I decided that to be a better BB salesperson, since the last daily use I had with a BB was os6, I should get a 9900. So I added a line and will be using both my bb and iPhone (I have it set so I can sim swap between the two with a base BB plan on the add a line and 6 gb BB data on iPhone).

Now to get used to it again. It's been a while. It won't be my main driver as I love my iPhone too much but I will be using it when I can.

Anything I should know?

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-21-12 at 04:51 PM.
    02-19-12 03:26 PM
    You know what say "once you go black......". It's a great phone. Enjoy
    02-19-12 04:35 PM
    Oh I've got a bunch of old BBs. Lol. It's just my first in a while.

02-19-12 04:39 PM
    Set the web browser font size to 21
    02-19-12 04:42 PM
    Lol. I'm out and about so it's at home right now but I do know I will need to shrink the OS and maybe throw 7.1 on it. I didn't have much time to get it set up yet.

02-19-12 06:16 PM
    it's not actually needed to shrink OS7, it's already good though.
    02-19-12 06:20 PM
    I still like to remove the language packs I never use...call it old habit
    02-19-12 06:27 PM
    Start looking for a buyer for your iphone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-19-12 06:29 PM
    Oh lord no. My baby isn't going anywhere, just into a rotation. We shall see but I do know that during setup I already missed the screen size of my 4. I don't think I could full time go back to a smaller screen. That said, I love the keyboard.

I also love that I finally got the iPhone running on a BB data plan. It took an hour and much hair pulling lol.

02-19-12 06:35 PM
    Definitely throw .267 in it. If you can spare a few $$$ a month, I'd also suggest getting a tethering plan on that line and a PlayBook. you know, just to be able to sell the whole experience.
    02-19-12 07:25 PM
    My 6 GB plan includes tethering already lol. Don't foresee a playbook though...

02-19-12 07:49 PM
    Oh lord no. My baby isn't going anywhere, just into a rotation. We shall see but I do know that during setup I already missed the screen size of my 4. I don't think I could full time go back to a smaller screen. That said, I love the keyboard.

I also love that I finally got the iPhone running on a BB data plan. It took an hour and much hair pulling lol.

Been thinking about doing this. What exactly was giving you issues? Did you buy an adapter for the sim card?
    02-19-12 09:41 PM
    Been thinking about doing this. What exactly was giving you issues? Did you buy an adapter for the sim card?
    You can use a microsim in the Bold 9900 no problem. I slide it in and it sits tightly in the slot. No need for cheap adapters that might break.
    02-19-12 10:23 PM
    I got a sim adapter, yes. I also added a BB data plan to my iPhone line and then, on the iPhone browser, went to Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone - selected my country and carrier, and it installed the spoofed APN setting that allows the iPhone to connect to BB data. It's just that Bell has 2 apn's and there was some confusion on getting them working. It's flawless now though.
    02-19-12 10:30 PM
    Surprised that you had a difficult time getting data to your iPhone with a blackberry plan. Works flawlessly on Rogers and fido.
    02-19-12 10:41 PM
    Yep - because Rogers has a $0 USOC they can add to non BB accounts to allow access to BIS.

Bellus does it differently. The more difficult "we don't want you doing this" way.

02-19-12 11:11 PM
    iphone bad. BlackBerry good.
    02-19-12 11:23 PM
    Oh no - so far I still refer my iPhone. This will be fun to play around with and use every once in a while, but I know I will still turn to my iPhone as primary driver. That isn't changing lol.

Loading 7.1 now.

02-20-12 12:46 AM
    i commend you for trying it out and to be a better salesperson. good job.
    02-20-12 01:37 AM
    Well, to be able to tech support a phone you really need first hand knowledge. I can do olllllld BBs (OS 5 and prior), iOS and Android like the back of my hand. Palm Pre? Bring it. I also tend to hack my phones as the best way to understand fundamentally how the OS works is to mess with it. My iPhone is jailbroken. All my WebOS devices were prewared and patched. Android? Custom rom and kernels baby. Even my old curve has a 4.5-/5 hybrid OS on it lol.

But I have had to assist with setup and troubleshooting several os7 devices and RIM changed everything on me! Settings where I thought they were? Nope.

It doesn't hurt that I have a slight tech addiction and love new toys lol.

So...here I sit. Almost 24 hours, still tweaking things. So far I do find myself putting it down and picking up my iPhone. I still prefer my iPhone by a long shot. But to mess with? I can deal with the 9900. I just know I couldn't deal with ONLY the 9900...

02-20-12 12:23 PM
    One interesting thing I have noticed? I get email faster on my iPhone.

If I have then sitting side by side, and I have an email come in (I only have one address on both phones, my gmail), my iPhone dings a good 5 seconds before my BB alerts me to new mail.

Huh.

02-21-12 09:24 AM
    One interesting thing I have noticed? I get email faster on my iPhone.

If I have then sitting side by side, and I have an email come in (I only have one address on both phones, my gmail), my iPhone dings a good 5 seconds before my BB alerts me to new mail.

Huh.

I also noticed my gmail emails come faster on my 4s than my 9900. Also twitter notifications are faster on my 4s.
    02-21-12 10:24 AM
    Once you used a blackberry you never get away from it!
    Sure, there are other interessting models on the market, but you never stop looking what the next berry looks like and what it will be.

I have a got a lot of friends who changed to the Iphone, which truly is a great device, but when I buy a new blackberry they always take it out of my hands, play with it and tell me how great it was to have one.

They also follow the internetpages like crackberry to see whats comming next and ask me if I get this or that model - sometimes even before I know that there is something new.

Some of the came back as the 9900 and 9790 was out.

It's like an addiction.

I also love to play with an android or Iphone, because they also have a great UI - but I think, I always will stick with RIM. My first smartphone ever (back in 2005), no other brand or vendor gives me that good feeling and no other has. By far a that great keyboard!
    Don't need 100.000s of apps or so. The ones I frequently usw (like WhatsApp, Maps, messengers, shazam etc.) I do have them on my bb. All others are "games" for me.

But respect for other plattforms!

Best wishes,

Slash
    02-21-12 11:11 AM
    I have to say one thing: the Bold battery life is KILLING me. I ran my iPhone at 80% brightness with push email, Facebook, twitter, location services on for weather and a bunch of jailbreak tweaks and could get a day to a day and a half out of it. By bedtime it would be about 40-50% most days.

I have been running Bold only since 11:30 am. It was 99% when I turned it on. 6 hours later I'm at 42%. Screen brightness is 20% with 10 second timeout. Facebook and twitter are set to once an hour. Bluetooth and location are off. I can literally watch the battery tick down while I use it. I shouldn't have to turn off 3G. I never had to before, I never did on android or iPhone and I won't now.

Please tell me this gets better. My iPhone smokes this things battery and it's frustrating!

Last edited by reeneebob; 02-21-12 at 03:42 PM.
    02-21-12 03:40 PM
    I jumped back on the BB wagon for another short period thinking I'd give it a few months to sort out things and see if I had just not given the 9900 a fair shake the last time I had it...

...but I was back on the iPhone within three days!

For a BlackBerry, the 9900 is the best ever...and I have to admit the keypad is amazing. But unless you are a power user that cranks through 100 emails daily and as many SMS texts and tweets a day...the BB just doesn't stand up to the iPhone as far as being a complete package, IMO. For sheer communication...the BB is and has always been the top of the heap, but even in that area they are falling behind the competition.

All the positive things the OP has said about the BB are true...as well as the negatives.

I'll come back to BlackBerry when they amaze me...maybe.
    reeneebob likes this.
    02-21-12 03:53 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD