I was upset to learn that the Bold 9900/9930 are not compatible with the QNX OS set to release Q1 2012. This should have been made clear upfront before I signed up for another 2 years. Personally, I would have waited to upgrade.

Don't get me wrong this is an awesome device, but the Bold Touch running QNX is gonna be effing sweet.
    Last edited by jivy75; 08-30-11 at 03:24 AM.
    08-30-11 03:01 AM
    You know that RIM is going to release the BlackBerry Colt this year (maybe) ?
    Has the same specs as the Bold 9900, and run's QNX.
    So it would be strange if that device does support QNX and the Bold 9900 will not (same as 9810 and 9860).

Otherwise I hope there will be a bold 9990 (or something like it) Q1 2012 that does support QNX.
    08-30-11 03:37 AM
    I was upset to learn that the Bold 9900/9930 are not compatible with the QNX OS set to release Q1 2012. This should have been made clear upfront before I signed up for another 2 years. Personally, I would have waited to upgrade.

Don't get me wrong this is an awesome device, but the Bold Touch running QNX is gonna be effing sweet.
    One in the hand, is worth two in the bush.
    08-30-11 03:57 AM
    You know that RIM is going to release the BlackBerry Colt this year (maybe) ?
    Has the same specs as the Bold 9900, and run's QNX.
    So it would be strange if that device does support QNX and the Bold 9900 will not (same as 9810 and 9860).

Otherwise I hope there will be a bold 9990 (or something like it) Q1 2012 that does support QNX.
    Agreed, hopefully we can get some confirmation on this.
    08-30-11 04:15 AM
    @Asmooh: Just because the Colt might be single-core, it doesn't mean it'll have the same specs. There's more to phone specs than just a core processor.

I'm pretty sure RIM did state this clearly and over 9000 web articles already state this, it's not their fault you didn't do a bit of researching. No offense intended, but seriously...
    08-30-11 06:00 AM
    @Asmooh: Just because the Colt might be single-core, it doesn't mean it'll have the same specs. There's more to phone specs than just a core processor.

I'm pretty sure RIM did state this clearly and over 9000 web articles already state this, it's not their fault you didn't do a bit of researching. No offense intended, but seriously...
    True but until it's released there is no guaranty. Alot, of rumors about upcoming devices alot of the time end up being just that rumors. And manufactors make promises that they end up changing and say *Insert excuse here*. Most likely because what they promised was too expensive for them to do at the time. Hopefully, the Colt isn't the same specs but lets wait and see shall we?
    08-30-11 06:45 AM
    The QNX OS will change the way humans communicate: a new language for the masses.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 07:03 AM
    This is technology- there are no guarantees for future compatibility with any OS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-30-11 07:25 AM
    I think RIM is gonna play both sides of the fence (QNX & OS7) for the next few years. Their existing system (BIS/BES) is not compatible with QNX and it will never will be from what i have read. So they will adopt Activesync for QNX systems. Why they will play both sides is because they still a lot of clients using BES (Gov't agencies, major corporations) thus will not want to alienate their bread and butter. I am sure we will see a Bold 99XX same device but with QNX installed instead of OS7. Personally i knew this before buying the 9900 and will be selling mine once the QNX flavour Bold comes out. I prefer Activesync over my BES server.
    melander likes this.
    08-30-11 08:13 AM
    +1 you are correct, in fact i remember when this place got fired up when the 9900 was announced...there were quite a few threads on QNX compatibility and the general consensus is that the 9900/9930 will not support QNX.

If people only did a bit of research on stuff like this then they wouldnt have to resort to blaming RIM as they did make it pretty damn clear that the 9900/9930 will not be able to run QNX...maybe a watered down version but i highly doubt it. I mean i only picked up my 9900 yesterday, 2 weeks after release because as much as i wanted it...i waited to see what people were saying before plunging in.
    08-30-11 08:52 AM
    I don't understand people's logic. Who buys a device hoping it would be upgraded to the newest OS? That's not smart at all. You would've waited. That's what you should have done in the first place.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk
    08-30-11 09:31 AM
    Is the BlackBerry Colt going to have a keyboard or full touchscreen?
    08-30-11 09:36 AM
    Actually, QNX can run on x86, PowerPC, ARM and other architectures.
    The Bold is based on the ARM architecture.
    08-30-11 09:43 AM
    QNX will not be on the 9900... the first QNX device is suppose to release Q1 2012 (maybe! might be in q4 2011 or might be q2 2012) this is a whole new OS and device RIM is working with... i can see more of a q2 2012 release of the new QNX. and rumor has it the first QNX device will e all touch screen, no keyboard
    08-30-11 10:06 AM
    Is the BlackBerry Colt going to have a keyboard or full touchscreen?
    It's been mentioned that the 1st QNX device will be full touch!
    Blade Runner IV likes this.
    08-30-11 10:21 AM
    I don't understand people's logic. Who buys a device hoping it would be upgraded to the newest OS? That's not smart at all. You would've waited. That's what you should have done in the first place.

That's what I'm saying.

08-30-11 10:26 AM

People do it all the time.

08-30-11 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD