Hello everyone,

I guess I'll be switching from a Nokia E71 phone to a BB soon (it's a shame newer Nokia phones don't support Lotus Notes sync anymore).

I have my eyes on a 9900 or a 9780.

Some additions: I'm not to fond of touch screens, so I'd probably like to turn that off on the 9900; battery life is important; speed of course!

As hardcore users and devotees of Blackberry, I'd like to ask you for your opinion (pros/cons etc.)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by GOATimes; 05-24-11 at 09:48 AM.
    05-24-11 09:38 AM
    It's no contest ... if you can wait a month or two, hold out for the 9900.
    OS7
    Faster processor
    More app memory
    More internal storage
    Much better display resolution
    Touch screen + BB keyboard

Just for starters.
    05-24-11 09:43 AM
    9780 Keyboard does not compare to the 9900 keyboard. The 9900 is supposed to be the new cadillac of blackberries, with the best hardware RIM has put into a phone. It is their new flagship device. Plus better operating system, more memory, faster, and battery life is what BlackBerry smartphones are known for, so it should be good for that too. As for cons with the 9900 towards the 9780.... don't know of any. Everything that has been reported about the 9900 has been better than the 9780 IMO. I would wait to see how it is before you make your decision. Good luck!
    05-24-11 09:58 AM
    I have seen the difference, first hand. The faster processor in the 9900 make the device so much different that any device that RIM has introduced. The phone is slick and smooth and there is no hesitation. Screen movements are perfectly smooth with no jumping when scrolling with your finger on a larger web page.

There is no comparison
    05-24-11 10:10 AM
    9780s have huge quality control issues. I am checking my mom's new 9780 for any hardware keyboard issues. I hope 9900 won't have these problems. But given the downhill movement of RIM, I can only wish that there will be no hardware issues on new 9900.

I don't want to be an Apple fan boy and I even hate typing on glass, but RIM's quality control seems to go down as Apple's quality control keeps improving!!!
    05-24-11 10:18 AM
    9780 Keyboard does not compare to the 9900 keyboard. The 9900 is supposed to be the new cadillac of blackberries!
    LOL... I hope BB 9900 is NOT the cadillac of blackberries. I hate Cadillacs.
    05-24-11 10:19 AM
    LOL... I hope BB 9900 is NOT the cadillac of blackberries. I hate Cadillacs.
    Ha, well, when people say that, they mean that it has everything/all the goodies. Plus the 9900 has a way better keyboard of the 9000 than the 9780/9700. That helps a lot when you work a lot off of your phone and type a lot. Way more comfortable.
    05-24-11 10:25 AM
    Some 9780s have quality control issues.
    Corrected your BS statement

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Jake Storm likes this.
    05-24-11 12:59 PM
    Corrected your BS statement

Yes you are right... But the RIM don't admit to the issues and recall all the Bold 9780s, so I think consumers like me will see ALL Bold 9780s have issues. Why? Because MOST of the stock of 9780 here in Canada is made with the defect built in!!

I am a consumer just like everyone else and I can only hope that 9900 will not have any quality control issues.
    05-24-11 01:56 PM
    Ha, well, when people say that, they mean that it has everything/all the goodies. Plus the 9900 has a way better keyboard of the 9000 than the 9780/9700. That helps a lot when you work a lot off of your phone and type a lot. Way more comfortable.
    I know... I am just kidding...
    05-24-11 01:58 PM
    Thanks for all your feedback!

Two things remain right now:
    - I thought the battery of the 9900 is smaller than in the 9780? How can battery life be approx. the same?
    - Touch screen: optional to turn it off?

Thx!

05-24-11 03:43 PM
    My friends Mom works at RIM and he said she might bring home the test unit. Ill Try it out and tell you how it is
    05-24-11 03:50 PM

Thx!

Yes, you can.
    05-24-11 04:42 PM
    9900 all the way!
    everything is either bigger or better on this one. the 9780 was an awesome device tough far better in my view from the e71. welcome on board
    05-24-11 04:49 PM
    Hey guys should I get the old phone or the newer better faster stronger one?

lol sorry :P
    Jake Storm likes this.
    05-24-11 06:49 PM
    Thanks for all your feedback!

Two things remain right now:
    - I thought the battery of the 9900 is smaller than in the 9780? How can battery life be approx. the same?

Thx!

It is a smaller battery but the tech behind it is different and OS enhancements are suppose to improve battery life as well so this is why they are said to be approx. the same

No there is not an option to turn the touchscreen off as far as we know but you don't need to touch the screen if you don't want to. You have a trackpad that will work just fine if u want to use that instead.
    05-24-11 09:23 PM
    the 9780 is still the same as 9700 externally.never liked the form factor because it was too small in my manly hands.im excited for the return of the larger size.im not saying the bold 9700/9780 are bad in any way.it will remain popular in many continents of the world.i could also see rim making a revamp of the this series.but i have been waiting an eternity for a new phone for which i could stick with.i believe the time has come to retire my current device.im also considering the torch 2 for its much larger screen and apollo for the curve cool factor.this is going to be a hard decision because i can't get all three.if i had the money,i would.
    05-24-11 09:50 PM
     i could also see rim making a revamp of the this series.
    I do hope this will happen. I checked the used 9000 but it felt like I am pushing my palm to my ear, just like old 7000 series. I love my 9780 form factor. It's so compact and pocketable. As long as the touch screen has a pinch & zoom capability, I can use the smaller screen for browser and map most of the time. When you need a larger display, I will simply tether it with wifi hotspot "if it has it" (a deal breaker if it does not).
    05-24-11 11:02 PM
    imo 9900 > 9780!!
    Yup, same here, no comparison
    05-24-11 11:14 PM
    What exactly is the difference in screen size ?? I think its like...

9780 - 2.4" Vs 9900 - 2.8"

If it is right then do you guys think that this 0.4" extra is worth for a touch screen ?? cause 3.2" on Torch makes it really usable but 2.8" .... hmmm

please share your opinions.

Thanks
    05-25-11 01:28 AM

9780 - 2.4" Vs 9900 - 2.8"
    Yes, those are the correct sizes and the 0.4" definitely makes a difference. I think it will be usable enough for a touchscreen at least the way it will be used on a keyboard BB. I think a 3" screen would have been ideal but 2.8" should be just fine.
    05-25-11 01:44 AM
    but RIM's quality control seems to go down as Apple's quality control keeps improving!!!
    Absolute rubbish...as said some 9780's have build issues not all...my white 9780 is perfectly built ie no issues and even if there was im not that anally retentive about it. As for Apple quality control??...haha sure they make nice products but like everyone else they suffer from bad quality too...i have an iphone4 that i bought last Aug...since then till now ive had to change it 4 times due to the top button not working, i also had an issue where the microphone died on me and then lets not forget the infamous attennagate scandal....at least RIM phones dont suffer from that horrible build quality defect and yes my iphone4 still suffers from the signal loss...well to be fair it isnt exactly signal loss but rather full strength and i still cant make or receive any calls whereas my 9780 doesnt suffer from that problem.

But for me the 9900 is going to be the BB that beats them all...im disappointed in that its taken RIM such a long time to put a beefy processor and better specs in their devices....but better late than never is what i say.
    05-25-11 05:46 AM
    Yes, you can.
    Is this definite? I remember a thread on this issue a little while back when most dumped on the guy who started the thread wanting this option, asking why he just doesn't ignore the touch screen and not touch it?

I said I would like the option to switch "touch" off, but don't see it happening as too few people would be interested in this quirky feature.

But if this has been confirmed, well... er...

...it doesn't change anything... still getting it . Maybe just more enthusiastically!
    05-25-11 11:17 AM
    Is this definite?
    Definitely... not
    05-25-11 11:21 AM
    Definitely... not
    lol. Thanks.

Like the ton of emails I'm getting lately, it did seem too good to be true
    05-25-11 11:42 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD