My wife bought a Bold 9930 a few months ago, and our 1 year old decided he wanted to put it into the dishwasher. It was on a rack, so it wasn't submerged in water, but the full cycle ran, including heat dry. The phone was unfortunately on, and when my wife found it, it was vibrating like crazy, but screen not working.

I have placed it in rice for a day, disassembled it, removed the screen and guts, cleaned the corroded contacts, and dried it with a blow dryer. The phone powers on, charges, and seems to receive notifications fine. The keyboard lights up, and screen, to a degree. It seems the backlighting is working, but nothing else.

So, in your opinion, does this sound like a new lcd screen is needed, or is something else internally affecting the screen? I tried making calls, and pressing other buttons, but that does not work. Of course we didn't get insurance. I might order a screen for the of it, because $60 is a of a lot cheaper than purchasing a new phone at full price.
    09-19-12 03:57 PM
    Unfortunately it's probably fried. I would have placed it in a bag of rice without the battery until it was thoroughly dry. Using a blow dryer is never a good idea either. Good luck.
    kopower likes this.
    09-19-12 04:29 PM
    Does it receive phone calls? if its able to receive phone calls.. then i would imagine it should be fine internally. note blackberries are the easiest devices to fix.
    kopower likes this.
    09-19-12 04:34 PM
    Can you see anything on the LCD? if not then its hard to say. If the OS loads properly and it can charge and your computer detects it + it can make and receive calls and you can hear sounds then its probably fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    sputneek and kopower like this.
    09-19-12 05:02 PM
    It receives calls, and you can pick them up. Speaker both ways seems to work. The phone rang, and I was able to hang up the call also. Maybe there is hope after all. I'll probably go ahead and order a screen. Fingers crossed.

Edit* The LCD screen lights up, but with no pictures. I'm hoping the LCD was just damaged by the heat of the dishwasher.
    Last edited by kopower; 09-19-12 at 05:03 PM. Reason: na
    09-19-12 05:02 PM
    I really hate to say this but this is likely an ex-Bold.
    My 9650 has had water dumped on it and it's had several drinks of soda and it's still alive and kicking. Conversely, my ex's 9000 had a tiny bit of coffee drop on it and it died.
    In your case, between the water and the heat, it would be a miracle if it came back to full functionality.
    I'm so sorry this happened to you.
    kopower likes this.
    09-19-12 05:54 PM
    Well, i think you need to replace the screen if all else works fine.
    kopower likes this.
    09-19-12 05:57 PM
    Thanks for the replies everybody. We'll see if a new screen does the trick. Not too disappointed as we just used our credit card points for a $250 visa card, so at least it's not coming straight out of our wallet. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Gonna order a screen from Amazon, unless anybody else has a reputable site they could recommend.
    09-19-12 06:53 PM
    while your at it why not look around for a used one in the want to buy/want to sell section of this site http://forums.crackberry.com/marketplace-f14/
    kopower likes this.
    09-19-12 08:53 PM
    Could knock yourself out and try it out the luck.
    Should check for the LCD serial number and match it with the one you are going to buy.
    But since the LCD screen is pretty expensive and it could be a hit or miss, you could consider to look for a used 9900 to be safe.
    09-19-12 09:13 PM
    while your at it why not look around for a used one in the want to buy/want to sell section of this site http://forums.crackberry.com/marketplace-f14/
    Thanks. I'll check it out.
    09-19-12 10:20 PM
    Did you buy the bold with a credit card? Some credit cards will cover damage like this.

Worth a shot to call them up and ask.
    kopower likes this.
    09-19-12 10:35 PM
    Did you buy the bold with a credit card? Some credit cards will cover damage like this.

Worth a shot to call them up and ask.

We did. I'll have to look into that. Thanks
    09-20-12 09:37 AM
    I'd keep it the way it is. That phone is gangsta. What other phone could live through that? Lol those are its battle wounds
    GiovanniArmani.GA likes this.
    09-20-12 01:17 PM
    I'd keep it the way it is. That phone is gangsta. What other phone could live through that? Lol those are its battle wounds
    No kidding. I couldn't believe it powered on, and starting receiving notifications. I told my wife if that were my HTC Rezound, it would have been toast for sure. When my wife purchased her Bold, I was a little jealous. My first smartphone was the Curve 8330, and I loved it. My HTC is terrible at receiving email, and I miss how the Blackberry is so solid at getting instant notifications. Maybe when the new one comes out, I might switch back.
    Last edited by kopower; 09-20-12 at 03:59 PM. Reason: na
    09-20-12 03:49 PM
    I'll bet cha Suri wouldn't come back on after being Cascaded.....
    kopower likes this.
    09-21-12 11:55 AM
    You can't just assume its the LCD, it could be the connectors on the motherboard or other small transistors.

Best way to check is if you had another 9900 to just swap screens with. Because the motherboard could be worth at least 150 usd if its fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-21-12 01:05 PM
    like one of the others said I can't believe it turned on. Your phone went thru he??. If you get it restored and I hope you do, post back and let us all know ur BB stood the test.
    09-21-12 03:27 PM
    At least this wasn't another "my phone fell in the toilet" thread.
    GiovanniArmani.GA likes this.
    09-21-12 04:38 PM
    like one of the others said I can't believe it turned on. Your phone went thru he??. If you get it restored and I hope you do, post back and let us all know ur BB stood the test.
    Yeah, my wife has been using it today, making calls and such. Screen still doesn't work, but it still receives notifications, and can take pictures. Flash also seems to still work too. I'm really hoping it's just the screen that needs replacing. It was shipped out yesterday, so we probably won't get it until Monday.
    09-21-12 10:06 PM
    This actually sounds pretty cool, I'd leave it the way it is and use it as a conversation piece Not many people could say my phone was run through the dishwasher

If you do want just the screen there are some reputable ones on Amazon, which is what I would have recommended like you had mentioned.

Best of Luck though with your decisions!
    09-21-12 10:17 PM
    I received the new screen earlier today, put it together, and..........Success!! Well, kind of. First off, it definitely was the screen that was bad. The new one lit up, with full functionality. All of my wife's alerts were there, and it's smooth as ever.

I am having one problem though. The in call speaker does not seem to work. I have went through the settings, and made sure the in call volume is up, mute off, etc. The person on the other line can hear me, but I can't hear them, unless the speakerphone is on. As soon as I turn it off, I can't hear the person on the other line. I have done a battery pull, with no luck. She does not have any extra apps installed on the phone either, that could be messing things up. The speaker on the damaged lcd worked fine. Any suggestions on what it could be, besides a faulty speaker one the new screen? I'm gonna take it apart again just for the of it, and see if a connector wasn't fully pushed in.
    09-24-12 07:44 PM
    Well, still haven't figured it out. I uninstalled, then reinstalled the new screen, and I still can't hear a person on the other line, without turning the speaker on. The headset feature works when I plug in headphones. I've tried turning bluetooth on and off, and all other settings. There was an update to the os that I loaded, but that didn't work. I even switched out the new screen with the damaged one, and the speaker works fine on the damaged one. I'm thinking I may have gotten a defective speaker with screen.
    09-25-12 07:59 AM
    You should have gotten one for your little girl then she wouldn't have had to destroy yours.
    Happy Wife + Happy Daughter = Happy Life

Sorry about your loss dude
    09-25-12 08:11 AM
    You should have gotten one for your little girl then she wouldn't have had to destroy yours.
    Happy Wife + Happy Daughter = Happy Life

Sorry about your loss dude
    We have an old Storm laying around, but of course my little guy won't be caught dead playing with "old" technology. We give it to him, he throws it down and wants to use ours. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
    09-25-12 08:53 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD