Hello Crackberry forums,

I'm a current iPhone 4S user that recently switched from the Bold 9700. I was really, really impatient, and upgraded one of the family lines to the 9810, which I liked, but I hated the form factor. I returned that phone for the 9700 for $.01. Then I found another line for the iPhone 4S and bought that.

Now...while I love iPhone 4S, it's just as buggy as BBOS. First off, no Google Talk. WTF? Secondly, AIM sucks ***. Thirdly, iPhone is compulsive-buyer-beware (seriously). I have a third line I could upgrade and swap, which means I'd keep my iPhone 4S as an iPod. The battery life is quite terrible.

The biggest reason(s) for me to head back to Blackberry is the keyboard and how great it was to keep in contact with my girlfriend's family in Venezuela. I find WhatsApp to be "eh" at best.

I obviously have good reasons for going back. I don't find myself using the iPhone's distinctive features more than when I actually needed them on the Bold 9700.

While this is a terrible place to see if a phone is a good phone or not, I have read on the forums of the 9900 having many, many issues, and it's discouraging. I was bat-**** insane for the 9900 before I made the leap, but self-bricking phones, even worse battery life, and other issues seem to be far, far too common on these forums.

I want someone here to convince me otherwise. Perhaps with personal experience that it at least works well for some.
    11-25-11 08:18 AM
    If you had the 9700 you will be getting almost the exact same phone with the 9900 so you do the comparison yourself. The difference is the form factor and touchscreen. Other than that its about the same.
    11-25-11 08:21 AM
    If you had the 9700 you will be getting almost the exact same phone with the 9900 so you do the comparison yourself. The difference is the form factor and touchscreen. Other than that its about the same.
    I do know that OS7.0 was pretty damn awesome on the Torch 9810 that I had, but I couldn't get past the form factor and huge icons.

I find myself dreaming of the small icons/text on the BB9900/9700 that I can't get on the iPhone. Everything is...huge...on the iPhone. Chat bubbles are fugly.

Not to mention that PUSH tech on iPhone sucks.
    11-25-11 08:23 AM
    I'm going from 9700 to 9780 to 9900, and everyone of them I have no issue whatsoever. Seriously, I picked up my 9900 from the store without opening the box and up to now I have no issue whatsoever. Don't be discouraged on what you read in this forum. One thing I can tell you is that I'm in no hurry to jump on BBX phone after owning this 9900..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-11 08:50 AM
    I had iPhone4 for few days before I switched back to BB.

I have had 9900 for about 3 months. No problem with it at all.
    It is even more addictive with its awesome keypad which is better than 9700.

9900 is much faster than 9700, its keypad beats every other smart phones.

The battery life was not very good in the beginning but improved to a perfect span after upgrading its OS.
    Even when its battery life not good, it was still better than iPhone 4S.

Lots of my friends have switched to 9900 from iPhone.

Go to a store and try typing fast on 9900. Make sure you have money with you!
    11-25-11 08:59 AM
    I'm hoping that most people stormed the other stores on Black Friday (today). I'm planning to go there this evening and checking it out.

My mom's family plan is attached to an older company plan that she no longer works for, but AT*T told her not to worry about it. She wants to have it switched to the Department of the Army.

Right now, AT*T has $100 for premier accounts, but if I do it online, I have to agree to that she is still a part of the company (currently stated as something other than Department of the Army).

I'm hoping that I can speak with the manager and show him my CAC card/student ID card and he'll grant me the $100 off.

Can't beat a $200 bold.
    11-25-11 09:07 AM
    OP,
    I don't think you would get the same or even similar experience you had with the 9700 as suggested above. Here is an article comparing the two.
    RIM BlackBerry Bold 9930 vs BlackBerry Bold 9700

You get all the BlackBerry goodies and way more.

By the way, I've had six friends get new BlackBerry's after they saw mine and not one of them has had any problems with it. I think if you don't do crazy stuff, like I do, with your Bold you will be very happy with it.

Also, the Bold is more secure. I just can't tell you how important this is to me.
    iPhone Security Bug Lets Innocent-Looking Apps Go Bad - Forbes
    iPhone Security Issues Reported: Germany's Security Experts Warn Of Apple iOS Malware Vulnerability

I also had a Torch 9800 but I prefer the 9930/9900 form factor. For me it is just what I need. Especially with the grand piano like keyboard that is 6% bigger than the previous Bold.

Good luck!
    11-25-11 09:19 AM
    This is a great phone, except for a few troubling issues. Please go to this thread for feedback and information regarding user experience and satisfaction of 99xx phones from most user:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9930-a-672695/
    11-25-11 09:56 AM
    Aren't there already a hundred threads on this topic....ok I exaggerate maybe only 35.
    11-25-11 10:03 AM
    I do love my 9930, but I have had one "brick" issue even though I am very light on apps. A quick two minute restore from desktop manager and I've been running smooth since. That issue is being fixed now.
    The OS of the 9930 is a delight and the keyboard is a really huge win for me. I will never "get used to" another crappy keyboard after being spoiled by these buttons. I've always got 24-50 hrs. battery life and it re-charges pretty quickly. The 9930's form factor feels tight and solid (not that the Iphone doesn't), but the Bold raises the bar in the ergonomics department. If a secure, efficient, purpose built communication device sounds appealing, I think you would like to have a 9930 as a daily driver.
    11-25-11 02:14 PM
    I switched from BB to an Iphone 4 just to try and finishing keeping the Iphone

maybe I'll return to BB when I can make free video calls with skype, like in my iphone

and thats just maybe, now i understand all the people who think BB are dinosaurs

PD: sorry dont want to look like a troll, it's just my experience
    11-25-11 03:54 PM
    If you need a keyboard and the instant message apps than get the bb but if you need a great camera, and webbrowser than keep the iphone... The games on the iPhone get old, but they still have some great apps bb doesn't have like netflix
    11-25-11 04:13 PM
    I have had NO problems with my Bold. I think the other phones are for teenagers who surf the Internet and play games. In my opinion may I suggest something on the Android side. Something with a nice big screen for Internet usage and a physical keyboard. No you have all the apps you want, along with a keyboard.
    Last edited by waukeshaberry; 11-25-11 at 07:06 PM.
    11-25-11 07:02 PM
    Add the twice the processor=1.2ghz is reallly nice web browsing along with liquid graphics
    11-25-11 07:05 PM
    Hello Crackberry forums,

I'm a current iPhone 4S user that recently switched from the Bold 9700. I was really, really impatient, and upgraded one of the family lines to the 9810, which I liked, but I hated the form factor. I returned that phone for the 9700 for $.01. Then I found another line for the iPhone 4S and bought that.

Now...while I love iPhone 4S, it's just as buggy as BBOS. First off, no Google Talk. WTF? Secondly, AIM sucks ***. Thirdly, iPhone is compulsive-buyer-beware (seriously). I have a third line I could upgrade and swap, which means I'd keep my iPhone 4S as an iPod. The battery life is quite terrible.

The biggest reason(s) for me to head back to Blackberry is the keyboard and how great it was to keep in contact with my girlfriend's family in Venezuela. I find WhatsApp to be "eh" at best.

I obviously have good reasons for going back. I don't find myself using the iPhone's distinctive features more than when I actually needed them on the Bold 9700.

While this is a terrible place to see if a phone is a good phone or not, I have read on the forums of the 9900 having many, many issues, and it's discouraging. I was bat-**** insane for the 9900 before I made the leap, but self-bricking phones, even worse battery life, and other issues seem to be far, far too common on these forums.

I want someone here to convince me otherwise. Perhaps with personal experience that it at least works well for some.
    Do what I did. Get yourself the bold 9900 and an iPod ath gen. You'll get all the apple goodies from your ipod and the pleasures of the bold 9900. Its a win-win situation. Plus, the 4S will cover the cost of both devices

lazure likes this.
    11-26-11 02:59 AM
    Best BB is 9780�
    Better than OS5 and goodness of OS7.
    Better part is, it doesn�t have crap of OS7, Its fast, reliable, better battery, nice pocket size.
    You can install some recant OS6 build on your 9700�and ready to go�
    9700 is very good device�
    Don�t fall into buying new smartphone trap�
    Stuck to 9700 (if your need is messaging, communication and PIM).
    11-26-11 04:55 AM
    I sold my iPhone 4s and got the 9900 to go with my playbook, love them both ;-)
    11-26-11 05:53 AM
    I sold my iPhone 4s and got the 9900 to go with my playbook, love them both ;-)
    Exactly.
    Bold 9900 + PlayBook ($199) is a good combo. Specially because it looks like that BB OS 7.1 has Wifi Hotspot (several of my customers have confirmed this), a feature that allows playBook to be internet connected everywhere. That means again no need to pay twice montly for a data plan on the smart phone and a data plan for the tablet as most Apple fans do.
    11-26-11 06:03 AM
    @TheStoof, I have no idea what some of these people are talking about regarding the 9700 vs. 9900. The only things they have in common are the form factor and a similar OS; otherwise they are very different devices. OS6 and 7 may look about the same, but under the hood they are a generation apart, to say nothing of the difference in hardware. The UI is smoother and more responsive, the browser is faster, wireless network is faster, and the keyboard is bigger and more comfortable. If you like the form factor and the OS already, just try a 9900 and you'll see the difference, and most likely immediately be sold. I had the 9810 for just over a month after having the 9800 for a year, and although I really liked the bigger touch screen, I never did get completely comfortable with typing on it. The 9900 was like coming home as soon as I took it out of the box.

As for the self-bricking issues, at&t's phones seem to be pretty solid. I've had mine since release day and it has been flawless. I've seen only one report of one of their 9900's nuking itself (it was recovered, so it was not bricked). I've installed OS version .540, and it's been rock-solid. I gave it a few days to settle in and battery life has been more than acceptable. I also made sure I have only OS7-compatible apps installed. Just get it ... you won't be sorry.
    11-26-11 06:18 AM
    I've been given an almost new iPhone 4 to play with for a few days with the option of keeping it if I enjoy using it.

Coming from a Samsung Galaxy S2 and having serious desires on a Bold 9900, I find myself somewhat torn between the three. The only thing preventing me from buying the Bold is a nervousness with regards to the bricking issues that I keep reading about.
    11-26-11 09:14 AM
    I've been given an almost new iPhone 4 to play with for a few days with the option of keeping it if I enjoy using it.

Coming from a Samsung Galaxy S2 and having serious desires on a Bold 9900, I find myself somewhat torn between the three. The only thing preventing me from buying the Bold is a nervousness with regards to the bricking issues that I keep reading about.
    I'd really appreciate your feedback on the Galaxy S2 if you don't mind. I've been using th Bold 9900 since it came out, but am seriously considering buying the SGS2. I love the 9900 keyboard, LED, Auto on/off, and the Blackberry OS is like a comfortable pair of shoes. But I really want the bigger screen for browsing, and feel that Android will continue to leave Blackberry behind. I tried the playbook, but it wasn't for me, so the SGS3 seems like the whole package? Also, my wife has the Iphone4, and I prefer Blackberry OS to IOS...

Note, I'm really hopefull for BBX, but I'm not sure I trust Jim and Mike enough to stick around.
    11-26-11 09:26 AM
    I'd really appreciate your feedback on the Galaxy S2 if you don't mind.
    No worries.

I found the S2 to be a decent phone after I purchased a 3200m extended battery for it. Before that I found myself struggling to make it through a moderate working day without needing a recharge (this is just a few phone calls, some texts, email and so on. No games, videos and the like). I have it sat next to an iPhone 4 (not 4S) and it blows the iPhone away in terms of speed, memory expansion, screen size but not resolution and weight. My S2 never lags, the camera is very good indeed and 1080p video recording is great. Browsing on it is fast and smooth and with the NOLED app I can see when I need to reply to a text, email etc as my version (UK) doesn't have an LED.

However, it is not without its downsides. I find Android to be a bit cumbersome to navigate, despite it being massively customisable compared with IOS. Also, the phone is rather big, so one handed operation isn't really that easy, and I have large hands. The phone has a very plastic feel to it and so the build quality doesn't feel as premium as the Bold 9900 or the iPhone. The final thing to consider is security as there's been quite a lot of talk about how much malware is floating about in the Android App market.

I'm looking at all 3 phones without any fanboyism. I need a device that can do what I need it to do well and efficiently, and so far, if I'm completely honest, they all can.

Hope that helps!
    11-26-11 09:40 AM
    I had iPhone4 for few days before I switched back to BB.

I have had 9900 for about 3 months. No problem with it at all.
    It is even more addictive with its awesome keypad which is better than 9700.

9900 is much faster than 9700, its keypad beats every other smart phones.

The battery life was not very good in the beginning but improved to a perfect span after upgrading its OS.
    Even when its battery life not good, it was still better than iPhone 4S.

Lots of my friends have switched to 9900 from iPhone.

Go to a store and try typing fast on 9900. Make sure you have money with you!
    9900 must have better battery life than the 9930. My 4s kills the 9930 I had in battery life. I mean not even close and I do alot more with my 4s. It's different for everyone but that was my experience!
    11-26-11 09:48 AM
    No worries.

I found the S2 to be a decent phone after I purchased a 3200m extended battery for it. Before that I found myself struggling to make it through a moderate working day without needing a recharge (this is just a few phone calls, some texts, email and so on. No games, videos and the like). I have it sat next to an iPhone 4 (not 4S) and it blows the iPhone away in terms of speed, memory expansion, screen size but not resolution and weight. My S2 never lags, the camera is very good indeed and 1080p video recording is great. Browsing on it is fast and smooth and with the NOLED app I can see when I need to reply to a text, email etc as my version (UK) doesn't have an LED.

However, it is not without its downsides. I find Android to be a bit cumbersome to navigate, despite it being massively customisable compared with IOS. Also, the phone is rather big, so one handed operation isn't really that easy, and I have large hands. The phone has a very plastic feel to it and so the build quality doesn't feel as premium as the Bold 9900 or the iPhone. The final thing to consider is security as there's been quite a lot of talk about how much malware is floating about in the Android App market.

I'm looking at all 3 phones without any fanboyism. I need a device that can do what I need it to do well and efficiently, and so far, if I'm completely honest, they all can.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks, really appreciate the honest feedback. I'm debating getting a SGS2 and using it as a complimentary device to Bold 9900. I use it during workdays as my primary email typing device, so I'm also curious how you found the typing to be with Swype, etc.

Cheers

11-26-11 10:02 AM
    I'm also curious how you found the typing to be with Swype, etc.
    I found the standard Gingerbread keyboard to be ok at best. Swype is a nice option, but I honestly haven't given it much time and so I can be a bit slower than what was probably intended when typing! In the end I went for a keyboard app called Swiftkey X, which I like. However, the Bold 9900 simply destroys the S2 when it comes to typing anything longer than a short text message, which is one of the reasons that I'm considering it!

Out of the two phones in front of me, the iPhone 4 keyboard is more accurate to type on despite it being smaller, than the standard S2 one. Of course, that could just be me!
    11-26-11 10:16 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD