How do check to see if apps are running in the background?

I am also having trouble with my battery.

Brightness on 10%
    Manual Refresh for Social Scope.
    15min phone call.
    Sent/Recieved about 60 txtz
    Received a couple of emails.
    Checked out a few websites.
    WiFi is off.

Took my phone off of the charger at 10am. It's now 1:42pm and I'm at 45%.

No Bueno. o_O

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hold down the menu button.
    08-29-11 12:59 PM
    I'll be honest I read a lot of these topics and knew to expect some issues. I read the same thing about the PlayBook too but as with any Lithium Ion battery I made sure when I first got the device I plugged it into a power source when I got it and let the battery fully charge before doing anything with it. When using it I made sure to FULLY deplete the battery before charging it. I find this only makes a difference for the first few charges. Afterwards the battery is smart and when/how long you charge it should not matter.
    Heavy use I can get a day out of it with some to spare. Light use I can get 2 days. If I'm away from home I can use EDGE and turn off wifi/bluetooth to get 3 or 4 days out of it. Its not as good as my 9700 but the battery IS smaller. For the performance of the device, I'll take it.
    08-29-11 01:07 PM
    My 9900 has now been off charge since yesterday at 1pm. It is now just after 2pm. I am at 14% right now. I do a good amount of BBM(especially with the wife). I text a good amount, go onto facebook every hour, browse the net a lot, maybe use 20-30 min of talk time. I suggest people with the 9900 use the latest leak of .353. Battery has been pretty good ever since.

08-29-11 01:08 PM
    I used to have bad battery life and it even stopped charging at 90% but after draining and fully charging it a few times, I got as long as 26 hours on one charge with light/medium usage (during the storm here in NJ). I charged my BB at 7 PM on Saturday evening and it shut off because of drained battery at 9 PM on Sunday night. But when in my office, it drains faster b/c I don't get good reception.
    1 drain
    2 remove battery for 2 minutes
    3 put battery back/don't power on your device (it will do it on its own once the charging starts)
    4 charge to 100%
    5 repeat a few times
    08-29-11 01:29 PM
    1. deplete
    2. remove battery for 2 minutes
    3. replace battery (don't power on your device; it will power on by itself once teh charging starts)
    4. charge to 100%
    5. repeat a few times

I used to have battery issues but after doing the above a few times I got as much as 26 hours of light/medium usage out of one charge
    08-29-11 01:32 PM
    If have been using my BB9900 for almost a week now. I have been using a BB9700 and never had trouble with my battery (lasted a day+) although I am a heavy user.
    Now, without changing my behavior and in a relatively slow business period, the new BB9900 battery does not last a day!!! Within 6 hours, the battery is almost down. Within 8 hours, I get the second and last warning to recharge. The device has then already shutdown automatically some functions. With the free App �Battery Saver � Free� it gets better but is still insufficient (besides the fact that I do not know the business model of this so called �free App� ).

I am under the impression that there are bad batteries in circulation. Not all the batteries are bad but only a few of them. Anyone sharing this impression?

Spindocter
    09-01-11 03:06 AM
    Rim better fix the battery issue asap...
    09-01-11 04:13 AM
    Follow the steps in the article on the main page.... 10 tips to better battery life!

I was getting a day of usage... now over 2 days just by changing a few things.

1) Turn Wifi on at home, turn off at work, and blutooth the same. Blutooth on when I leave the house and off when I get home.
    2) Screen brightness down to 30%, I do not see a big diff between this and 70% so after an hour I forgot all about it and its still very bright and crisp.
    3) GPS location off

thats all I did and not get 2 full days...

Daily usage is about 15-20 calls, 2-3 of them over 20 min. 30+emails, 30+ bbms, 10-15texts, maybe 20min worth of web browsing.
    09-01-11 08:18 AM
    My battery was at 85%. I talked on the phone for 2hrs & 38min and it is now at 10%. I was able to talk on my 9780 for a few hrs (from 80%+) and not hit yellow.
    For me its been the other way round...i finally got round to transferring my data from my 9780 to my 9900...my battery was at 30%, i havent even charged it fully as it was my first day using it and wanted to run it down to almost zero....i spent 2hrs+ on the phone to my missus and my battery was down to 15%...i turned it off when i got to her house because i didnt have my charger with me...woke up this morning, turned it on...did a few bbms and saw my yellow light start to flash...it got to 6% when i got to my office so put it on charge, still charging as it is.

Now my 9780, which is really underpowered specs wise to the 9900...would last me a day but that was highly dependant on my useage...most of the time i was down to 10% by the time i got home and that was a few hrs on the phone, quite a few bbms and emails amongst a bit of web browsing etc etc.

Now im going to be using my 9900 the same way i used my 9780 and see how it lasts,...**** if i can get a good days use out of it then im a happy bunny...if it isnt so great then ill take it back and get a new one...ill know by end of this week exactly what the battery life is like for me.

OP try the tips on the front page of cb...ive done them and so far my battery life looks pretty good
    09-01-11 08:38 AM
    Rim better fix the battery issue asap...
    Why??..what you gonna do?? threaten them?? PMSL
    09-01-11 08:41 AM
    I think this has probably been mentioned before in another thread, but I think i finally fixed my problem with the battery as It's actually doing pretty well today.
    I drained it down to around 15 % last night, and began to charge it, and I turned off the phone for it to properly charge. It seemed to work cuz my battery on idle is only draining at 1.5%/hr instead of the 5% yesterday.
    Though yesterday was the first day I drained the phone. Today is the second day..it may have just taken time for the battery to calibrate
    09-01-11 10:39 AM
    As I mentioned earlier, I did the same and now it charges fully on USB and I get decent usage (10 hours or more) but whenever I use the charging dock, I can't charge fully and. Even if I use the USB it still doesn't go to 100% unless I deplete to under 10% first. Anyone experiencing similar issues?

09-01-11 10:47 AM
    Title should read, "MYBB 9900 battery very poor". My battery is PERFECT after 2 days use.
    09-01-11 10:59 AM
    my bad, there are so many threads on poor battery life that I forget where I said what LOL
    09-01-11 11:14 AM
    updated to .317. i hope this fixes my battery issue.
    09-01-11 11:47 AM
    updated to .317. i hope this fixes my battery issue.
    Im usually reluctant to switch OS especially when theyre not the 'offical' release.

However after talking to a few buddies of mine (and referring back to some tips off the site), i don't see anyone mentioning 'location services' being a tip to help preserve battery life. I'm not familliar as to what or how this would affect my phone but I turned it off anyway as I assume it works in conjunction with the 9900's gps. Is anyone familliar with this 'location service' and its function?
    09-01-11 02:45 PM
    im not certain what ya'll definition of poor battery life, but comin from my 9550 using meterberry i'd get -ve 12-15/hr battery discharge. since using my 9900 since monday im averaging 7-8/hr discharge with similar usage.
    09-01-11 02:56 PM
    I'm pretty heavy on my 9900...i'm on bbm consistantly and checking emails. I'm not sure what the definition would be, but if i was to compare the 9900 battery life to my old 9780, the 9780 would last longer under the same conditions. Granted, the amperage of the 9780 battery was higher, still doesnt explain why i need to charge my phone 2-3x daily under heavy use vs 1-2x with my 9780.
    09-01-11 03:09 PM
    Just a suggestion. This might not be the same for all. I got my 9900 factory unlocked from India, which came with music app, Amazon MP3 store.

Go to Options>Device>Application Management>Amazon MP3 Store.

Delete that app. Pull your battery, restart it. My BB used to work for about half a day, now it works for almost 2 days. Hope it helps
    09-01-11 03:31 PM
    As I mentioned in a post before I had very good battery life until yesterday. My first conclusion was that Facebook was draining the battery and probably it was. However this does not explain the change I have experience in the battery life.

This morning I started to have problems again, without applications running. I had a look to the settings and the only difference with the days before was that I switched off the wifi as I do not have in the office. I do not know why I decided to switch it on again and the battery drain improved!!

It seems crazy that being in a place without wifi have it on improved the battery life. I guess this is a bug but try to leave it all the time on and you will see the difference.
    09-01-11 04:27 PM
    I'm actually finding the battery to be quite good. Granted, I'm using a T-Mobile 9900 on ATT's EDGE netowrk.

Honestly, I think it all all just comes down to which network you are on, what type of network are you on (2G-3G-4G) and where you are in relation to signal strength.

Last night I charged my device to 100% and unplugged it around 8 pm. After 2 hours on EDGE/Wi-Fi with a few bbms and emails, I was still at 100%. I went to bed at 12 and the device was at 90% after 4 hours of being off. Today I left for work - heavy usage of phone calls, bbm, text, email and websurfing and I'm at 20% at 7pm. I was in and out of service in my office but had wifi on. I attribute most of the drain to the device searching for a network. I'm amazed at the battery strength.

09-01-11 05:56 PM
    Why do people insist on parroting bad info like "fully discharge your battery"? WTF?????

09-16-11 07:23 PM
    Hey guys, I took my 9900 back to the shop yesterday, after about a week, and demanded a replacement, the battery just wasn't lasting. I gave it a full charge, with the power off, and booted it up at around 9pm. By about 4pm the following day, after very light usage, and two very short calls, my battery was at 20%.

I had to argue my case for a while, after being told by the sales staff that it was because I have bluetooth and wi fi on all the time, but my 9700 lasts for two days on a single charge and I never turn off blluetooth or wi fi.

So they gave me a new handset which, when I got home, I found had a defective call button, it had no 'click' to it when pressed. So I dashed back before they closed and got another replacement.

Gave this one a full charge last night, received one call, done a bit of BBMing, and my battery is already down to 50%, wtf is going on??
    10-15-11 05:12 AM
    My blackberry has only ever had bad battery on the days BIS was down. Battery is normal down to about 60% by 10pm at nite, after being taken off charge at 7am. In thsi time porbably around 20 texts and 40 bbms email and facebook push active. And about 20 mins of phone calls
    10-15-11 05:36 AM
    Do you have Bluetooth and Wi Fi on all the time?

If so, that's a lot more life than I'm getting!
    10-15-11 05:50 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD