When will we start to see video comparing Bold Touch vs iphone or android' browser. I would love to see how well it does! I don't think I can buy another BB that is painfully behind the competition.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jebulls; 06-17-11 at 10:49 PM.
    06-17-11 10:46 PM
    There is nothing the Bold can do to surpass, only match.
    06-17-11 10:51 PM
    RIM has NEVER been cutting edge.

What it does do is work well at what it was designed for.

If you want cutting edge get an Android Phone. I got a Samsung Galaxy S2 and it is awesome, yet it still can not replace my Blackberry.
    DawgMan likes this.
    06-18-11 09:03 AM
    I've got a 9780, a jailbroken iPhone 4 and a rooted HTC Inspire. The iPhone and Inspire are nice and fast, but need constant charging. The 9780 is definitely my go to device and can go for 2 days with heavy use before needing charged. Androids are nice but very difficult to slip in a front pocket like my BB.

Just my opinion but I don't believe RIM is trying to compete with android and iPhone but rather produce a solid business device for a specific demographic.
    06-18-11 09:27 AM
    If your being specific to the browser there really currently is not much to choose between them. The BB browser is slower loading just because of not having a direct out to the web, opera on BB proves how much faster some pages can load on a BB (rendering aside). i am assuming your not using OS6 BTW as browsing is much improved over OS5 with it's newer browser. Check it out if you have not.

The new thing in mobile browsers is hardware graphic acceleration. IE9 In Windows Phone Mango release will support this, I don't recall that being added in iOS5 but could be wrong. I doubt BB will have that before QNX devices.
    06-18-11 09:46 AM
    If your being specific to the browser there really currently is not much to choose between them. The BB browser is slower loading just because of not having a direct out to the web, opera on BB proves how much faster some pages can load on a BB (rendering aside). i am assuming your not using OS6 BTW as browsing is much improved over OS5 with it's newer browser. Check it out if you have not.

The new thing in mobile browsers is hardware graphic acceleration. IE9 In Windows Phone Mango release will support this, I don't recall that being added in iOS5 but could be wrong. I doubt BB will have that before QNX devices.
    Ummmm, I know the current browsing experience is terrible! I am talking about comparing 9930 to iphone
    06-18-11 10:36 AM
    9930 vs 9780

It seem fast.
    Last edited by blue81to; 06-18-11 at 05:11 PM. Reason: one more thing
    06-18-11 05:05 PM
    9930 vs 9780

It seem fast.
    interesting video
    06-18-11 11:11 PM
    Ummmm, I know the current browsing experience is terrible! I am talking about comparing 9930 to iphone
    In what reguards? They are made for 2 completly different types of users. Its like comparing apples to oranges. Both are delicious but it. DepeNds on your tastes.

06-19-11 12:51 AM
    In what reguards? They are made for 2 completly different types of users. Its like comparing apples to oranges. Both are delicious but it. DepeNds on your tastes.

I know it's unpopular to say it, but I agree with you.
    I know Apple and Android are used in business and I know companies are going to them, but BB is primarily a business phone. I know non business people use them but I really feel the BB/BES toolset is absolutely indispensable in my work environment.
    Flame suit on.....
    06-19-11 05:28 AM
    If you are looking a browser performance only, my Galaxy S2 outperforms both my RIM and Apple phones with ease. The super AMOLED screen sips on power and I can have the Galaxy S2 check email every 5 minutes without even running below 50% battery at the end of the day.

Android has got a ever increasing library of software and will MORE than meet more peoples needs. Unless RIM really steps up phones Android is going to eat their lunch! New and better phones are coming out ever week, running Android, it will be hard for anyone to compete.
    06-19-11 06:35 AM
    There is a certain danger inherent in growing too big too soon....Google has become a behemoth, somewhat undisciplined. Their products give me no trust. I already deleted the gmail account I had to get when I got my Atrix.
    *if* there were no RIM I'd go iOS. *if* there were no Apple I'd go W8.
    06-19-11 06:42 AM
    for me it'd be like this:

RIM > Windows > Android > iOS > WebOS

(even tho im not a google fan, android seems to be quite nice, at least better than iOS !)
    im not really sure if windows > android or android > windows tho
    guess we have to wait for mango and see what its like

also i always thought windows supports or plans to support flash, but yesterday i read a few posts which said windows doesnt support flash and doesnt plan to?
    so the only one which currently supports flash (on a phone) is android?

also... all of this doesnt really matter.. since i'll always stick with blackberry !
    bold 9900 -> QNX
    06-19-11 06:53 AM
    True...I'm willing to wait for this company to turn itself around. And if it doesn't I'll stay with them for as long as their devices keep me happy. If I'm the last person buying the last BB that's fine for me.
    Because for me and my needs/wants, it's perfect.
    06-19-11 06:59 AM
    True...I'm willing to wait for this company to turn itself around. And if it doesn't I'll stay with them for as long as their devices keep me happy. If I'm the last person buying the last BB that's fine for me.
    Because for me and my needs/wants, it's perfect.
    yep, agree : )
    06-19-11 07:56 AM
    My BB does what I need it to do. Handles calls, email and messages without a hitch all day long. Right out of the box, day one, it's ready to go to work, no rooting, no exceptions or trade-offs for functions/apps I don't need. I asked one of my iP friends why she didn't answer/use her email, she said she couldn't stay connected to her push email because it drained her battery! She gives up that very basic function of a smart phone but smirks at me because I use an un-cool BB! I just don't get it...fashion trumps funtion? Not for me.

06-19-11 09:47 AM
    RIM has NEVER been cutting edge.

What it does do is work well at what it was designed for.

If you want cutting edge get an Android Phone. I got a Samsung Galaxy S2 and it is awesome, yet it still can not replace my Blackberry.
    RIM was always cutting edge until the introduction of the iphone. From that point on they have been behind the 8 ball.

06-19-11 09:57 AM

I don't think making the browser comparable to the iphone should be too much to ask. Using Facebook, twitter and the browser does not need to painful imo. Are these 3 things the most important things to me on a phone no, but I still would like a better experience! So basically what I am saying is if I don't really want an iphone then what you saying is then I should have to suffer when it comes to fb, twitter and the browsing experience?? I think RIM can and should do better!!
    06-19-11 10:44 AM
    My BB does what I need it to do. Handles calls, email and messages without a hitch all day long. Right out of the box, day one, it's ready to go to work, no rooting, no exceptions or trade-offs for functions/apps I don't need. I asked one of my iP friends why she didn't answer/use her email, she said she couldn't stay connected to her push email because it drained her battery! She gives up that very basic function of a smart phone but smirks at me because I use an un-cool BB! I just don't get it...fashion trumps funtion? Not for me.

Take a look at when I joined CB and you'll see that it coincided with the launch of the iPhone 3GS. I came here (oddly enough!) not to research BBs because I'd had one for work and I had my 8310 which I loved. I came here in advance of the 3GS launch and then stayed to try to figure out what to do about the battery life. I could not believe that I was being told to turn off push, turn off 3G, turn down the display to 10%....wait....what?!??!!?
    My 3GS went back. Years later Atrix went to a family member.
    I'm still with my BB. Ooooooone after the other. I prefer BB over all the cool, trendy, phone du jour.
    06-19-11 11:59 AM
    I don't think making the browser comparable to the iphone should be too much to ask. Using Facebook, twitter and the browser does not need to painful imo. Are these 3 things the most important things to me on a phone no, but I still would like a better experience! So basically what I am saying is if I don't really want an iphone then what you saying is then I should have to suffer when it comes to fb, twitter and the browsing experience?? I think RIM can and should do better!!
    No thank you, I want to retain the ability to download and upload with the browser, the ability to send any webpage or weblink to any IM client/social network platform directly from the browser, the ability to play youtube videos on mute while I listen to music at the same time, the browser keyboard shortcuts, t-top, b-bottom, space-page down, f-search in page, toggle tabs etc

Other then being faster, the iphone browser is inferior.

eBud likes this.
    06-20-11 04:58 AM
    RIM was always cutting edge until the introduction of the iphone. From that point on they have been behind the 8 ball.

Rim has never been cutting edge in hardware, what are you talking about?

06-20-11 05:00 AM
    belfast, I do agree with the assessment that BBerries have never been spec oriented; rather, they're more corporate functionality oriented. That's the reason it's in this muddle. They focused so much on corporate/security that they did not focus on the consumer market. iPhone knocked them for a loop. Android's much more advanced than the iPhone too. That doesn't matter to me, BB gives me what I want.
    06-20-11 06:03 AM
    .........I'm still with my BB. Ooooooone after the other. I prefer BB over all the cool, trendy, phone du jour.
    When you like something, stay with it!
    06-20-11 06:14 AM
    When you like something, stay with it!
    Especially when you actually try other things and you find that they don't hit the sweet spot!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-20-11 06:18 AM

I stand corrected, you are correct.

I forget that when I was using a RIM 950, it was like magic back then and they WERE cutting edge.
    06-20-11 07:43 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD