Forward to my previous question. My bold 9900 is missing it's display and keybaord. I have ordered another bold 9900 with lcd and keyboard in great condition on it but it doesn't work. It is currently coming. So here is the problem with my bold 9900.
    It was running great on OS7.1 but then I needed to downgrade to OS7. I did it successfully, then selected to upgrade to OS 7.1.1098 (O2UK version). It did everything OK until "Reconnecting to JVM". It got stuck there... The device was boot looping the red LED. I tried other official version using BlackBerry Desktop Software, but everything was the same. Then I tried the 7.0, and it worked! I tried upgrading again and it got stuck again at "Reconnecting to JVM". Used 7.0 autoloader and it worked too. I think this is because maybe OS 7.1 has more security checks like LCD and keyboard, which are missing in my option. Can someone help me before the parts come and I check? They should be in my hands between 11/22/2019 and 11/26/2019.
    11-18-19 10:13 AM
    Have to wonder... why not get a whole working 9900? I can't imagine one for parts was really all that much cheaper than $25 (US on Ebay).
    11-19-19 10:05 AM
    I wondered the same thing but just figured OP had reasons. The satisfaction of assembling things yourself might only enjoy full appreciation by true enthusiasts. Lol.

I'm old enough to recall when high school boys who paid more than $10 for a car, and got it running in less than 3 weeks, were considered lazy, wasteful, afraid to learn, etc, etc... Lol.

Of course those were the days when nearly every hood was up after school let out... Girl friends always had finger nail files handy... For filing points... Few of the girls ever really used them on finger nails... Especially after darkened on a set of ignition points! Lol. Girls always seemed careful to produce a clean file... One darkened on another boy's points might've been "contaminated"... Lmao... Lol. One "home economics" teacher kept girls supplied in fresh files. Lol. Ah the good old days...

All part of a culture embracing a technology those youth would interact with their entire life. 9900's are pretty cheap & easy phones to "toy" with as a learning experience. Sort of "mouse motor" easy & cheap, these days.
    11-19-19 02:10 PM
    @OP, have you considered a "wipe" & build from scratch?
    11-19-19 02:31 PM
    I wondered the same thing but just figured OP had reasons. The satisfaction of assembling things yourself might only enjoy full appreciation by true enthusiasts. Lol.

I'm old enough to recall when high school boys who paid more than $10 for a car, and got it running in less than 3 weeks, were considered lazy, wasteful, afraid to learn, etc, etc... Lol.

Of course those were the days when nearly every hood was up after school let out... Girl friends always had finger nail files handy... For filing points... Few of the girls ever really used them on finger nails... Especially after darkened on a set of ignition points! Lol. Girls always seemed careful to produce a clean file... One darkened on another boy's points might've been "contaminated"... Lmao... Lol. One "home economics" teacher kept girls supplied in fresh files. Lol. Ah the good old days...

All part of a culture embracing a technology those youth would interact with their entire life. 9900's are pretty cheap & easy phones to "toy" with as a learning experience. Sort of "mouse motor" easy & cheap, these days.
    I'm all for it, my first car had enough room you could crawl from under the car out the hood.... I changed most everything other than the block and pistons on that thing. Spent a small fortune doing it, that I never made back when I sold it. But then an old car with no AC isn't worth much in Florida...
    I think what he's trying to do is load 7.1 without a display or keyboard and wonders if some "check" is what is preventing it - I really don't know. Worst case he waits till the parts come in and then sees if there is an issue after they have been installed.
    11-19-19 02:40 PM
    I'm all for it, my first car had enough room you could crawl from under the car out the hood.... I changed most everything other than the block and pistons on that thing. Spent a small fortune doing it, that I never made back when I sold it. But then an old car with no AC isn't worth much in Florida...
    I think what he's trying to do is load 7.1 without a display or keyboard and wonders if some "check" is what is preventing it - I really don't know. Worst case he waits till the parts come in and then sees if there is an issue after they have been installed.
    Ah yes... watch out for that ONE vacuum hose while crawling thru... lol. Nothing new about consumer gullibility for gargantuanism, either. I recall reading that a late 60's Impala cost less to manufacture than a compact Corvair. Yet the larger car commanded higher prices... despite the Corvair's vast leap in technology. sound familiar? Lol. (Don't get me started on Nader... lol)

Thing about the work & $ you put into that gargantuan car is the education it provided. How to place value on that? I'd bet troubleshooting skills from those experiences have become second nature to quite a lot of your life, since... including mobile technology... ?? it's one characteristic I look for when interviewing...

The more I think about it, the more curious I get about why operate a Bold without a screen or KB...??? KB's the best thing about 9900! lol. if that's really the case? curious to hear whats doing there... inquiring minds, ya kno... lol.
    11-19-19 03:35 PM