Just a heads up to the community that if you are intending on replacing the chin piece that has the carrier logo on it to be prepared to have to glue on the replacement. I just got mine from Truesupplier which is useless without glue or adhesive material.

The OEM has what looks like a 2 sided adhesive tape on it that isn't too sticky on the side that anchors it to the phone. I have no idea where to find something similar. You wouldn't want it to be too strong in case you need to remove the piece again.

Any ideas on the type of glue or thin 2 sided tape that could be used? Thanks.
    10-25-11 11:37 AM
    thanks for the heads up. i would use double sided tape and not glue. many bb parts including the bottom rubber piece of the 8900 is only held on with tape. it seems to do the job.

most arts and crafts and hardware stores will have the tape you're looking for.
    10-25-11 11:48 AM
    oh yea and fyi, acetone-based nail polish remover apparently removes the branding quite easily. lots of people have had success with that method. there's a thread on this board that speaks to that.

a
    10-25-11 11:50 AM
    oh yea and fyi, acetone-based nail polish remover apparently removes the branding quite easily. lots of people have had success with that method. there's a thread on this board that speaks to that.

a
    Thanks for the lead to the arts and craft store. I've tried the nail polish remover before but have found it sometimes leaves a ghost image so I'm a little tentative about that i.e. it actually looks worse than the branding.
    10-25-11 11:57 AM
    I've done the acetone thing... There IS a ghost image but you'd have to be looking for it... I even think if I do it again, I can totally remove it.... I've ordered the part to replace it anyways so I aint gonna bother...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 01:00 PM
    I can't seem to find any suitable glue. Please let me know if you find something.
    10-26-11 01:49 AM
    If you use 100% pure acetone it will not leave a ghost image.
    10-26-11 03:27 AM
    Just a heads up to the community that if you are intending on replacing the chin piece that has the carrier logo on it to be prepared to have to glue on the replacement. I just got mine from Truesupplier which is useless without glue or adhesive material.

The OEM has what looks like a 2 sided adhesive tape on it that isn't too sticky on the side that anchors it to the phone. I have no idea where to find something similar. You wouldn't want it to be too strong in case you need to remove the piece again.

Any ideas on the type of glue or thin 2 sided tape that could be used? Thanks.
    Usually when you see a double sided tape that appears to be not sticky its because the tape is a light/UV activated tape. At the factory they place the tape under light and it activates the adhesive for a period of time. Allows high bonding with no need for the assembler to stand there pressing for a while. However, when you pull it apart the tape appears to be not sticky.

Google search it and you'll find several companies that make this type of double stick tape.
    10-27-11 06:02 PM
    interesting. thanks.
    10-28-11 01:49 AM
    Usually when you see a double sided tape that appears to be not sticky its because the tape is a light/UV activated tape. At the factory they place the tape under light and it activates the adhesive for a period of time. Allows high bonding with no need for the assembler to stand there pressing for a while. However, when you pull it apart the tape appears to be not sticky.

Google search it and you'll find several companies that make this type of double stick tape.
    Why is it that every other person on this fourm insists on answering a simple question with a complicated answer??

FYI: what you're talking about is no where close to what they used on this piece...

To the OP: just use Scotch Permanent Double Sided Tape which will hold well + can be removed later if need be.

Last edited by Lucky45; 10-28-11 at 02:20 AM.
    10-28-11 02:16 AM
    10-28-11 04:55 AM

a
    Yup, Nail polish remover and a couple of Q-tips is all it takes! Looks like there was never anything on it before!
    10-28-11 08:06 AM
    Why is it that every other person on this fourm insists on answering a simple question with a complicated answer??

FYI: what you're talking about is no where close to what they used on this piece...

Click to view quoted image

To the OP: just use Scotch Permanent Double Sided Tape which will hold well + can be removed later if need be.

Click to view quoted image

I looked at that but the tape appeared to be too thick i.e. it would raise the chin plate above the bezel. The OEM is super thin. I'll have another look though. Thanks!
    10-28-11 09:40 AM
    I looked at that but the tape appeared to be too thick i.e. it would raise the chin plate above the bezel. The OEM is super thin. I'll have another look though. Thanks!
    I've used it on two 9900's and it works just fine.

10-28-11 02:14 PM
    Yup, Nail polish remover and a couple of Q-tips is all it takes! Looks like there was never anything on it before!
    Acetone? Nail Polish Remover?

It's funny how people will spend 700$ for a BlackBerry but not 5$ for the replacment part *eyeroll*�

4-hgeek and 1425956 like this.
    10-28-11 02:18 PM
    It's funny how people will spend 700$ for a BlackBerry but not 5$ for the replacment part *eyeroll*�
    Why? if you're already throwing the chin out anyway, might as well have a go at it with regular household items. if it fails, go get a $5 replacement....unless you plan putting the old chin back some day.
    10-28-11 02:24 PM
    Why? if you're already throwing the chin out anyway, might as well have a go at it with regular household items. if it fails, go get a $5 replacement....unless you plan putting the old chin back some day.
    To Each His Own...BUT hopefully the people that do this are lucky enough to not have carriers that consider this a void of warranty...

10-28-11 02:33 PM
    Yeah I want the carrier one in case it has to go back to them.
    10-29-11 01:32 AM
    Where can I find unbranded chin pieces?
    10-29-11 01:35 AM
    Where can I find unbranded chin pieces?
    READING the OP might be helpful...

10-29-11 01:37 AM
    Just share my 9900 pic, From Rogers to No Logo..
    Double tape included, same as the original..
    Just plug & play..

(before-after)
    uci2ci likes this.
    11-13-11 11:04 AM
    Just share my 9900 pic, From Rogers to No Logo..
    Double tape included, same as the original..
    Just plug & play..

(before-after)
    Click to view quoted image Click to view quoted image
    some other posters said the double tape wasnt included with theirs....where did you get yours from?
    11-13-11 12:50 PM
    How about try http://www.dealsishop.com/blackberry...nded-9900.html

They are based in the US.
    11-13-11 12:54 PM
    $2 for 3M tape from Walmart. Works perfectly.
    11-13-11 01:03 PM
    some other posters said the double tape wasnt included with theirs....where did you get yours from?
    Yup, double tape included, i just peel it & put on my 9900.. just like a stickers..
    I get it from my friend here in Indonesia.. pretty cheap only US$ 4.5..
    I think this one is made in china parts, but very identical with the OEM unbranded chin..

Last edited by alunkkk; 11-13-11 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add Photo
    11-13-11 02:49 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD