I was wondering if you can change the e-mail settings to refresh/download emails only when you hit refresh or something. I know you could manually select to download emails on iPhone and I'm wondering if you can do this on BB too. Thanks!!

BB>>>>>iphone
    01-19-12 02:32 PM
    Not with the BlackBerry email app.

The handset does not initiate email downloads. The server initiates transfers and pushes messages to the handset.
    InvincibleBB likes this.
    01-19-12 02:38 PM
    No. BB's work via push to the device, not pull.
    Only way to stop receiving would be to turn your data off (but that would kill all data).

Can I ask why you would want that?
    InvincibleBB likes this.
    01-19-12 02:39 PM
    The other option would be to go to the firewall settings on the BlackBerry and block personal and/or enterprise email. However, the emails would come flooding in as soon as you disable the firewall block.
    01-19-12 02:42 PM
    Why would you want to do that?? Blackberries are extremely efficient push-mail devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-12 02:47 PM
    Why would you want to do that?? Blackberries are extremely efficient push-mail devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I know what you mean, but some people don't like the email coming in just any old time, coming in at night, whatever. Even though they've chose a BlackBerry they want to control when they get their email. Have seen this general question many times.

Maybe their are third-party solutions, I don't know.
    InvincibleBB likes this.
    01-19-12 02:53 PM
    Can I suggest utilizing your profile settings to just disable notifications? You could have a 'Night' profile for example, and you could set email to have no sound or LED notification, but you could still be notified for phone calls and texts if you wanted.
    InvincibleBB likes this.
    01-19-12 03:36 PM
    Using a custom profile is what I would also recommend, depending on what the OP is after.

Also -- and again, depends on what OP wants to do -- there is at least one app that will automatically change profiles based on time or for certain calendar entries (i.e. class, court, meeting, etc.).

Depends on what OP has in mind.
    InvincibleBB likes this.
    01-19-12 03:41 PM
    RIM came up with PUSH email and u'd like to not have it? Lol.
    wolfee48 and berry_addict like this.
    01-19-12 04:27 PM
    Can I suggest utilizing your profile settings to just disable notifications? You could have a 'Night' profile for example, and you could set email to have no sound or LED notification, but you could still be notified for phone calls and texts if you wanted.
    And if you set a night profile, have it active when you enter bedside mode. Im pretty sure thats why we have a bedside mode. You wouldnt have to manually change your sound profile ever.
    InvincibleBB likes this.
    01-19-12 05:04 PM
    Thank you for the good answers and explanations. I currently do not have unlimited data and some I didn't want to receive e-mails 24/7 (I receive way too many). I definitely like the push future, but it would be nice to have the pull option, but either way thanks for the clarification!
    01-20-12 03:46 AM
    You would need many e-mails constantly coming in for you to blow your limit on just that. You can always turn off all connections if you do not want to be disturbed, most e-mail accounts have filters, creative use of filters has saved me hundreds to dozens of e-mails a day.

There are many solutions for what you want, but you will have to do some homework to find out which solution fits best for you.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 01-21-12 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Too many Rs
    InvincibleBB likes this.
    01-20-12 03:57 AM
    Maybe OP doesn't want their partner seeing who's sending emails :~o

On the account where I get a ton of emails and junk, I just use the web interface.
    InvincibleBB likes this.
    01-20-12 04:46 AM
    I think someone already pointed out that email uses very little data in the bigger scheme of things. If that is the only concern, don't worry about it.

And some one mentioned filters. That is the solution if you want to prevent certain email being sent to the handset.

The firewall could be used to block all email except from contacts, but you would still use data for those messages that are sent but blocked.
    InvincibleBB likes this.
    01-20-12 05:53 AM
    Thank you for the good answers and explanations. I currently do not have unlimited data and some I didn't want to receive e-mails 24/7 (I receive way too many). I definitely like the push future, but it would be nice to have the pull option, but either way thanks for the clarification!
    If you're coming from another OS, one thing to keep in mind is that all data routes through RIMs servers where it gets compressed and then delivered to your phone. The result is that you will only consume a fraction of data compared to the same usage on an iPhone or Android.

Keep an eye on your usage for the 1st few months, but I think you'll be surprised at how low your actual numbers are
    InvincibleBB likes this.
    01-20-12 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD