So my new shiny Bold 9900 has NFC capabilities but to be honest with you, I don't know what it's good for. I know the promise of what it's good for but have yet to see anything out there.

So, what can I do with it, now, not in a year?
    08-11-11 06:45 PM
    Eventually you will be able to use it to make contactless payments so in essence your Blackberry could act as your debit card. Pretty pointless I know but still, an extra feature can't be bad.
    08-11-11 07:05 PM
    Thats probably the feature I'm looking forward to the most, but when is it coming out? Not for a while I don't think. I wonder, what can I do today?
    08-11-11 07:08 PM
    Thats probably the feature I'm looking forward to the most, but when is it coming out? Not for a while I don't think. I wonder, what can I do today?
    It's out there. You mean when will you specifically be able to use it? idk

NFC World

You can look up the latest on nfc and look at real world applications.

EDIT - Just noticed you were in Montreal. Try https://www.zoompass.com/web/personal/index.jsp
    Cheers,
    08-11-11 07:11 PM
    Sweet, thanks!

So I guess RIM put NFC in the phone just to say they had it, but it doesn't actually have many applications yet.
    08-11-11 07:12 PM
    Sweet, thanks!

So I guess RIM put NFC in the phone just to say they had it, but it doesn't actually have many applications yet.
    They could, with some simple software and available support from a third party (as of now), they are on the same footing as qr codes were, back in the day, but offer 100sx the functionality. Zoompass had a pilot beta program that allowed a group of people to place nfc stickers on their smartphones and used them as their wallets. I am sure at the beginning that is where you will see the most growth, but it could be used in other ways, even Visa is moving towards a dual chip(the second one to support the growth of North American NFC growth). It's the next level of interact.
    08-11-11 07:18 PM
    Cashless society is being fulfilled before our very eyes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 08:29 PM
    Wikipedia to save the day

Near field communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The transferring of an electronic business card seems to be something RIM should do ASAP considering their business customers.
    stormrider_67 likes this.
    08-11-11 08:38 PM
    is it a feature to add BBM contacts or not?
    08-11-11 09:24 PM
    I hear it will be able to exchange info between 2 blackberries (eventually) by tapping the backs together
    08-11-11 09:29 PM
    The day i can register my credit card to this and use it in enough places that I can not carry a wallet, i will be very happy.
    BerryGirl1204 likes this.
    08-11-11 09:50 PM
    It could be used that way, yes.

Even better when you can tap a terminal for a Tims!!
    08-11-11 10:06 PM
    it can be used for a swipe pass to get into your work instead of those stupid cards. I always lose mine. im hoping my company lets phone be used as swipe passes soon!
    08-11-11 10:25 PM
    it can be used for a swipe pass to get into your work instead of those stupid cards. I always lose mine. im hoping my company lets phone be used as swipe passes soon!
    Yes, as long as your cards/readers fall under ISO 14443 (A/B) [International standard for smart cards] and feliCa (Passive mode - that way your phone does nothing but get close to the reader) No power loss.
    08-11-11 10:33 PM
    There are 30,000 vendors in the UK that are linked up with NFC.
    What country do you live in. They must be behind the time. Hang tight ..... NFC will be coming to you soon.
    08-11-11 10:55 PM

Yes, you will be able to bump and share information with other NFC devices. Not sure if it will be cross platform, but I'm sure it could be.
    08-11-11 11:23 PM
    Isn't PayPass nfc? I know phones work for it so I'm sure BlackBerry could work. And then there's google wallet...

I'll just leave it at that

08-11-11 11:44 PM
    ive heard rumor on net that verizon and tmobile are blocking the feature. im not sure how but article said it interferes with the network in some way.
    08-11-11 11:51 PM
    There are 30,000 vendors in the UK that are linked up with NFC.
    What country do you live in. They must be behind the time. Hang tight ..... NFC will be coming to you soon.
    Yeah... behind the times no doubt! If the US is still waiting for it, Canada will be even longer. To be honest, I have hardly even seen QR codes in Canada.... Looks like we will be waiting a while.
    08-12-11 12:17 AM
    You guys are missing the big picture here. Because NFC works on a similar principle as RFID (which is used from ID chips to Public Transportation access) this could finally allow people to start whittling the things that go into our pockets down to just a phone. For example, your car has an NFC chip tied to the door locks and the ignition system. You walk up and tap the door with your phone and it unlocks. Then you get inside and either place the phone in a special receptacle or tap it against a special pad and the car starts. Another example is currently a lot of major Public Transportation systems use (sometimes) freely given plastic cards with RFID chips built in, which are tied to accounts that hold cash to be used to access trains or buses. Now imagine that you just walk up to the gate and tap your phone and either your bank account is directly deducted or a special city account (like what exists today) is deducted. Not only would that make it easier for the passenger but would save the city the cost of mass producing the cards needed to make the system work. There is a ton of potential and I can't wait to see what people do with this.
    Masahiro, pmich and 00stryder like this.
    08-12-11 12:47 AM
    Yeah... behind the times no doubt! If the US is still waiting for it, Canada will be even longer. To be honest, I have hardly even seen QR codes in Canada.... Looks like we will be waiting a while.
    Have you been living under a rock?
    QR codes are everywhere in Canada!

I live in Toronto and they are up on billboards, magazines, bus stop and lamp post advertisements.

At a few fast food joints, and even at a McDonalds once, there were QR codes linking into nutritional facts, coupons, and advertisements for other services that the company responsible for the advertisement displays are affiliated with.

Don't forget Pizza Pizza either, and of course our lovable BlackBerry!
    At an NXS event at Dundas Square, BlackBerry was there with a stall. Add them to your BBM and throughout the weekend, they were letting people know who was playing, and when to go by to get some free swag like BlackBerry branded Dasani bottles of water (they were pretty neat, 1 pints), BBMe shirts (with room on the back to go to a print shirt shop and put your pin on the back!), screen cleaners, and BB branded LED glowsticks.

It's awesome to be part of the BB community when their PR team comes up with stuff like this back to BlackBerry owners/users.
    08-12-11 01:48 AM
    Cashless society is being fulfilled before our very eyes.

he is here a day like a week.
    08-12-11 02:38 AM
    Wow another thread on NFC.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ically-635130/

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...isions-636763/

I for one like the idea of integrating a lot of corporate tasks into 1 device/system.

Imagine a person that might be a manager or driver for a company that has to go on the lot to get a fleet vehicle. When they get to work they might have to clock in or open a security door. Go get a vehicle off the lot and maybe even put gas in it at the company fuel pump. They can accomplish this with 1 device instead of countless. Plus it can help save a company money by not having to program or buy many different programed cards,keys etc. Now they do not need a card the lot gate, the door or fuel pump.

Easier to track and less chance of misplacing the countless cards/keys. Less theft if the company has to track fuel use or other monitored equipment.
    08-12-11 07:33 AM
    Wow another thread on NFC.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ically-635130/

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...isions-636763/

I for one like the idea of integrating a lot of corporate tasks into 1 device/system.

Imagine a person that might be a manager or driver for a company that has to go on the lot to get a fleet vehicle. When they get to work they might have to clock in or open a security door. Go get a vehicle off the lot and maybe even put gas in it at the company fuel pump. They can accomplish this with 1 device instead of countless. Plus it can help save a company money by not having to program or buy many different programed cards,keys etc. Now they do not need a card the lot gate, the door or fuel pump.

Easier to track and less chance of misplacing the countless cards/keys. Less theft if the company has to track fuel use or other monitored equipment.
    This isn't the second coming. NFC has been around in full commercial use since 2006. The things you describe are already being done overseas. Here in North America, the same things are accomplished with fobs(RFID and NFC)/smart cards(iclass/Smart cards)/etc...

Statistics show that it is much easier to lose an integrated device than a stand alone one...lol I go through 100s of requests a day for new access devices (Non standard), and if security wasn't an issue, then it would have already put into effect here.
    08-12-11 07:41 AM
    NFC technology seems so effortless and easy. Just a simple tap on the back and you have instant information.

What if your phone is stolen and you don't have a password when you lock it? What kind of damage can be done?

08-12-11 07:43 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD