First off let me say i love this phone & it will be the next phone im getting But just curious, does anyone notice why the chin seems to be wider, longer, or bigger on this bold? It sort of bothers me, but once our phone company logo is on there im sure it will look better & also once i get to hold it. I dont know probably just me... I was thinking they could of made the chin a little smaller and extend the size of the touchscreen... makes sense. But all in all thanks RIM for this wonderful phone everyone has been waiting for!
    05-03-11 12:48 AM
    The chin is probably there for a couple reasons:
    1) aesthetics - the feeling of quality for a device is greatly affected by the dimensions. the chin probably stretches it out to make it look/feel good.

2) usability - i don't know how comfortable the keyboard would be withou a chin. everytime you hit the space your thumb may slip off the keyboard.
    05-03-11 01:25 AM
    There is a need for the chin, BUT it does look a little bit too big this time around. I'm sure RIM had their reasons for making it that size and I'm sure none of us will ever know exactly.
    05-03-11 02:04 AM
    It affects the height of the phone, probably the least geometrically significant aspect of the phone. As long as it's a comfortable width and thickness, I don't think it's a big deal at all to add a bit of a chin (as long as it's not like that awful HTC Jay Leno...I mean Hero).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 02:27 AM
    Probably something under there. Since the phone is thiner, the surface area makes up for it? lol. maybe an antenna or memory or something.
    05-03-11 03:15 AM
    probably a wifi or bluetooth antenna, or the phones main aerial.
    keeping it at the bottom would eliminate the "death grip" issues alot of smart phones have.
    05-03-11 06:15 AM
    I agree it does look a tad large, but it should make for a great 2-thumb typing experience.

I have a Motorola Droid Pro, and although it has a fantastic keypad... typing on it is a pain due to it being chinless, as you have to hold it so low down. This makes it very top-heavy and I'm always dropping the damn thing!

The chin will also give you somewhere to rest your weary thumbs between words

AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    05-03-11 06:26 AM
    Yeah, I am sure it is all about ergonomics and balance to give you the best configuration for typing. The 9000 has a good size "chin" albeit not as big as this one.
    05-03-11 08:34 AM
    The Jay Leno of smartphones.

lol
    05-03-11 08:02 PM
    Could be where the antenna is. It's the furthest part of the phone from your head; also with it being thinner it could be the best spot for it. By way of example, the Moto Razr and Sanyo Katanas had the antenna there as well - safest and best spot for phones as thin as those.

05-03-11 08:22 PM
    Could be where the antenna is. It's the furthest part of the phone from your head; also with it being thinner it could be the best spot for it. By way of example, the Moto Razr and Sanyo Katanas had the antenna there as well - safest and best spot for phones as thin as those.

my crappy HTC touch had the antenna at the bottom - one of the many reasons why reception sucks.
    05-03-11 09:05 PM
    Most phones have their antennas at the bottom, or at least they used to. My 9000 does, if I remember correctly.
    05-03-11 09:59 PM
    The thing I noticed about it most was the matt finish Vs the top half of the device being glossy, kinda stuck out as a mismatch.
    05-03-11 10:28 PM
    I didn't think the 9000 was big, the keyboard was really nice. This one makes up for the large surface area by being so thin.
    05-04-11 12:56 PM
    There is a need for the chin, BUT it does look a little bit too big this time around. I'm sure RIM had their reasons for making it that size and I'm sure none of us will ever know exactly.
    The odds are that it had to be slightly bigger than the bold 9000 to keep the device suitably balanced with the slightly larger screen in a thinner device.
    Last edited by Skeevecr; 05-04-11 at 01:12 PM.
    05-04-11 01:10 PM
    I used a 9000 and my 9700 for a few months and going from the 9700 to the 9000 was pure luxury, so much easier to type, even tho I like the 9700 keyboard but it just took less effort. And the extra screen size made quite a huge difference, less zooming when browsing.

I'll put it this way, it was like when I get out of my Smart car and get into our family car lol

05-04-11 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD