I currently use a Motorola Droid, and I was planning on getting a new phone soon - I love my Droid, but I like knowing about other phones, trying them out, and.. you know, variety.

I was watching a bunch of videos about the 9900/9930, and I'm honestly not very smart when it comes to these things.
    What's the difference between the 9900 and the 9930? Tell me in English. I'm not very used to all of those fancy terms.

Getting back on topic, I heard about the Curve 9350/9370. What's the difference between the new Bold, and the new Curve? I don't know if you know, but.. if anyone knows, it's the people here.

Also, if anyone knows if these are coming out for Verizon, that would be cool.
    05-30-11 11:45 PM
    I currently use a Motorola Droid, and I was planning on getting a new phone soon - I love my Droid, but I like knowing about other phones, trying them out, and.. you know, variety.

I was watching a bunch of videos about the 9900/9930, and I'm honestly not very smart when it comes to these things.
    What's the difference between the 9900 and the 9930? Tell me in English. I'm not very used to all of those fancy terms.

Getting back on topic, I heard about the Curve 9350/9370. What's the difference between the new Bold, and the new Curve? I don't know if you know, but.. if anyone knows, it's the people here.

Also, if anyone knows if these are coming out for Verizon, that would be cool.
    The Curve will not have a touch screen and it has a lower price point because Curve line up will have little bit of less power in the processor. It is made for people who don't want to spend money on a Bold. Both Bold 9900 and 9930 will be the same except that 9900 is GSM and 9930 has CDMA and GSM for international use.
    miicaela likes this.
    05-30-11 11:51 PM
    The Curve will not have a touch screen and it has a lower price point because Curve line up will have little bit of less power in the processor. It is made for people who don't want to spend money on a Bold. Both Bold 9900 and 9930 will be the same except that 9900 is GSM and 9930 has CDMA and GSM for international use.
    Exactly what I was talking about.
    I'm not quite aware of what GSM and CDMA is.
    And everything else I read said it had a touch screen.. odd.
    Anyways, thank you!
    05-30-11 11:54 PM
    GSM is for at&t and tmobile (use sim cards) and CDMA is sprint and verizon

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-11 12:00 AM
    Exactly what I was talking about.
    I'm not quite aware of what GSM and CDMA is.
    And everything else I read said it had a touch screen.. odd.
    Anyways, thank you!
    GSM aks Global System for Mobile Communications, is a type of microwave radio band that use less power(compared to CDMA) to transmit a signal to be received by an antenna on mobile phones.

CDMA aka Code division multiple access, is another type of microwave radio band that use more power(compared to GSM) to transmit a single to be received by an antenna on mobile phones.

I don't want to go any more deeper in to technical details than than, but FYI, the engineering architecture of the GSM is more advanced and it is easy to implement. Due to how the GSM system works and its advanced PCM(Pulse Code Modulator), the GSM phones seems to be popular. (there are some other benefits of GSM such as battery life is bit better, more stable system in terms of transmission equipments, most do not have OTA SIM lock, etc, etc)

GSM phones like 9900 is suitable for many people who wants to travel around the world. (over 200 countries use the same/smiliar GSM band and you do not have to do an OTA SIM card registration for MOST phones based on GSM)

Hope I didn't confuse you. My dad is a PCM engineer and my mom is a satellite transmission engineer.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 05-31-11 at 12:18 AM.
    05-31-11 12:12 AM
    Also, can you accept Facebook friend requests? I would prefer to not have to go on Facebook mobile to accept a friend request I won't even realize I have for a while.

And also, that wasn't confusing at all.
    05-31-11 12:13 AM
    Also, can you accept Facebook friend requests? I would prefer to not have to go on Facebook mobile to accept a friend request I won't even realize I have for a while.

And also, that wasn't confusing at all.
    This has nothing to do with CDMA/GSM(9930/9900) stuff. It has to do with apps. The official Facebook app for OS7 has the new Facebook app by RIM and it allows the user to accept friends request for sure. I have accepted many requests from my 9700 running OS6 and new Facebook app 2.0. BUT.... big BUT, I found that if you have a FB event, the app seems to crash or get an error. I check with RIM's community forum and it is not just me...
    05-31-11 12:22 AM
    This has nothing to do with CDMA/GSM(9930/9900) stuff. It has to do with apps. The official Facebook app for OS7 has the new Facebook app by RIM and it allows the user to accept friends request for sure. I have accepted many requests from my 9700 running OS6 and new Facebook app 2.0. BUT.... big BUT, I found that if you have a FB event, the app seems to crash or get an error. I check with RIM's community forum and it is not just me...
    I'm aware, I was just throwing it in there.
    05-31-11 12:29 AM
    Oh forgot to tell you.... compared to iPhone and Android, BlackBerry apps are limited. Some people here will say that well, "useless apps" in iPhone and Android is not needed. The fact is more and more important apps seems to be missing from BlackBerry including government apps.

So, if you are coming to BB, make sure you have all the apps you need on App World.
    05-31-11 12:32 AM
    Ah, thank you. I won't have a problem with that, though. I don't use many apps at all. I really only use them for Facebook and games. My sister used to have a Blackberry, so I'm familiar with the games and I love them all. If I'm not satisfied, I always have my iPod touch.
    05-31-11 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD