Hello Everyone,
    I am just going to say that I am biased towards Blackberry and this review will show why but frankly both phones are nice and each has its own areas where they shine. But, as a BB user that left BB in frustration and now returned I can tell you that I have used both the iPhone, BB Tour, The droid HTC Evo 4G, BB Torch, BB Bold 9930 and now FINALLY I have what I believe is the best phone out there. The BB Bold 9930.

I made four unscientific tests on things that matter to me. Phone, e-mail and messaging, web-browsing, and the camera. I did not bother testing the typing experience or short cuts because BB just wins that hands down nor did I bother going into apps or downloading movies because the iPhone4 wins that hands down. Although, the BB takes great 720p HD video and I've loaded a few movies for my kids (however, I use my old iPhone for my kids to watch movies so they don't get their hands on my BB).

Also, I should point out that the BB is a world phone on VZ and Sprint, which the iPhone is not. Further, the iPhone does not and will not have NFC - which I believe will be huge in the future. Also, it is boringly but critically important the most secure phone out there.

Hope you enjoy the videos and let me know what you think. Carly was nice enough to share her phone and time with us and she just could not believe how awesome the new BB is. I suggest people go and try it for themselves and if they have an open mind and movie downloads is not their priority the BB should have a lot to offer.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uEyCvOyn094?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RjFYASCNed8?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3mWBE6pPQbk?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1YMOfWO8Pdg?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Told you I was biased. However, I just posted this for people considering or now loving their BB Bolds and would love to hear great stories form other Crackberry users.

********* Update ****************

Note: as of today, 15 Nov 2011 the new iPhone 4S has been released and it packs a 1Ghz Dual Core. I have not done a speed test between the Bold and new iP but I saw a speed thest on the web that showed there was a one second gain or two at tops between the 4 and the 4S so it is interesting that in exchange for one second they are facing some issues with their battery drain.
    Honestly, it looks like BB is trailing the iPhone by one second or so on web browsing. To me that is not materially different. However, the battery issue is. Especially since the iPhone can't swap batteries.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...rtner=yahootix

Another reason I am skeptical about joining the iGroup again is that I've seen some corporate behavior that is not to my liking. Although RIM is behind on apps, we eventually get them (unless RIM blocks them for security reasons) and they are fully functional. Apple has started restricting the use of competitor apps by denying them the use of the "buy" button and access to their store fronts from the app. Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Audible.com. This is not about taking care of the customers that trusted them but all about cajoling people to buy from their store. Not cool apple. I am amazed by the fact that the iGroupies are finding ways to justify this. How can taking away functionality from competitors help clients? it doesn't. It helps Apple at the expense of the people that trust them in my view.

http://fiusm.com/2011/02/09/apple-re...-in-app-store/

Also, since the original post another apple vulnerability has been exposed. This matters if you have any personal information or want to do on-line banking.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57...phone-exploit/

As I said, I am biased toward BlackBerry and I think I have good reason to be. Especially since the new OS7 devices are just a huge leap forward in the user experience.

Lastly, I just saw on this blog that BB Traffic with voice navigation is in the Beta zone. I don't know this but if it actually transmits data via BB servers and does not hit our data plans (or battery) like the competitors do (and they already do this for UbiNav) then there is another reason to love the new BB OS7 devices.

In an adverse media environment where people are saying goofy stuff about RIM all I can say is I'm glad I came back and I'm sticking with my BlackBerry and my Playbook. BTW, I have had my PB from day one and love it. Since I don't need a $50.00 data plan to check my e-mail, surf the web or facebook on road trips I think I've saved $300.00 bucks already (vs. 3g tablet) and by January it basically has paid for the tablet 100%. It is no wonder the carriers don't love it. It saves us money at their expense.

Go RIM!!
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-16-11 at 08:26 AM. Reason: working on the video
    menaknow, urbanguy, Chrisy and 2 others like this.
    08-29-11 02:48 PM
    i think the new bold crushes the iphone, but that's just me.
    08-29-11 02:56 PM
    I agree but what I wanted to suggest to readers is not to jump into conclusions but actually try both devices.

The BB also has a battery you can replace, SD card you can swap out-nice because now you can back-up your device to SD card.

I believe that with the new BB will win over any other phone because of battery, e-mail, messaging, phone quality, security, and a very nice UI. However, for video games the HTC Droid's are probably the best and for Downloading movies to you phone apple still rules.

In other areas, such as web-browsing, there is no real advantage now. Both the BB and the iPhone are built well and can take some punishment. The HTC droids are O.K. and the Motorola Droids just... well, I'll keep it nice and suggest people try them all out.

You are the only person that will know which phone is right for you.
    08-29-11 03:10 PM
    I also had an HTC Evo running on droid software and can tell you the battery experience is horrible. I remember taking a vacation. I brought a car charger with me, a wall charger, and a backup battery just to make it through the day. BB's are known for having a good battery life, and you really don't appreciate that until your droid phone is constantly going dead on you and you need to make a call.
    Chrisy likes this.
    08-29-11 03:21 PM
    Majority of the reason androids are so bad on battery life is due to the bigger processor, doing a lot more on it, such ad constantly browsing the net, playing music, watching movies.....also most androids are touch and have those bigger displays which takes a lot of battery power. You can save some if you cut back on some stuff, shutting down certain things, taming the display brightness from a 100% down to 40%.

I own both a bb 9700 and a mytouch4g and no question the bb wins in the battery department. When rocking my Android I do carry around a car charger, wall charger to where I knew I could make it through my day. Now I have to charge twice a day. I generally charge it on way to work, so it is what it is .....

Besides battery life and missing the physical keyboard, I am really liking everything else and how you can really personalize your phone to your liking ad there is virtually an app for everything and almost always free or dirt cheap! Bb's app market was and still is a joke show Compared to Android or iPhone....

Honestly as I said this before, each brand have their pro's and con's.....

I will say I hardly use my 9700 anymore and was one that raved about bb and not needing more....apparently I was wrong. Not the first nor the last I am sure, lol!

Still love my bb and hope for the best for RIM. Never know what the future holds....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Chrisy likes this.
    08-29-11 04:21 PM
    I am in no way an iPhone fan boy. Ive always used a Blackberry. But isn't it a little unfair to compare the brand new 9930 to the year (or more than a year) old iPhone 4? Shouldn't we save the comparing of phones for when the iPhone 5 comes out? If it comes out before the 9900/9930 becomes old tech. Just my 2 cents.
    08-29-11 04:46 PM
    There is no wrong answer. Both are great phones. But one being touch only and one being keyboard makes it different for each person. To me there is no way the 9900 is as good as a iphone 4 because i would never go back to a device with a keyboard. if would be more fair to put the BB 9850/9860 against the I4
    08-29-11 05:30 PM
    There is no wrong answer. Both are great phones. But one being touch only and one being keyboard makes it different for each person. To me there is no way the 9900 is as good as a iphone 4 because i would never go back to a device with a keyboard. if would be more fair to put the BB 9850/9860 against the I4
    The touchscreen keyboard has you spoiled too, eh?

The responsiveness of the iPhone actually has me getting frustrated at other touchscreen-only devices. Their autocorrect isn't as good or the responsiveness.
    08-29-11 05:58 PM
    The touchscreen keyboard has you spoiled too, eh?

The responsiveness of the iPhone actually has me getting frustrated at other touchscreen-only devices. Their autocorrect isn't as good or the responsiveness.
    i havent had a keyboard for the last 5 devices i have owned and wont look back. the iphone is a big cramped i feel but with swype and other great features on the androids i have never felt like that with them
    08-29-11 06:31 PM
    i havent had a keyboard for the last 5 devices i have owned and wont look back. the iphone is a big cramped i feel but with swype and other great features on the androids i have never felt like that with them
    are you using the latest version of Swype? how much better is it? i stopped using Swype around the time the Atrix was released. it annoyed me so much that letters i didn't even come close to touching would appear with words that didn't exist -- almost random letters.
    08-29-11 06:41 PM
    I actually use Flex T9

Nuance - FlexT9: Android - FlexT9 leverages the power of Nuance&rsquo;s proven and trusted speech and predictive text technologies &ndash; across Dragon Dictation, T9 Trace, T9 Write and XT9 solutions.

Has swype, voice, scribble and normal keyboard all in 1. it doesnt have many features but its very accurate with swyping

The actual Swype app didnt do it for me, i have found Ultra keyboard and Flex superior experiences over Swype
    Duvi likes this.
    08-29-11 06:51 PM
    Comparing phones is like comparing cars!

Depending on your personal needs you will choose a different car!

Some boys/girls are even happy without a car!

08-29-11 07:05 PM
    I actually use Flex T9

Nuance - FlexT9: Android - FlexT9 leverages the power of Nuance&rsquo;s proven and trusted speech and predictive text technologies &ndash; across Dragon Dictation, T9 Trace, T9 Write and XT9 solutions.

Has swype, voice, scribble and normal keyboard all in 1. it doesnt have many features but its very accurate with swyping

The actual Swype app didnt do it for me, i have found Ultra keyboard and Flex superior experiences over Swype
    I'm gonna check it out. Thanks man.
    08-29-11 07:18 PM
    I think the iPhone 4 is a slightly better phone. As far as specs go they're about the same but I think the camera and video are better on the iPhone.

All-in-all, I'd say if the hardware was a 10 on the iPhone 4, it would be about an 8.5 on the 9900. If software, in the broad sense, was a 10 on the iPhone, I'd say it's about an 8 on the 9900.

Also, judging picture quality simply by what you see on a phones screen will not yield accurate results. Upload them to a computer and then look at them.
    Duvi likes this.
    08-29-11 07:54 PM
    Love the new 9930...keyboard is a dream. The media functionality on the iPhone4 as well as the wealth of apps on imo kills the BB but to be fair I haven't had time to assess the BB media capabilities with the new processor.

For me it comes down to this- how easily they will sync with my Mac. I use Mac exclusively and run multiple calendars. With iP4 I can sync to my MBP and have a color-coded calendar system that works well. My 9650 never worked well with my Mac and certainly wouldn't sync multiple calendars over in a color coded way.

Does anyone know a way to make the Mac and BB get along and sync multiple calendars in a reliable, non-duplicate generating way? If I could make that happen I'd ditch the iToy.
    09-03-11 02:32 PM
    How is the iPhone better at multimedia than the new BB7 devices? This is something I never understood. Maybe pixel density helps? But really, they can both take similar pictures, play music, make playlists, play videos, take video and stuff all pretty good.

Oh and it is fair to compare the devices even though the iphone4 is over a year old as it is STILL about the same price as a brand new bold 9930. Plus with an SD card, you could make it a 32gb+ other storage for cheaper than the iphone. Price dictates fairness.
    Last edited by chiefbroski; 09-03-11 at 05:10 PM.
    09-03-11 04:51 PM
    How is the iPhone better at multimedia than the new BB7 devices? This is something I never understood. Maybe pixel density helps? But really, they can both take similar pictures, play music, make playlists, play videos, take video and stuff all pretty good.

Oh and it is fair to compare the devices even though the iphone4 is over a year old as it is STILL about the same price as a brand new bold 9930. Plus with an SD card, you could make it a 32gb+ other storage for cheaper than the iphone. Price dictates fairness.
    Yea right, bb isn't anywhere as fluid as the iphone yet, and the price of the iphones are defiantly way cheaper than the 9900/9930 lol but ok

09-03-11 06:29 PM
    Okay now lets compare.. 9900/9930 vs iphone 4s being the 9930 is just a few months older than the 4s this is the real comparison. Bold 9900 is 299 and the bold 9930 is 250 so i believe the fair iphone to compare with the 9900 would be the 32gb for 299.

I would go through this, but come on now if it was a debate with the iphone 4 its a massacre with the 4s... This is why blackberry is going down, was like 26 a share last year and is now like 13.. RIM cant compete with android/apple simply because they really aim towards one market and thats business.. And even then apple has taken that market by storm as well. With the iphone it covers all facets; Gaming, entertainment(tons of FREE apps), business... Iphone does it all. If someone is looking at a $200 16gb iphone 4s and glances at the bold 9930 @$250 they would just laugh.. iphone 4s takes way better pictures, records in 1080p, has the higher pixel density and better display with a res of 640 x 960.. Made of high quality material, no plastic.. Then once you really dig into ios5 its over.. Siri is amazing, amongst other things of course. I really was pulling for blackberry, but i owe nothing to them and have no ties.. Some of you guys out there have to realize when its time to jump ship and not go down with the sucker as if u are CEO or something.. Only thing blackberry 9900 has over other devices now is a gorgeous keyboard.. Doesnt even have the battery life like it used to, the 4s has better battery (ive owned both).

In short lol i believe the blackberry needs more mass appeal, its losing even loyalists such as myself. Hopefully this new deal where they share androids market will launch before its too late...
    Last edited by brandonkahn; 11-16-11 at 12:20 AM.
    11-16-11 12:17 AM
    I my opinion the 9900 is a much, much better phone for me.
    That's my opinion after having both devices and for MY personal preference.

11-16-11 03:01 AM
    I my opinion the 9900 is a much, much better phone for me.
    That's my opinion after having both devices and for MY personal preference.

Having both phones I would say the iphone strengths are: it has a much better camera both in speed and in picture quality, Siri which is actually kind of useful for everyday life, whiter screen, cool looking, wifi hotspot, better google maps rendering and a faster GPS chip.

The Blackberry's strengths are: Email can't be beat in both speed and organization of the email accounts, custom profiles, security, visual AND audible notifications, trackpad, removable battery, micro SD reader, and auto off feature.

I find that there are not a lot of differences when using the browsers on the internet - they both are pretty fast, the iphone has a very slight edge in loading speed and is just a tiny bit more fluid but not a deal breaker, screen sizes are almost the same (with my 9860 or my 9810) so the bottom line is I don't really think one is better than the other - they both have flaws which is why I have so many phones.

EDIT: One other thing that I noticed is the voice quality on any Blackberry is MUCH better than on the 4s

DOUBLE EDIT: I guess I should read more carefully - this post was comparing the iphone to the 9930 & not the 9860 or 9810 but most of my remarks with the exception of the screen size apply to the Bold as well. (I have the 9900 which I believe is the HSPA version of the 9930)
    Last edited by buwee; 11-16-11 at 03:52 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-16-11 03:46 AM
    I prefer my samsung note than iphone4. I need bigger display for browsing(Note) but a smaller one + keyboard 9900 is sufficient for communications. Iphone isnt best at any.

11-16-11 04:53 AM
    Great videos! Thanks so much!
    11-16-11 05:01 AM
    Oh joy... Another BlackBerry vs. iPhone thread.

Honestly, it's about personal preference. I find the iPhone4S better for my needs and wants. Personally, I feel the 4S is pretty close to a perfect device, if there is such a thing. The OS is so fluid and smooth. The retina display is stunning. The phone works with no hang ups, battery pulls, spinning hourglasses, having to load hybrid or leaked OSs, etc. The 4S has been a dream. I love the virtual keyboard and with autocorrect + keyboard shortcuts, it makes typing a breeze. And I've had pretty good battery life from the start, I'd put it on par or even better than my 9800.

The only thing I can give BlackBerry a one up on is it's a damn sturdy phone. The iPhone is so sleek, sexy. I dropped my Torch numerous times, on pavement even, and I never had any screen scratches and just ended up with little dings and scrapes on the side of the phone. I'd be terrified to drop my 4S on pavement and see the result.

I'm not comparing the 4S to the 9900 because I haven't used the 9900. I assume the OP hasn't used the 4S and thus why he compared to the 4 instead.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!
    11-16-11 05:51 AM
    Comparing an iphone 4S with the blackberry bold 9900 is like comparing a rolls royce to a vw jetta, the bold 9900 is a good phone ( very unreliable I will have my 3rd tomorrow in less than 3 weeks ) but in no way it can be compared to an iphone.

How could someone compares a phone that bricks itself in the night, and the only solution is to return it for a new one.

If you chat all day then BBM is a top feature, also mail is very good on the blackberry, but if you need to connect to a windows server with your phone, or you need a better camera, or you like to have the latest apps and games there is no other Phone like the iphone.

Also iphone has a great feature named siri and viewing web pages on an iphone is like viewing tv in black and white in the bold to 3D in the iphone.

I don't use facebook or other things like twitter but I bet that this apps are years away compared to the blackberry versions.

Also the quality from the iphone screen is better than the bold 9900

If you can't have the 2 phones, buy a blackberry bold 9900 and an ipod touch.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-16-11 06:10 AM
    Comparing an iphone 4S with the blackberry bold 9900 is like comparing a rolls royce to a vw jetta, the bold 9900 is a good phone ( very unreliable I will have my 3rd tomorrow in less than 3 weeks ) but in no way it can be compared to an iphone.

How could someone compares a phone that bricks itself in the night, and the only solution is to return it for a new one.

If you chat all day then BBM is a top feature, also mail is very good on the blackberry, but if you need to connect to a windows server with your phone, or you need a better camera, or you like to have the latest apps and games there is no other Phone like the iphone.

Also iphone has a great feature named siri and viewing web pages on an iphone is like viewing tv in black and white in the bold to 3D in the iphone.

I don't use facebook or other things like twitter but I bet that this apps are years away compared to the blackberry versions.

Also the quality from the iphone screen is better than the bold 9900

If you can't have the 2 phones, buy a blackberry bold 9900 and an ipod touch.
    Nice post. I usually hate car comparisons but I know what those cars are! I prefer a VW Jetta any day so I guess it proves your point about preference.

I went away from BlackBerry because I wanted a great browser. Now that my smartphone needs have changed, I'm switching back.

And I love my Subaru Outback. It's my dream car.
    urbanguy likes this.
    11-16-11 06:14 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD