Hi Guys,

I am trying to resist the urge to upgrade my Storm 1 to the Bold 9900 before my contract runs out in March, but I don't think I can hold out much longer!

I wanted to ask those on Canadian carriers how the reception is with their new Bold. I currently am on Telus in the Mississauga (near Toronto), but my condo gives me very bad reception which leads to dropped calls, calls that can't even connect, unsent texts, hanging BBM messages, etc. I have seen my friends with their Rogers Android phones get better reception, but I would like to stay with Telus if at all possible.

Can anyone comment on their experiences for their carrier's call quality, speeds, and reception (in high signal and low signal areas)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would the new Bold for Telus be on their HSPA+ network, as opposed to my 1xEV (3G?) network of my current Storm?
    Thanks,
    09-23-11 09:05 AM
    You will get stronger reception with any of the HSPA+ BB devices ... It will be night and day coming from the Storm.
    bbqkid8 likes this.
    09-23-11 09:10 AM
    WOW!! someone with the SAME ISSUE as me!!! haha

I live in a Condo as well near mississauga, closer to toronto, and i live on the Pent House Floor (i don't know if the high floor makes a difference cause i've never had issues in my friends condos on lower floors, so if ur on a high floor maybe that is the reason why..maybe)

with my Torch I had about 1 bar or no reception and dropped calls...

with my 9900 (both my wife and i have it) it is a little better where i get 1, 2 or 3 bars.. and once the call is connected it rarely drops, but once in a while it will, where as my torch was like 90% of the time.

When i call my wife while she is at home sometimes my call will go to her VM directly, which means she doesn't have enough reception to receive my call.

so as it is better, it's still has it's "WTF should i get a house phone" kinda moments.

I even called ROGERS to complain but they said there is nothing they can do... i have been tempted to buy those BOGUS Signal booster apps even though i know they dont work, JUST INCASE!

i think there are signal booster antennas but i dunno how much radio waves will increase .. maybe i;m being paranoid but our new baby is coming in Nov and i don't want increased radio waves in my home.
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 09-23-11 at 09:49 AM.
    bbqkid8 likes this.
    09-23-11 09:41 AM
    +1

Even coming from a 9800 I'm getting far better reception on my Rogers 9900 in downtown TO.
    bbqkid8 likes this.
    09-23-11 09:42 AM
    I'm in both the Waterloo region and the GTA, and my signal with Rogers has been very much improved compared to my Bold 9000.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bbqkid8 likes this.
    09-23-11 10:17 AM
    WOW!! someone with the SAME ISSUE as me!!! haha

I live in a Condo as well near mississauga, closer to toronto, and i live on the Pent House Floor (i don't know if the high floor makes a difference cause i've never had issues in my friends condos on lower floors, so if ur on a high floor maybe that is the reason why..maybe)

with my Torch I had about 1 bar or no reception and dropped calls...

with my 9900 (both my wife and i have it) it is a little better where i get 1, 2 or 3 bars.. and once the call is connected it rarely drops, but once in a while it will, where as my torch was like 90% of the time.

When i call my wife while she is at home sometimes my call will go to her VM directly, which means she doesn't have enough reception to receive my call.

so as it is better, it's still has it's "WTF should i get a house phone" kinda moments.

I even called ROGERS to complain but they said there is nothing they can do... i have been tempted to buy those BOGUS Signal booster apps even though i know they dont work, JUST INCASE!

i think there are signal booster antennas but i dunno how much radio waves will increase .. maybe i;m being paranoid but our new baby is coming in Nov and i don't want increased radio waves in my home.
    Thanks everyone for their replies. Funny how you get bad reception on the penhouse floor. I'm on the 33rd floor and have signal issues. You would think the higher you are the better the reception? Unless it optimises at a certain height and then gets decreasingly bad from there.
    09-23-11 11:10 AM
    Thanks everyone for their replies. Funny how you get bad reception on the penhouse floor. I'm on the 33rd floor and have signal issues. You would think the higher you are the better the reception? Unless it optimises at a certain height and then gets decreasingly bad from there.
    Would think it'd depend on where the cell "tower" is located. I work on the 24th floor of a downtown building and would barely get reception (every call would drop) on my Rogers Torch. My Rogers 9900 is great and has no reception issues unless I'm in the elevator. At the same time my TELUS 9780 always has perfect reception anywhere in the building...
    bbqkid8 likes this.
    09-23-11 11:35 AM
    It all depends on the area. With my 9700, I receive full bars in the 2nd basement of a parking garage in a condo. But at some houses, there are only 1 or 2 bars.
    09-23-11 11:51 AM
    I don't know what the status is with Telus and UMA but that fixed all my reception problems and saved me a ton of cash when I had signal issues in a previous house I temporarily lived in. I find the 9900 better that the 9700 for signal strength but this is anecdotal.
    09-24-11 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD