For the past week or so I've been having a problem with my Bold 9930. The battery can be fully charged but as soon as I use my camera, I can take maybe 5 pictures and the battery drains to zero and the phone shuts off. I put it on the charger and it immediately goes back up to 50% or higher. The other day it drained from 100% to 1% and stayed at 1% for about 5 hours before completely draining and shutting off. I have used the battery analyzer but I really don't understand the results. The graphs show the battery fully charged then bottoming out then charged again when I plug it in. I have checked and nothing seems to be running in the background but maybe there is I can't see it. I have never had a blackberry battery do this.
    03-31-13 07:44 AM
    For the past week or so I've been having a problem with my Bold 9930. The battery can be fully charged but as soon as I use my camera, I can take maybe 5 pictures and the battery drains to zero and the phone shuts off. I put it on the charger and it immediately goes back up to 50% or higher. The other day it drained from 100% to 1% and stayed at 1% for about 5 hours before completely draining and shutting off. I have used the battery analyzer but I really don't understand the results. The graphs show the battery fully charged then bottoming out then charged again when I plug it in. I have checked and nothing seems to be running in the background but maybe there is I can't see it. I have never had a blackberry battery do this.
    what OS is your phone on ? how old is your battery ?
    03-31-13 07:59 AM
    How old is your battery? Whats the datecode on the back? I bet its over a year old.

Sounds like a classic li-ion failure to me. Get a new authentic battery. This can happen with any Li-ion battery, they all come out of the same factories regardless of the branding and some will last longer than others. Li-ion tech is awesome, but very volitile and substantially degrades after 9-12 months, it's just luck if it makes it to 2 years without really dying.
    Mom2One, tryfe and DarlinNikki86 like this.
    03-31-13 08:01 AM
    How old is your battery? Whats the datecode on the back? I bet its over a year old.

Sounds like a classic li-ion failure to me. Get a new authentic battery. This can happen with any Li-ion battery, they all come out of the same factories regardless of the branding and some will last longer than others. Li-ion tech is awesome, but very volitile and substantially degrades after 9-12 months, it's just luck if it makes it to 2 years without really dying.
    It's the original battery that came in my Bold 9930 when I bought it. The code is DC110714 so 7-14-11. Makes sense because I bought the phone from Verizon the week it was released (Sept. 2011). It shocked me because I had my old Curve for 2.5 years it wasn't until the last couple of months I had it that the battery wouldn't hold a charge. Even then it didn't drain like this one does. I am running OS 7.1.0 bundle 2123 - the most recent update from Verizon.
    03-31-13 06:53 PM
    what OS is your phone on ? how old is your battery ?
    Info is in the post below...
    03-31-13 06:53 PM
    So you might need a new battery or there is an app that is draining your battery like crazy. Have you installed Application resource monitor or use Blackberry Device Analyzer?
    Mom2One likes this.
    04-01-13 04:56 PM
    So you might need a new battery or there is an app that is draining your battery like crazy. Have you installed Application resource monitor or use Blackberry Device Analyzer?
    I have and make sure all of my apps are closed and I when I hold the BB key, it just shows the 5 normal functions running. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Q-10 but this needs to last me a few more mos. until I can upgrade so I guess I'll be buying a new battery.

Thanks for the help!
    04-02-13 11:13 AM
    I have and make sure all of my apps are closed and I when I hold the BB key, it just shows the 5 normal functions running. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Q-10 but this needs to last me a few more mos. until I can upgrade so I guess I'll be buying a new battery.

Thanks for the help!
    New Genuine Batteries are dirt cheap on Amazon (at least they are in the UK) so you really have little to lose by trying a new one.

If you still have the same issues with the new battery maybe a wipe and reload of the OS with a fresh install of your Apps may be the next thing to try.

BlackBerry 302: A complete wipe and clean install of your BlackBerry OS | CrackBerry.com
    Mom2One likes this.
    04-02-13 11:20 AM
    So do I

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-02-13 11:25 AM
    New Genuine Batteries are dirt cheap on Amazon (at least they are in the UK) so you really have little to lose by trying a new one.

If you still have the same issues with the new battery maybe a wipe and reload of the OS with a fresh install of your Apps may be the next thing to try.

BlackBerry 302: A complete wipe and clean install of your BlackBerry OS | CrackBerry.com
    That was going to be my next question! I saw several listed on amazon around $11 and the listings say they come in retail packaging. Verizon, of course, sells them for $40 and the crackberry store has them for $25. They all look the same and just the like the one in my 9930 now but I wasn't sure if the ones from amazon were legit for that price. There are some selling for around $6 and from the reviews on those, they are clearly not authentic but the ones I saw for $11 seemed to be authentic.
    04-02-13 10:55 PM
    Hi. im currently using bold 9900 on os 7.1.0.585
    there are two issues i wanna discuss. First, i want to ask about the correct charging method of this phone, should i charge when phone battery indicator gets yellow or charge whenever i want no matter what the battery indicator is. Secondly my battery drains upto 12-15% overnight even though i close all the apps apart from the normal 5 apps, i want help regarding this issue,
    04-03-13 02:05 AM
    Hi. im currently using bold 9900 on os 7.1.0.585
    there are two issues i wanna discuss. First, i want to ask about the correct charging method of this phone, should i charge when phone battery indicator gets yellow or charge whenever i want no matter what the battery indicator is. Secondly my battery drains upto 12-15% overnight even though i close all the apps apart from the normal 5 apps, i want help regarding this issue,
    Just read the vendor info in detail, it should be clear if the battery for sale is "genuine" from the product description.

Happy shopping !
    Mom2One likes this.
    04-03-13 02:34 AM
    Yes it is genuine, i just wanna know the correct charging method
    04-03-13 02:47 AM
    Yes it is genuine, i just wanna know the correct charging method
    I believe Legal Eagle was responding to my post but quoted your post! I usually plug mine up when it gets to the yellow if I know I am going to need to use it soon but I also regularly (before this battery issue started) let it drain all the way down until the phone shuts off and then do a full charge.
    04-03-13 12:06 PM
    So does your battery drain more quickly if you charge it when it gets yellow or charge whenever you feel like?
    04-04-13 05:48 AM
    So does your battery drain more quickly if you charge it when it gets yellow or charge whenever you feel like?
    Before my battery problems, I really never noticed in a difference in how fast it drained either way. To me, it drained about the same rate whether I charged it when it was drained totally or at yellow.
    04-04-13 09:13 AM
    Im dealing with the same issue. Did you get your new battery yet?
    04-04-13 10:56 AM
    Im dealing with the same issue. Did you get your new battery yet?
    I got it yesterday and my 9930 is working like it just came out of the box! It was the battery causing all of the problems. I ordered it from amazon and paid about $16 for it. I have amazon prime so I got free 2 day shipping but I got it in one day. I'm getting great battery life now!
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    04-05-13 08:13 AM
    I got it yesterday and my 9930 is working like it just came out of the box! It was the battery causing all of the problems. I ordered it from amazon and paid about $16 for it. I have amazon prime so I got free 2 day shipping but I got it in one day. I'm getting great battery life now!
    Great to hear that your problem has been solved.

Get back to enjoying your 9930 now !!!
    Mom2One likes this.
    04-05-13 12:10 PM
    I recently had the same problem. I went from 15 hrs to barely making 5.

I thought it was my battery too (had it since Oct. 2011), but noticed I didn't have those problems before I installed a new theme (Ten Point Seven).

Even though that theme has no live updates, once i removed it, my battery went back to normal
    04-05-13 12:48 PM
    Great! I am happy your problem is solved.

I wish phone companies would put a little piece of paper in the box telling users that LI-Ion batteries lose ~5% of their remaining charge each month with regular usage and that after ~300 cycles they are basically toast anyway and advise them to replace them yearly. It really is reletively unknown how quick and unpredictably these batteries can loose their capacity. Companies like apple know this and their devices (phones, ipods, ect), like any LI-ion powered devices, fail so users will buy a new one every ~18 months like clockwork, since the VAST majority of users dont know how to replace a battery in an iphone. It's like buying a car that nobody in your town can change the oil in, and when you do change it you either void the warrenty or have to pay a ton of money and not have your car for 2 weeks. BB is great in this regard, we are lucky.

Enjoy your new battery. Amazing what $10 can do.
    Mom2One likes this.
    04-05-13 07:26 PM
    I recently had the same problem. I went from 15 hrs to barely making 5.

I thought it was my battery too (had it since Oct. 2011), but noticed I didn't have those problems before I installed a new theme (Ten Point Seven).

Even though that theme has no live updates, once i removed it, my battery went back to normal
    Get a new one and i can say with near 100% certainty your battery life will improve by another 50%. It's simple chemistry and physics. Impossible for it not to have degraded by over 50% by now.
    04-05-13 07:29 PM
    Got my battery today and everything went back to normal. I cradle my BlackBerry now lol. I got mines from Ebay and the battery is brand new for 8.49.
    Legal Eagle and Mom2One like this.
    04-05-13 07:45 PM