What's an I phone?
    02-21-12 04:35 PM
    Thank you for that enlightened contribution.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    02-21-12 04:50 PM
    Thank you for that enlightened contribution.

Guess he doesnt have the bloomberg app installed
    reeneebob likes this.
    02-21-12 05:11 PM
    Well I worked a 12 hour shift today and forced myself to leave my iPhone at home to make myself solely rely on the 9900.

Off charger at 9 am- 100%.

3:30 it was down to 37%. I was using it exactly as I would my iPhone with the exception of web browsing (sorry guys, even the improved browser is painful) and brightness at 20% instead of 80% on my iPhone. Normally at this time my iPhone would be down to about 70-75%.

Clearly this will not do.

So we swapped out my battery with another one. Charged it up to full. Took off charger at 5pm. It is now 11:08 pm and it's at 84%. That's better. Clearly something was effed in my battery.

I just don't know if the keyboard is worth the screen loss. I think I will end up switching it up between the two phones but my main time will be on iPhone.

Hopefully this battery thing is sorted though. That was peeving me like nothing else has.

Last edited by reeneebob; 02-22-12 at 10:23 PM.
    02-22-12 10:11 PM
    I just don't know if the keyboard is worth the screen loss. I think I will end up switching it up between the two phones but my main time will be on iPhone.
    I'd suggest the following:

In Home Screen>Options, select Application Shortcuts instead of Universal Search. This allows you to use the built-in hot keys to access commonly used functions. A: Addresses, B:Browser, C:Contact, D:memo paD, K:Kill screen and lock, L:CaLendar, M:Messages (consolidated inbox), N:BBMesseNger, O:Options, P:Phone, Q: (long press) toggle between Quiet (vibrate) mode and your last sound profile, S: universal Search, T:tasks, U:calcUlator, V:saVed messages, W:weather (if installed).

Once you get used to them, the keyboard shortcuts are immensely useful, and you begin to realize that the advantages of the keyboard don't end with text entry. Many/most of us go on to install an app such as QuickLaunch for more shortcuts. Learn to depend on the BB button to give you a context sensitive menu across apps, and to long press to switch between open apps quickly. This is how you get into the mindset of the BB user, who likes to be able to snap from task to task without a lot of dithering. When you get a feel for these moves, you'll be better able to explain to customers why some people find the keyboard indispensable.

And you'll better understand the trade-off with screen size.

Someone mentioned setting your browser font to 21. I'm old; I have mine set to 40! Double-tapping in text frames usually zooms the text to the desired size and auto-wraps it to fit the screen. When you get used to this, your browser experience improves dramatically, at least for text-oriented web sites. It'd be a good idea to show this to customers, who may load a web page and then try to squint to read it, or who may resort to pinch zoom and find themselves manically scrolling to read it. If they don't know about tap-zoom-reflow, they might give up in disgust.
    reeneebob likes this.
    02-23-12 07:56 AM
    I have seen several threads where the store salesperson has advised people not to buy a Blackberry, only to guide them towards Androids or Sheeplephones *Iphones I mean ! :eek

Its fantastic that you have taken the time to obtain / learn about os7 to help people buy the phone that fits their needs.

02-23-12 08:47 AM
    I used to have quicklaunch on my old BBs but to be honest I rarely used it. I was fine with setting the convenience key to app switcher. I can't stand keyboard shortcuts though. I always forget about them let alone remembering what they all are lol. My memory sucks.

The battery still concerns me. Even though the new battery is far and away better (off charger since 5pm yesterday and it's now 10:50am and I'm at 66%), when I went to bed last night around 3am it was 77%. So it dropped 11% while idle for 6-7 hours. While not huge (and way better than the 20-35% it would drain on the old battery), my iphone would drop by 1-2% in the same time.

I am trying to use it exactly as I would my iphone for the sake of the comparison so I'm not buying an extended battery or a spare battery. I want it to be an honest comparison. While I do have a battery case for my iphone, I only use it when travelling to special events (concert or hockey games for example) where I am going to shoot video, and frankly rarely even used it on the two occasions I did take it.

It appears the old days of BB being battery king are over...

The experiment continues!
    02-23-12 09:57 AM
    Yeap. Battery is the only drawback. I resort in using 2G when I know I will need to be overtime for the day.. it will last 12hrs+
    I believe RIM really made a wrong decision in only providing 1200mAh battery for this phone.. esp with faster processor (at the time of launch) and a dedicated graphics processor... Overall its a great phone. Especially for typing BBM and Email, Bloomberg, Blue, News reader... etc
    02-23-12 10:21 AM
    The battery still concerns me. Even though the new battery is far and away better (off charger since 5pm yesterday and it's now 10:50am and I'm at 66%), when I went to bed last night around 3am it was 77%. So it dropped 11% while idle for 6-7 hours. While not huge (and way better than the 20-35% it would drain on the old battery), my iphone would drop by 1-2% in the same time.

I am trying to use it exactly as I would my iphone for the sake of the comparison so I'm not buying an extended battery or a spare battery. I want it to be an honest comparison. While I do have a battery case for my iphone, I only use it when travelling to special events (concert or hockey games for example) where I am going to shoot video, and frankly rarely even used it on the two occasions I did take it.

Your numbers suggest a drain rate of about 1.7%/hour when idling. I'd say that's about as good as it gets. Some people get better, some worse, but you shouldn't expect any big improvements on that, in my opinion.

I don't know if this is a function of things that the BB is doing in the background or simply the fact that it has a low-capacity battery. (What's the capacity of the iPhone's battery?) Since I always expect to charge a smartphone every night, this drain rate is fine with me. So, while 1.7%/hour is certainly worse than virtually no drain, I wouldn't call it a concern.

It's a fact that the 9900 has higher specs and a smaller battery than previous Bolds, which some people went for days without charging. I think those days are indeed over. The question is whether RIM will keep their devices with enough power to last from coming off the charger in the morning until bedtime without recharging, given "normal use". As long as they hold to that standard, I think they're okay.
    02-23-12 10:22 AM
    bold 9900 battery is 1,230 mAh
    iPhone 4S battery is 1,432mAh
    16pc more for iPhone.. Actually not that much difference.. with smaller display and reduced multimedia I don't know why our 9900 have battery issues..
    02-23-12 10:39 AM
    reeneebob, you might want to check on how to cycle your battery and install device analyzer.

@ubizmo; amen to that. now that's making full use of your KB shortcuts natively.
    02-23-12 12:26 PM
    I used to have quicklaunch on my old BBs but to be honest I rarely used it. I was fine with setting the convenience key to app switcher. I can't stand keyboard shortcuts though. I always forget about them let alone remembering what they all are lol. My memory sucks.

Battery is clearly better on my 4s than my 9900. Not even close. I left both devices at factory setting used both phones equally and the 4s has better battery life. My 4s is going on 7.5 hrs @82%. Cant be beat. JMO
    02-23-12 12:36 PM
    Set the web browser font size to 21
    thanks for this!
    02-23-12 01:14 PM
    I have to say one thing: the Bold battery life is KILLING me. I ran my iPhone at 80% brightness with push email, Facebook, twitter, location services on for weather and a bunch of jailbreak tweaks and could get a day to a day and a half out of it. By bedtime it would be about 40-50% most days.

I have been running Bold only since 11:30 am. It was 99% when I turned it on. 6 hours later I'm at 42%. Screen brightness is 20% with 10 second timeout. Facebook and twitter are set to once an hour. Bluetooth and location are off. I can literally watch the battery tick down while I use it. I shouldn't have to turn off 3G. I never had to before, I never did on android or iPhone and I won't now.

Please tell me this gets better. My iPhone smokes this things battery and it's frustrating!

Switch the Bold to 3G only - battery life infinately improves and you'll be comparing apples to apples (iphone only has 3g).
    02-23-12 02:11 PM
    Your numbers suggest a drain rate of about 1.7%/hour when idling. I'd say that's about as good as it gets. Some people get better, some worse, but you shouldn't expect any big improvements on that, in my opinion.

I don't know if this is a function of things that the BB is doing in the background or simply the fact that it has a low-capacity battery. (What's the capacity of the iPhone's battery?) Since I always expect to charge a smartphone every night, this drain rate is fine with me. So, while 1.7%/hour is certainly worse than virtually no drain, I wouldn't call it a concern.

It's a fact that the 9900 has higher specs and a smaller battery than previous Bolds, which some people went for days without charging. I think those days are indeed over. The question is whether RIM will keep their devices with enough power to last from coming off the charger in the morning until bedtime without recharging, given "normal use". As long as they hold to that standard, I think they're okay.
    Guys - I'm betting he's running his 9900 on 4G, which yes, does suck the power - but then again, ALL 4G phones have terrible battery life.

If you want to truly compare iPhone 4s battery life to 9900, you have to switch the 9900 to 3G mode, which is all the iPhone has. Battery life improves tremendously when you do this. Then start talking about the difference due to capacity, etc.

Without doing this you're comparing a Porsche's gas mileage to a Toyota. At least compare cars with the same size engine, etc.

P.S. I too have both a 9900 and an iPhone 4s. Battery life is comparable when you are on 3g for both.
    Last edited by Wangta; 02-23-12 at 02:17 PM.
    02-23-12 02:14 PM
    reeneebob, you might want to check on how to cycle your battery and install device analyzer.

@ubizmo; amen to that. now that's making full use of your KB shortcuts natively.
    Already done. I'm working on the battery cycle (had to start over since Sunday since its now a new battery).
    02-23-12 03:09 PM
    Switch the Bold to 3G only - battery life infinately improves and you'll be comparing apples to apples (iphone only has 3g).
    Moot point - my area doesn't have HSPA anyway.. Oh and I'm a she lol.

I can tell you that I in no way have the same battery life on 3G. Not even close.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-23-12 at 03:13 PM.
    02-23-12 03:10 PM
    Hi,

I am exactly like you expect that i have an iPhone 4S. Each brand has quality. I like both of them. Actually i'm using bold 9900 and when i wanna use my iPhone i activate blackberry's hotspot and i have access to all my app

Sorry for my english, i'm french.
    02-23-12 04:40 PM
    If you want to truly compare iPhone 4s battery life to 9900, you have to switch the 9900 to 3G mode, which is all the iPhone has. Battery life improves tremendously when you do this.
    There's no 3G mode on my 9900. I can choose between "3G/4G" and 2G (EDGE), that's all. So I either use EDGE or my 9900 goes to 4G (H+) when it's available.

In any case, I've found that keeping it on 3G/4G doesn't take that much of a toll on the battery. There's some difference, but not huge.
    reeneebob likes this.
    02-23-12 05:17 PM
    The replacement battery was much better. It still isn't better than my iPhone though. It's in my drawer from a while because I need trade notifications and there is nothing for NHL trade centre on BB. Yesterday was the third straight day on only BB and I'm not going to lie, it's nice to be back on my iPhone. The 9900 is a wonderful phone, but the screen is too small for me to use day to day, and the battery is still far worse than my iPhone. I still had to plug it in after about 8 hours and that was with far less use than my iPhone because it doesn't do much of what I use my iPhone for (and my iPhone wouldn't have to be plugged in at that point either).

It's going to be nice to have as a second phone, but I simply can't live with it as a day in and day out device.

02-25-12 10:09 AM
    In any case, I've found that keeping it on 3G/4G doesn't take that much of a toll on the battery. There's some difference, but not huge.
    I agree, the real battery hog is the 2G/3G setting which seems to use far more power switching between the two than a poor 3G signal does.
    02-25-12 10:16 AM
    I decided that to be a better BB salesperson, since the last daily use I had with a BB was os6, I should get a 9900. So I added a line and will be using both my bb and iPhone (I have it set so I can sim swap between the two with a base BB plan on the add a line and 6 gb BB data on iPhone).

Now to get used to it again. It's been a while. It won't be my main driver as I love my iPhone too much but I will be using it when I can.

Anything I should know?

You gotta download bridge 2.0 to your 9900 (no playbook needed)

It will transform it into the best freaking pc remote control.
    02-25-12 10:21 AM
    Ooooh thanks for that!

02-25-12 10:27 AM
    you'll have to get rid of that 9900 when bb10 comes out.
    02-25-12 11:56 AM

I have an iPad (1st gen) anda couple of different iPod touch devices. I've also owned several BB's, going back about 10 years. I now own the Bold 9930, and I LOVE IT! The only drawback, which absolutely surprised me about RIM, is the fact that the battery drains faster than any device from them that I've ever owned. And I've had both Storm models, which are full touch. They either need to get that fixed OR say goodbye to a significant competitive advantage over Android & iOS.

That said, I do carry a spare battery with me, so it's still a better situation than an iOS owner would face while out and about.

Here are the things that I LOVE about the 9930:

- Very fluid OS
    - Touch screen AND track pad AND physical keyboard. I constantly switch between all of them for various reasons
    - Much, much improved browser! I can get to sites that woldn't load on older devices.
    - Better media player, including ability to scroll through album art while listening to tunes.
    - Social feeds - I find this a surprisingly nice feature that I didn't think I'd use! I particularly like that I can setup favorites to follow! Well done.
    - BBM is much improved & is Da Bomb! Love that I can see when a message is both delivered AND read!
    - Email & calendar - goes without saying...still SECOND TO NONE. I'm sorry, but I can't stand email on the iPad. Also, can't stand using iPad calendar. I still find it absolutely BIZARRE that you can't snooze a reminder on iPad!!
    - Universal search is cool. I'm just starting to use it & think it's cool...I didn't think I'd use it, but when I did...was impressed. Don't use it on iPad still...not sure why.
    - BB allows the most granular customization imaginable. That can be perceived as both good & bad. To a tech junkie like me, it's fantastic! Others may find it overly complicated.

You probably know most of this stuff having been a prior BB owner...
    02-25-12 12:03 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD