So I've been looking to go back to a Blackberry from Android. From what I read Facebook and Twitter seems to be better/more complete on a BB, which I actually use a fair bit. For what's it worth I do use some apps on the droid - Linkedin, IMDB, Amex, etc.

So a person I know works for TMO Corp and I can get a huge discount off buying the handset outright. So I was thinking of jumping to a 9900 but I noticed that I have a really hard time typing on the physical keyboard.

My former employer issued me a Curve around 3 years ago which I had for nearly two years. I used to be able to crank out emails - well over a 150-200 per day. When I tried out the 9900 today I could barely type a single email without taking forever... during the past year I've been using a Galaxy S Vibrant with a virtual enhanced smart keyboard and I can fly typing on it. So now I am looking at getting an HTC Amaze 4G since it will cost me the same.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be causing me to be painfully slow when it come to typing on the 9900? Should I give it another try?
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 10-09-11 at 09:18 PM.
    10-09-11 09:14 PM
    Well do you want a full touchscreen or not! Get your friend to hook me up with an amaze and ill let you know which one I'd keep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 09:16 PM
    Well do you want a full touchscreen or not! Get your friend to hook me up with an amaze and ill let you know which one I'd keep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Uhm.. NO. :0
    10-09-11 09:21 PM
    The Amaze blows away the Bold 9900 in terms of specs. Unless you prefer BlackBerry 7 to Android 2.3 + Sense 3.0, I don't see any reason to get it.
    10-09-11 10:31 PM
    Well I read about 6 different reviews today and they all say the same thing about the Amaze... it's a great phone, stylish, well built, one of the best on the market and that they are all sorely disappointed by the battery life which is roughly 5-6 hours at most. Damn that's horrible.
    10-11-11 09:19 PM
    that's the common problem with android phones..battery life
    mssca likes this.
    10-11-11 09:39 PM
    1730 mAh battery is very weak for a touch screen. I think with the same amount of my emails and text messages, the Bold 9900 with LESS, yep less mAh battery would last longer.

Also, in my personal experience, I type faster on physical keyboards.
    10-11-11 11:21 PM
    The Amaze blows away the Bold 9900 in terms of specs. Unless you prefer BlackBerry 7 to Android 2.3 + Sense 3.0, I don't see any reason to get it.
    Yep, it will also blow away the battery in the middle of my day.
    joju58 likes this.
    10-11-11 11:22 PM
    1730 mAh battery is very weak for a touch screen. I think with the same amount of my emails and text messages, the Bold 9900 with LESS, yep less mAh battery would last longer.

Also, in my personal experience, I type faster on physical keyboards.
    Well I use to be able to type like a SOB - answering over 100 emails a day at work with no problem. But for some reason I have a hard time with the BB. Maybe I will get use to again.

Also since I use google for my contacts, calendar and email - is there anything I specifically need to make sure everything synchs up?
    10-11-11 11:29 PM
    that's the common problem with android phones..battery life
    True but that's really bad... what is it with HTC? Seems like their phones are worse than other Androids.
    10-11-11 11:30 PM
    apples and oranges
    10-11-11 11:53 PM
    Yep, it will also blow away the battery in the middle of my day.
    +1 ...exactly right
    10-12-11 12:22 AM
    So with 3 days of outages I think I am going to ditch the idea of going back to BB. I know these things happen, but RIM at this point flat out said they are hoping to have everything sorted out by the weekend-- that doesn't instill confidence.

Besides I use my phone for work and couldn't afford to be down for +3 days - when its a carrier issue or if Google has issue with their cloud it's only been a few mins to no more than an hour or so before everything is back up and running smoothly not days like what is going on with BIS/BES.

Oh, on a side note a friend of mine got the Amaze and he limited to 3G and he said his battery with heavy use last a bit over 8 hours. Yes I know it's not as long as a BB but it's better than 5 hours being connected to 4G.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 10-12-11 at 11:56 AM.
    10-12-11 11:45 AM
    So I finally decided and I just picked up the Amaze. I really took a hard look at the 9900 but I just couldn't do it. I'll wait to see what QNX handsets look like. Have to say that I love the phone and I'll let you guys know how the battery life is.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 10-12-11 at 11:28 PM.
    10-12-11 10:46 PM
    OK, I'm gonna thread jack, sorry. I am in the same boat here (trying to decide Amaze VS 9900) but my needs are a little different. Although I hope to change positions soon, for now, I use my 9700 as an actual phone. I make over 200 calls a day on most days. All the while texting while talking on a bluetooth. I rarely use the web but for looking up movie times or some other quick info. Don't do a lot of games. I do use Gmail and google maps quite a lot. Some days I am tied to office making calls all day and others I hit the road making 20-40 stops a day. A friend of mine has allowed me to test drive an old nexus one he had laying around and so far I have managed to learn my way around android and set it up pretty close to what I think I can live with but it is smaller than the new androids so it isn't quite the same. So, knowing all that.......

I am thinking that I just can not do what I do without a real keyboard.

Google maps and navigation on android is sweet though.

I really like the dedicated side buttons (eliminated galaxy S for me) but both have them

Will google calendar sync with the 9900 like it does android?

I really like the smaller size of the 9900. Those touch devices have really grown too big. One handed use is out of the question with my size mitts.

Am I missing anything else? I have spent hours in the store recently. Heck, the reps know me by name now. I even made them move the amaze display next to the 9900 so I could go back and forth. I still can't decide. If I get out of this position of having to make a million calls a day, then the amaze is way more powerful device. But damn, that BB keyboard is the best. Any other thought or advise? What else am I not considering? I know, what a 1st world problem right, which mobile device to buy! Man, we really got it rough. But really, they are both expensive and I will be tied to it for the next 24 months, I really want to get this right. Am I over thinking this? Just stick with what I know, BB?

Thanks,
    Chad

Ps. Oh yeah, I almost forgot about battery life. Knowing how I use my phone I am under the impression that both phones will die before the end of the day? Which sucks cause only on extremely heavy use days does my 9700 have less than 1/3 power after 5 pm. I have only ever had to use a charger one time before 5 and I am not even sure how I caused that.
    Last edited by chadecoen; 12-01-11 at 10:07 PM. Reason: battery life...
    12-01-11 09:49 PM
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Both devices are geared towards two totally different users. Just like when people compare 99xx to an iPhone. No offense to the OP but I just get tired of seeing these vs. threads.
    12-01-11 10:12 PM
    Respectfully, I disagree. They both do many things very similar. They do go off in different directions on some areas trying to appeal to the different groups they are geared for. BUT they are both trying to gain traction in the other's camp. Android is trying like **** to get BB users and BB is trying like **** to keep up with the media appeal of the droid phones. I think they are getting pretty close in practicality though. Well, obviously I think they are close or I wouldn't be having a hard time deciding!
    12-01-11 10:27 PM
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Both devices are geared towards two totally different users. Just like when people compare 99xx to an iPhone. No offense to the OP but I just get tired of seeing these vs. threads.
    I have to agree its apples and oranges. I have an Amaze 4g and a 9780. Can't comment on the 9900. The Amaze is really an amazing device, but it's not a great phone. That's why I've kept my Blackberry. Bluetooth range on the Amaze is strictly line of sight. I can't carry it in my left breast pocket and have my bluetooth headset in my right ear. The battery life is really terrible. I have two spare batteries and can use all three to get through one day if I don't have access to a charger. The Amaze weighs a lot. You can't simply slip it into a pocket like you can a 9780. Still, for what it does, maps, video, Netflix, Youtube, Angry Birds, etc. etc. it is really great. Just depends on what you want and need.
    12-01-11 10:36 PM
    WOW, that is great feedback. Thanks. Nice to hear of a real users battery life. I actually like the weight of the amaze. Feels (to me at least) like the BB's have always felt to me. Like you have something substantial in your hand. Not a toy. Kind of sucks to hear about the blue tooth. I have noticed some of that on my 9700 though. Sometimes if my 9700 is on the left side of my desk and ear piece is on right, then I get a little static even though it is only like 1 or 2 feet apart. Sucks.

Thanks,
    Chad
    12-01-11 10:50 PM
    weird, double post.
    Last edited by chadecoen; 12-01-11 at 10:51 PM. Reason: x2
    12-01-11 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD