Well I paid for a used 9900 and everything checked out, PIN was unregistered and worked fine with the sim card. Seller claimed it to be only a few weeks old and it didn't look too beat up either.

But now, when the screen dims and goes into standby, sometimes when I press the mute key or any key to unlock it, the LCD backlight lights up but no display. All the functions of the phone still work in this state. I suppose there is no warranty at this point as it wasn't mentioned to be under warranty (and for all intents, the seller was a sketchy young male.)

I've been trying different OSes (590, 585) with no luck. I suppose I was naive and got hustled but I am wonder what recourse I have in this situation. What would be the problem? All other functions work...a faulty LCD ribbon cable? This occurs randomly but once it occurs, you won't be able to turn it on for a few minutes and then the screen starts to work after that.

Also, I've been reading that it can be something to do with the proximity sensor, though I don't think so because even when doing a batt pull, the screen still doesn't turn back on until you wait x minutes for it to "cooldown."
    12-21-11 05:40 PM
    I'm betting you could try sourcing out a replacment LCD unit then using the youtube link provided swap out the defective unit. Just guessing it's the LCD though.

12-21-11 05:52 PM
    12-21-11 05:53 PM
    12-21-11 05:55 PM
    thank you gtifreak190 for the helpful links!

I had a gut feeling that something was off but went ahead anyways, needless to say, hindsight's a real b*tch
    12-21-11 05:59 PM
    It may be software related. I had similar problems with a 9800. It went away on the 9800, but it may have been related to the deleting a third party app. It may have been one of the memory booster apps or a reboot app.

If you are on contract with Rogers, and it is a Rogers phone they will probably send it off to repair for you.
    12-21-11 06:01 PM
    It may be software related. I had similar problems with a 9800. It went away on the 9800, but it may have been related to the deleting a third party app. It may have been one of the memory booster apps or a reboot app.

If you are on contract with Rogers, and it is a Rogers phone they will probably send it off to repair for you.
    sadly i'm month to month with Rogers and the phone is from Bell so warranty is out of the question.

LCD + Digitizer repair will run approx. $90 installed or $70 for the part alone.
    12-21-11 06:08 PM
    Devils advocate - if the display worked when you bought it, the seller probably had no idea it would soon malfunction. Not like there's an app that can make it break at some specified time in the future.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930 on 7.1 using Tapatalk
    12-21-11 07:37 PM
    It's the OS. For it to work, you would be better off doing a full device wipe using any of the Java based utilities out there...like JL Commander. Wipe the OS and install a new one. I'm betting that will bring it back to life.
    12-21-11 11:25 PM
    It's the OS. For it to work, you would be better off doing a full device wipe using any of the Java based utilities out there...like JL Commander. Wipe the OS and install a new one. I'm betting that will bring it back to life.
    Any particular OS suggestions?
    12-21-11 11:38 PM
    No, any OS should work. I'm using 7.1 leaked - it works fine on Bell and Rogers... but don't freak when it errors during the load...it's normal in this release. Just need to unplug and power the unit back up to finish the install. You'll love the Mobile Hotspot too!
    12-22-11 01:42 AM
    Well I paid for a used 9900 and everything checked out, PIN was unregistered and worked fine with the sim card. Seller claimed it to be only a few weeks old and it didn't look too beat up either.

But now, when the screen dims and goes into standby, sometimes when I press the mute key or any key to unlock it, the LCD backlight lights up but no display. All the functions of the phone still work in this state. I suppose there is no warranty at this point as it wasn't mentioned to be under warranty (and for all intents, the seller was a sketchy young male.)

I've been trying different OSes (590, 585) with no luck. I suppose I was naive and got hustled but I am wonder what recourse I have in this situation. What would be the problem? All other functions work...a faulty LCD ribbon cable? This occurs randomly but once it occurs, you won't be able to turn it on for a few minutes and then the screen starts to work after that.

Also, I've been reading that it can be something to do with the proximity sensor, though I don't think so because even when doing a batt pull, the screen still doesn't turn back on until you wait x minutes for it to "cooldown."
    next time you buy any bb... do this ...
    OS6/ OS7
    home >> options >> devices >> device and status information >>type test (you wont see any input here) >> you will be taken to Device Self Test Application where a popup appears saying, click OK >> press BB key >> start >> yes till it pops up >> then follow the screen text and do as it says...

this is self test application to see if hardware is not faulty.

hope this helps..
    12-22-11 02:34 AM
    i just did the test and some tests failed no my Bold. Welcome to RIM's flagship phone
    12-22-11 11:08 AM
    Try to wipe an install a stable OS version.
    12-22-11 12:09 PM
    next time you buy any bb... do this ...
    OS6/ OS7
    home >> options >> devices >> device and status information >>type test (you wont see any input here) >> you will be taken to Device Self Test Application where a popup appears saying, click OK >> press BB key >> start >> yes till it pops up >> then follow the screen text and do as it says...

this is self test application to see if hardware is not faulty.

hope this helps..
    wow, i wish i knew that beforehand....thanks!

So it's a hardware fault. The LCD fires up maybe 1/3 times...during the first bit it fires up most of the time, then progressively less and less. Then if you leave the phone for a while, it sort of "regenerates" and the vicious cycle starts over again.

Could it be a faulty lcd/loose ribbon cable or water damaged?
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 12-22-11 at 09:49 PM.
    12-22-11 07:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD