlds no.1 .. now struggling to comeback to smartphone lineup.. Symbian came with bang and Asia/Europe tasted fully functional mobile OS.
    But now Symbian is dead (almost)..
    RIM is not dead� they are trying�
    OS5�OS6..OS7 all in attempt to provide users with best they can.
    No mobile OS is perfect..say
    Android: No security, Totally fragmented, etc (does lot many things, but not good in any one particular).
    iOS: No security, Same glassy looks from iPhone 1-4S. Multitasking is joke, etc (does lot many things, but not good in any one particular)
    BBOS: Good security, does only few things but does it very well (now this is very important).

It�s upto you what suits your need..
    01-12-12 08:32 AM

Best of luck!
    Thanks. I don't hate the virtual keyboard - in fact, on the Galaxy SII, I got so used to it with Swype (it's awesome) that I never wanted to return to a keyboard. Sad that the reception was so poor on that phone (a Samsung/Sprint thing).

I decided to return the 9930 (but it has to go out by mail), so I called Sprint to reactivate my old phone (Tour 9630) for now, and Sprint says it's activated - and my account says it's activated - but my Tour is not getting any radio signal. And Sprint transferred me around so much - I hate them! - that their offices closed without getting my problem resolved.

I don't know how to get the phone working....so frustrating! Why does the phone not getting any radio activity? Is there something I'm supposed to be doing?

Can someone help?
    Last edited by HollyDay; 01-13-12 at 12:27 AM.
    01-13-12 12:24 AM
    Thanks. I don't hate the virtual keyboard - in fact, on the Galaxy SII, I got so used to it with Swype (it's awesome) that I never wanted to return to a keyboard. Sad that the reception was so poor on that phone (a Samsung/Sprint thing).

I decided to return the 9930 (but it has to go out by mail), so I called Sprint to reactivate my old phone (Tour 9630) for now, and Sprint says it's activated - and my account says it's activated - but my Tour is not getting any radio signal. And Sprint transferred me around so much - I hate them! - that their offices closed without getting my problem resolved.

I don't know how to get the phone working....so frustrating! Why does the phone not getting any radio activity? Is there something I'm supposed to be doing?

Can someone help?
    I can't say with any certainty but it sounds like you may need to register/activate your Tour on the network, regardless of what it says on your account. Might try this, although I'm not sure how far that will get you. Been awhile since I dealt with Sprint, and my last encounter was less than pleasant.

Hopefully by returning that bunk 9930 you get one that works correctly. I read your post a couple days ago and if it hadn't been for the mention of using a touchscreen I would have thought you were talking about another device entirely.
    01-13-12 12:52 AM
    I can't say with any certainty but it sounds like you may need to register/activate your Tour on the network, regardless of what it says on your account. Might try this, although I'm not sure how far that will get you. Been awhile since I dealt with Sprint, and my last encounter was less than pleasant.

Hopefully by returning that bunk 9930 you get one that works correctly. I read your post a couple days ago and if it hadn't been for the mention of using a touchscreen I would have thought you were talking about another device entirely.
    Thanks, but that didn't work. I repeatedly told the CSR that my phone seems to not have data service activated and they said, "Oh it is" - but it isn't. It isn't receiving signal. I can make calls, no problem. But it's not doing that active arrow thing that shows I'm connected to data.

I did the register, update profile, update preferred list - but no arrows. Is it possible they are that stoopid that they didn't turn on my data plan, regardless of what they said? (It's very possible, I know, but how can I fix it??)
    01-13-12 01:03 AM
    Thanks, but that didn't work. I repeatedly told the CSR that my phone seems to not have data service activated and they said, "Oh it is" - but it isn't. It isn't receiving signal. I can make calls, no problem. But it's not doing that active arrow thing that shows I'm connected to data.

I did the register, update profile, update preferred list - but no arrows. Is it possible they are that stoopid that they didn't turn on my data plan, regardless of what they said? (It's very possible, I know, but how can I fix it??)
    "Oh it is". I remember that line quite well. I repeatedly told Sprint CSR's for two years that they still had my number active in their system after porting it, and when asked if it was fixed - "Oh it is, it's taken care of." Until the next time.

Try this: Options - > Advanced Options - > Host Routing Table, BB button -> Register Now. Obviously sending service books is a no-go until you get data, so at the moment that's all I have. Also, may be remembering the path wrong, apologies if it is.
    01-13-12 01:28 AM
    he's not a troll. special for 99xx, i have to agree with ike1. i myself regret buying 9900. now, if i want to sell it, i'm gonna lost 50% or more than i paid before.
    01-13-12 01:42 AM
    he's not a troll. special for 99xx, i have to agree with ike1. i myself regret buying 9900. now, if i want to sell it, i'm gonna lost 50% or more than i paid before.
    He may not be a troll, but his post is trolling. You did it the proper way. Like or dislike something, but don't claim everybody is having the same experience.
    01-13-12 01:53 AM
    "Oh it is". I remember that line quite well. I repeatedly told Sprint CSR's for two years that they still had my number active in their system after porting it, and when asked if it was fixed - "Oh it is, it's taken care of." Until the next time.

Try this: Options - > Advanced Options - > Host Routing Table, BB button -> Register Now. Obviously sending service books is a no-go until you get data, so at the moment that's all I have. Also, may be remembering the path wrong, apologies if it is.
    Thanks for the help. In the end, the ONLY thing that worked (4 hours later) was a complete wipe and reinstall. Then the phone finally registered with the network. That is another annoying BBerry thing.

For anyone else who finds themselves in the same dilemma, here's how to wipe your handheld (at least on the Tour anyway...but try it):

1. Press: ##Alt (hold this down), enter RTN, press the Call button
    2. It will ask you for your MSL number: Enter this (you can get this from your service provider - I'm sure there other ways, too)
    3. It will say it will now wipe everything off your phone.
    4. Press ok

It takes a while. I watched a movie while it did its thing. Then when it was done, I updated what I wanted on there (from Blackberry Appworld), and ONLY restored emails, contacts, call logs, SMS texts, BBM Groups, and Calendar. Since I had to do a clean wipe, might as well clean the entire thing up.

Once I did this, I had to go through the ENTIRE BIS set up, Email set up, wait for both to validate, etc.

I now have a clean, reset phone that works. NO THANKS TO SPRINT.

Now, to send the Bold back to where it came from!
    01-13-12 03:45 AM
    Now, to send the Bold back to where it came from!
    and move to an iPhone?
    01-13-12 07:56 AM
    My 9900 has been a flawless experience since day one.
    01-13-12 10:42 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD