Hello

I have stumbled upon something after trying to fix a white bold 9900's weak wifi signal for weeks. I tried several os reloads but nothing would work, so I took the phone apart and found that the WIFI ANTENNA STICKER Was not properly adhered to the back housing and it was also not properly aligned so that the two copper pieces did not connect properly when the phone was assembled.

I removed it by peeling it back very carefully and then adhered it back to the proper spot, which is indicated by two little points that the tape has to fit over.

After I re-assembled the phone it had full five bars of Wifi where before it had 1 bar or no connectivity.

Worth a try for you, be very carefull
    Also this will VOID your warranty so use it as a last resort; I don't have any warranty so I take all my phones apart its very easy

Here is a photo of what im talking about!
    Attached Thumbnails Bold 9900 Wifi signal Find/Fix Hardware :)-bbbrp-3995.jpg  
    10-24-12 02:27 PM
    If I were brave, I would try (since my wifi signal is poor). But alas am not. LOL
    10-24-12 02:30 PM
    Nice find!

I won't do it until my warranty expires, though.

Thanks.
    10-24-12 02:51 PM
    Yea I wouldn't either however for those without warranty and wifi issue its a great fix, im not sure why the sticker would be in this condition lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-24-12 05:54 PM
    Its actually quite easy and only requires taking it apart and re-adjusting the wifi antenna sticker; so it should help out alot of people with weak wifi!
    10-25-12 11:51 AM
    Wow. Many thanks!.

I am a berry man and have had a few handsets. I loved the 9700 and then the 9900 came along . My wifi was as good as the 9700 until a few days ago when i upgraded to the 7.1 2061 bundle. I noticed that my wifi was pants, with only 3 bars if in the room (4 bars if next to the router) and if outside the room i didnt have any wifi.

I read quite a few forums and loads of people complaining about the 9900 wifi signal. I assumed it was the latest firmware and rolled it back. Unfortunately, the signal when i rolled it back was rubbish and then i came across this post. A life saver.

I have taken my berry apart before (all you need is a few screwdrivers that you can find on amazon for peanuts and a youtube video) . I took it apart today and to my surprise, the wifi antenna was misaligned and therefore the 2 contacts did not connect properly. I recall dropping my phone before all this happened and as soon as I aligned them properly and put it back together (took me 5 min), i had 4 bars of wifi outside the room!.

I suspect that some new 9900 have the antenna misaligned from factory hence why some people complains about the wifi signal from the start and some other like myself have the issue when the sticker antenna moves. The 9900 wifi is AS GOOD AS the 9700 if the antenna is properly aligned so that the copper contacts work.

Many thanks

Hope it helps
    10-28-12 12:52 PM
    Great find inthemix9, thanks a bunch!!. I've been having wifi issues for the past few weeks and I had thought my antenna / wifi module was on the fritz until I found this thread.

The fix is fairly easy and it only took about 10 minutes. The antenna circuit / sticker had shifted up and towards the outer edge of the case and had a week connection point. I shifted it down and wifi signal is back to normal.
    10-28-12 04:56 PM
    How fragile are the parts required to remove? I just watched a couple videos on taking apart the phone, and, as somebody with absolutely no experience taking apart a phone, I'm a little worried haha. Though I'm very tempted as my wifi signal is always abysmal....

Also, would a tiny flathead/knife work as a "prying" tool? Or is that just a bad idea?
    10-28-12 11:37 PM
    Yeah I destroyed my Tour by just replacing the trackball in it. Working aok other than a sticky and worn trackball. I watched the online vids, ordered the #6 Torx screwdriver and replacement trackball, etc. I was very careful taking it apart. No issues. Re-assembled it with the new trackball and it never worked again. Wouldn't even power up. Screen would light and then go dark.

Good job on this though. It would certainly explain why some people have WiFi issues and others none. I wonder if there is not a similar issue in the PlayBook build.
    10-28-12 11:42 PM
    I love you, friend! I do remember my phone getting a super weak signal after my wife dropped it... It was the same day I updated to 7.1 and just decided to blame it without further inspection. Getting new magnetic torx screwdrivers tomorrow and fixing my bold ASAP!
    southlander likes this.
    10-29-12 12:25 AM
    How fragile are the parts required to remove? I just watched a couple videos on taking apart the phone, and, as somebody with absolutely no experience taking apart a phone, I'm a little worried haha. Though I'm very tempted as my wifi signal is always abysmal....

Also, would a tiny flathead/knife work as a "prying" tool? Or is that just a bad idea?
    The 9900's parts are not as fragile! Its a pretty though phone, just dont toss them around! As for the prying tool, you dont really need it in this procedure I use a flat screwdriver.
    10-29-12 12:30 AM
    Yes its a very easy fix, who knows why the sticker becomes lose/un aligned but it is very easy to fix if you know how to take apart the 9900 I am glad it helped a few out!

deezy87 likes this.
    10-29-12 12:55 AM
    Yes its a very easy fix, who knows why the sticker becomes lose/un aligned but it is very easy to fix if you know how to take apart the 9900 I am glad it helped a few out!

I used a very thin knife to get under the sticker slowly, and very slowly/carefully un peeled it then pressed it back into spot. It basically has to hug the edge, and there are two little holes that have to sit into two plastic spikes very tiny!

10-29-12 12:57 AM
    I think from now on any weak signal should warrant inspection of the 3 antenna stickers. Especially if the device has been dropped as it could cause the sticker to un peel.

Happy it helped you guys out enjoy!

10-29-12 01:06 AM
    I used a very thin knife to get under the sticker slowly, and very slowly/carefully un peeled it then pressed it back into spot. It basically has to hug the edge, and there are two little holes that have to sit into two plastic spikes very tiny!

This part really concerns me haha I hate taking apart electronics and fiddling with them. Taking apart my phone is already worrisome, prying apart the antenna from the chip and moving it around is a completely different thing lol. Knowing my luck, I'll have no wifi capability after attempting this.

Very nice find though. I'm literally 1 room below my router (and a couple meters to the right) and I get 1 bar, if anything down here....so disappointing for a $500 phone.
    fahar likes this.
    10-29-12 10:43 AM
    This part really concerns me haha I hate taking apart electronics and fiddling with them. Taking apart my phone is already worrisome, prying apart the antenna from the chip and moving it around is a completely different thing lol. Knowing my luck, I'll have no wifi capability after attempting this.

Very nice find though. I'm literally 1 room below my router (and a couple meters to the right) and I get 1 bar, if anything down here....so disappointing for a $500 phone.
    Hi, you are not prying anything from any chip, if you look on the picture it is basically a sticker that is just glued to the plastic housing of the phone. There are no other parts involved, its pretty much a piece of tape with copper running through it and an antenna. Its all in one, you are just unpeeling and pressing it back in place. You might be able to just push it over without unpeeling it. In any case it is very easy to fix .
    The only reason im saying be very carefull is because it is just a thin piece of tape and can tear easily so if you do it be slow/careful. The phone I fixed has had 4-5 bars ever since and it always used to have 1 bar or no signal. I guess electric current wasn't traveling through the strip of tape/antenna.
    10-29-12 10:58 AM
    Hi, you are not prying anything from any chip, if you look on the picture it is basically a sticker that is just glued to the plastic housing of the phone. There are no other parts involved, its pretty much a piece of tape with copper running through it and an antenna. Its all in one, you are just unpeeling and pressing it back in place. You might be able to just push it over without unpeeling it. In any case it is very easy to fix .
    The only reason im saying be very carefull is because it is just a thin piece of tape and can tear easily so if you do it be slow/careful. The phone I fixed has had 4-5 bars ever since and it always used to have 1 bar or no signal. I guess electric current wasn't traveling through the strip of tape/antenna.
    I've grown the courage to try this fix; however, I can't seem to get the screws out. Just curious, what kind of screwdriver do I need? The 50 screwdrivers that I do currently have won't do the trick...they just had to use a different screw. I hope I didn't fray the edges of the screw so much that I can't even unscrew it anymore. Thanks
    10-29-12 03:28 PM
    They are specialty screw drivers called Torx, most blackberries use screws from T1 to T6, you can try finding the screwdrivers in your city or buy on ebay or amazon for very cheap.

axis. likes this.
    10-29-12 04:02 PM
    The 9900's first 3 set of screws are T5. Also, refrain from trying with any other screwdriver. It can and will totally damage the screws if you keep forcing them.
    axis. likes this.
    10-29-12 04:26 PM
    Alright, just ordered a set on eBay, though it will probably take a while to get here. Thanks for all the information! I hope I didn't fray the screws too much already.
    10-29-12 04:48 PM
    I never had problems with weak wifi. This is a mobile device.
    10-29-12 07:03 PM
    Your comment is quite unhelpful and nothing more than simply - antagonizing....

If you have nothing positive to say in this thread, then say nothing...or go post your BS elsewhere.

Almost everyone who has WiFi enabled on the 99xx and uses it, has the same issues as the OP did and the OP was very helpful, unlike you...

Mobile device or not, the issues are the same for everyone and there's no reason to assume that because it's a mobile device, it should have crappy WiFi reception, same as it should NOT have crappy mobile reception...
    Last edited by FBA; 10-29-12 at 07:40 PM.
    djjohnson, PJD642 and Nikola Adzic like this.
    10-29-12 07:29 PM
    Yea I have over twenty screwdrivers, the chinese send em every time you buy a part lol.

10-29-12 07:31 PM
    I never had problems with weak wifi. This is a mobile device.
    Some people have had issues and this is probably one of the main reasons why, if the antenna sticker is loose/misaligned there is no electricity flowing through and you get low wifi. You are luck that you don't have weak wifi, but those of us that do this is a nice solution since it doesn't need new parts just adjusting the sticker .

briandoc and sonic7777 like this.
    10-29-12 07:34 PM
    I love you, friend! I do remember my phone getting a super weak signal after my wife dropped it... It was the same day I updated to 7.1 and just decided to blame it without further inspection. Getting new magnetic torx screwdrivers tomorrow and fixing my bold ASAP!
    How did it work out for you?
    11-06-12 11:39 AM
100 123 ...