When I plug my Bold 9900 into my wall charger overnight, the following happens:

1. Lightning bolt appears, unit is charging

2. At some point, 5 or 10 or 20 minutes later, the charging stops, and the plug icon appears. The unit is not fully charged, but seems to think it is.

3. I wake up in the morning, with a Bold that's not charged. Not happy.

I've tried rebooting, etc. What else can I do? Is this happening to others? Any tips on how to fix would be appreciated.

PS - The blackberry charges fine when plugged into a Windows computer, but does the same as above when plugged into my mac.
    Last edited by mrbluehorseshoe; 01-13-12 at 11:43 AM.
    01-13-12 11:36 AM
    When I plug my Bold 9900 into my wall charger overnight, the following happens:

1. Lightning bolt appears, unit is charging

2. At some point, 5 or 10 or 20 minutes later, the charging stops, and the plug icon appears. The unit is not fully charged, but seems to think it is.

3. I wake up in the morning, with a Bold that's not charged. Not happy.

I've tried rebooting, etc. What else can I do? Is this happening to others? Any tips on how to fix would be appreciated.

PS - The blackberry charges fine when plugged into a Windows computer, but does the same as above when plugged into my mac.
    I had the same issue with my playbook charger. It would show the charging icon then drop off after about 10 seconds. Turns out it was a faulty USB connection point on the charger wire. Try a friends unit to make sure but i'm guessing that's the problem. Though it "might" be the USB connection point on the phone but they tend to be more able to withstand rough usage.
    01-13-12 11:48 AM
    I had the same issue with my playbook charger. It would show the charging icon then drop off after about 10 seconds. Turns out it was a faulty USB connection point on the charger wire. Try a friends unit to make sure but i'm guessing that's the problem. Though it "might" be the USB connection point on the phone but they tend to be more able to withstand rough usage.
    I have tried a different wall charger, and the same thing happens...Possible it's a software problem?
    01-13-12 11:50 AM
    I have tried a different wall charger, and the same thing happens...Possible it's a software problem?
    Yes it could be a software issue but i'm erring on the side of a hardware problem. Now whether it's the phone or the charger well that's the issue i'm thinking. Take a close look at the pins inside the USB housing on the phone. Do they look corroded or bent? Perhaps dirty? That plastic inner tongue that supports the metal contacts can take a real beating when we use it so much. My 9300 looks like a war zone at that area.

If you have the time back up the phone and using Desktop Manager reload the OS. This should be your last resort. Though backing up the phone should be done every week or more if possible.
    01-13-12 12:05 PM
    It's worth the money to get a charging pod..
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    01-13-12 12:09 PM
    Get a new charger, new battery and reload the OS.
    01-13-12 12:10 PM
    All this is releated to the bricking issue.

Maybe you have a defective phone. If you have warranty go and replace it.
    01-13-12 01:05 PM
    does the charging dock prevent the bricking? for over night charging
    01-13-12 03:53 PM
    All this is releated to the bricking issue.

Maybe you have a defective phone. If you have warranty go and replace it.
    Thanks. I looked at some postings on the bricking issues, but didn't see this come up. How is it related?
    01-14-12 09:49 PM
    Get a new charger, new battery and reload the OS.
    Thanks, maybe I will try to reload the OS. It's charging just fine now on my Mac. The wall charger is the only issue. I've tried two of them, and have the same result with both.
    01-14-12 09:50 PM
    OPs experience seems far better (and different) from the expected Bricking Issue symptoms. At least the BB is chargeable thru a computer port. Bricking issue won't care how you're charging., it'll just be bricked. Also, with the Bricking issue, you don't see anything on the screen, you just get that cycling boot + Red LED .

I'd bank on caution, and pre-emptively replace it regardless.

FYI, charge pods FTW!

I think, since it appears the charge overnight issue/bricking has to do with a low battery, and extended charging, the only way to prevent it from recurring, is to never let your battery deplete beyond a certain point and secondly, not to overcharge beyond full.

Who knows .
    01-15-12 06:52 AM
    I had this problem for the first month & a half that I had my bold and it drove me nuts,
    I tried everything I could and it seems like the problem was fixed after I:

Updated to the newest OS & bought a new wall charger, not a usb and plug, but an all in one connected normal wall charger.
    And I haven't seen the problem since !!!!

01-15-12 06:12 PM
    Maybe the contacts in are dirty in the phone. I'd skip the charging pod because I have one and it sometimes won't charge my phone up all the way or it takes forever even using the pb charger.
    01-15-12 07:45 PM
    I had this problem for the first month & a half that I had my bold and it drove me nuts,
    I tried everything I could and it seems like the problem was fixed after I:

Updated to the newest OS & bought a new wall charger, not a usb and plug, but an all in one connected normal wall charger.
    And I haven't seen the problem since !!!!

I've also had this problem for a while. Updated to 7.1 and use a normal wall charge and don't seem to have the problem. Here's hoping.
    01-15-12 08:43 PM
    Also, before when it did charge before, it would never reach 100%... It would get stuck at 95%
    01-15-12 09:54 PM
    Update - OK, I discovered and solved the problem. It was the USB cord. I hadn't noticed that I was still using the USB cord that came with my Torch 9800. When I switched it out with the cord that came with my Bold 9900 (which I had plugged into my computer), the wall charger worked fine.

Interestingly, the same Torch cord charges just fine when plugged into my computer....
    01-18-12 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD