Does anyone know what the red constantly blinking "light" is that is located next to the actual Notification LED?

Thanks
    09-04-11 04:50 PM
    Its the Proximity sensor, It flashes a dim red when on a phone call. Its there so it knows when to turn the screen off when the phone is up to your face so your not pressing anything on screen. The track pad also flashes a dim red after just being touched. If I answered your question click the Thanks button!
    fdisnyc, Hi Tek and wtc88c like this.
    09-04-11 04:55 PM
    I've never noticed the trackpad flashing red.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-11 05:06 PM

I didnt notice it until I was in a dark room and only at a certain angle and you have to hold your finger over the trackpad swiping for a few seconds while covering the whole trackpad. Youll notice it if you look. Its in the lower Left hand corner of the trackpad more near the middle than the edge of the trackpad. I do believe it is dimmer than the proximity sensor so its understandable that you missed it. But its there. Now that Ive trained my eye to see it, I can see it in the light too.
    09-04-11 05:12 PM
    I didnt notice it until I was in a dark room and only at a certain angle and you have to hold your finger over the trackpad swiping for a few seconds while covering the whole trackpad. Youll notice it if you look. Its in the lower Left hand corner of the trackpad more near the middle than the edge of the trackpad. I do believe it is dimmer than the proximity sensor so its understandable that you missed it. But its there. Now that Ive trained my eye to see it, I can see it in the light too.
    if you use a camera you can see it much clearer
    09-04-11 07:09 PM
    Never noticed the trackpad light changing color, and still don't see it.

Usually a flashing red LED "near" the notification LED would indicate a new message of some sort. The 9930 has only one notification LED that is multi-colored. Red for a new message (SMS, MMS, email, PIN, BBM, etc), blue for bluetooth connectivity, green for wireless connectivity.

But, if y'all see something else other than the norm BB notification colors, don't know what to tell ya.

09-04-11 07:32 PM

Usually a flashing red LED "near" the notification LED would indicate a new message of some sort. The 9930 has only one notification LED that is multi-colored. Red for a new message (SMS, MMS, email, PIN, BBM, etc), blue for bluetooth connectivity, green for wireless connectivity.

But, if y'all see something else other than the norm BB notification colors, don't know what to tell ya.

Go to a dark room, and try calling someone. There's a rapidly blinking led next to the notification led.
    09-05-11 05:53 AM

That is because it does not. They are talking about a very small light next to the notification LED near the top of the phone!

if you use a camera you can see it much clearer
    Most digital cameras are sensitive to IR light. If you look at the end of your TV remove via you camera on your phone or other digital camera you can see the IR light flash when you push a button on the remote.

The BB is using the same IR light on a sesor to tell the phone when it is against your face.

LOL! I love it when people are so positive about things and they are wrong. Go into a dark closet and look carefully at the area near the notification LED. BEHOLD!
    09-05-11 06:09 AM
    Mine also flick red light a lot, but when I restart the 9900 its gone, any ideas why?

See attachment, the second on the left of the LED
    09-05-11 06:28 AM
    Mine also flick red light a lot, but when I restart the 9900 its gone, any ideas why?

See attachment, the second on the left of the LED
    Did you read the thread reply just above yours!
    09-05-11 06:36 AM
    I've seen the trackpad red as well in the dark. The red light is there!
    Last edited by saadqasim; 09-05-11 at 09:04 AM.
    09-05-11 07:57 AM
    Did you read the thread reply just above yours!
    Quite clearly he didnt...really annoys me when people dont read a thread before asking the same question again :/
    09-05-11 10:34 AM
    That is because it does not. They are talking about a very small light next to the notification LED near the top of the phone!

Most digital cameras are sensitive to IR light. If you look at the end of your TV remove via you camera on your phone or other digital camera you can see the IR light flash when you push a button on the remote.

The BB is using the same IR light on a sesor to tell the phone when it is against your face.

LOL! I love it when people are so positive about things and they are wrong. Go into a dark closet and look carefully at the area near the notification LED. BEHOLD!
    Speaking of which, you are wrong and are the ONLY one here that is. Trackpad works on infra red LED's and does indeed emit visible light, as does the prox sensor. Go into that same dark closet you refer to and see for yourself...than maybe consider locking yourself in there.
    irkan and tomgnc like this.
    09-05-11 10:36 AM
    w**d saved my life. i saw the trackpad blinking red 2 weeks ago when i got the phone and was in the studio undoubtedly staring at my trackpad as if a creature was coming alive. the trackpad is "optical." ever look at the underside of an "optical" mouse?
    09-05-11 11:11 AM

Actually Yes the trackpad does flash a dim red, its not the whole trackpad but a very small light. Go to a dark room and check it out. I promise im not lying, I have no reason to.
    09-05-11 11:20 AM
    I am also seeing the dim red blinking light. I understand that its a proximity sensor when the phone is ON, but even when i turn it off its still blinking. why is this?
    09-05-11 02:20 PM
    I am also seeing the dim red blinking light. I understand that its a proximity sensor when the phone is ON, but even when i turn it off its still blinking. why is this?
    I'm seeing this as well... Very strange

09-07-11 05:29 PM
    I just a Nikon D70 to take an extended-duration photo of my 9930. It shows the light in the track pad but I couldn't get the prox sensor to illuminate. I tried waving my hand all around the front but to no avail.

Anyhow, I've attached a photo of the light in the trackpad for those interested.

-----

I've added a photo of the (elusive to me) top light here just to put these two side-by-side.
    Last edited by bull_thumper; 09-07-11 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added second photo.
    Hi Tek and irkan like this.
    09-07-11 06:21 PM
    Its the Proximity sensor, It flashes a dim red when on a phone call. Its there so it knows when to turn the screen off when the phone is up to your face so your not pressing anything on screen. The track pad also flashes a dim red after just being touched. If I answered your question click the Thanks button!
    Not that this thing matters, but the curiosity is there. The attachment is an overexposed an image and one can clearly see the proximity LED position.
    09-07-11 08:22 PM
    All right, captured that light on camera. In a dark room, it doesn't want to come on, so I used a flash light to trigger it.

I would've added this to another post to combine both images, but that will have to wait until I've learned this board better.

Cheerios!
    irkan likes this.
    09-07-11 08:42 PM
    Sorry, I don't spend a lot of time in dark closets. When I do spend time in dark places, playing with a phone is not a high priority . Not to mention that my girlfriend would wonder "What the f@<� are you doing?"
    09-07-11 08:51 PM
    Sorry, I don't spend a lot of time in dark closets. When I do spend time in dark places, playing with a phone is not a high priority . Not to mention that my girlfriend would wonder "What the f@<� are you doing?"
    I get that question a lot. (Maybe too much.)
    09-07-11 08:56 PM
    I'm seeing this as well... Very strange

I'm on .353 my 9900 also behaving like this. No phone calls, just standby but the proximity light always on. The only way to turn it off is by battery pull. I can't seems to replicate the problems though, as it happens randomly. No wonder my phones sometimes is very hot even when idle, and also the battery is drained supper fast.
    . WTF.
    Definatelly that's not hardware issues. More like software issues to me.
    C'mon RIM, please release the "mature" OS before releasing the phone to the public!
    I'm getting more frustated each day....

10-16-11 05:27 AM
    I'm on .353 my 9900 also behaving like this. No phone calls, just standby but the proximity light always on. The only way to turn it off is by battery pull. I can't seems to replicate the problems though, as it happens randomly. No wonder my phones sometimes is very hot even when idle, and also the battery is drained supper fast.
    . WTF.
    Definatelly that's not hardware issues. More like software issues to me.
    C'mon RIM, please release the "mature" OS before releasing the phone to the public!
    I'm getting more frustated each day....

Same thing is happening to me. Started recently. My phone will be simply idling and the light just keeps flashing (not the LED one, but the little one to its left that we've been discussing).

Importantly, While doing some app updates, i had to restart alot and i started to see a pattern: when the red light was constantly blinking, my battery would drain extremely fast ... As in from 75% to red in only a matter of hours... While idling! Next I took note that when the proximity light worked as intended and only came on during phone calls, my battery will last a day or two.

Anyway, pulling the battery will fix it, but I'm wondering if RIM is addressing this. Otherwise I may exchange it while still under warranty.... Just in case it's the hardware's fault.

Id be most grateful to learn what anyone else has learned (perhaps even from tech. Support) about the misbehaving proximity light issue.
    03-02-12 10:22 PM
    I had this issue on OS7.0 as soon as I upgraded too 7.1 it stopped.
    03-03-12 10:31 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD