I bought an Unlocked Bold 9900 (Branded From T-Mobile), in USA and brought it to Argentina (Where i live), here i used a Curve 9300. With the 9300 i used to have 3G almost everywhere. I have Movistar.
    Now when i started using the 9900, i only get EDGE. I cant manually change it to 3G, only 2G networks appears. To make matters worse, i cant receive phone call, i mean i get 1 out of 20, they all go to voice mail, and my phone doesn't get them. But i can make phone call, with no problem. Also SMS service does not work properly. I can send but sometimes they don't get them, and lots of time i don't get them.
    Sometimes when i do manual scan for available networks, a 3G/4G option appears, but when i switch to that option it last almost 3 seconds.

Is there any possible solution?

Before buying i thought that over here in Argentina, i should use 9900, cause from what i read 9930 wont work over here. But now im thinking if it was quite the opposite. But then why do i get 2G, and i can make phone calls.

Please, help me.

Thanks.
    12-13-11 11:22 AM
    It appears that Movistar uses the 1900 MHz frequency band for 3G. A T-Mobile USA device uses the 1700 MHz frequency band. So you will only get EDGE on Movistar's network with a T-Mobile USA device. You will get 3G if you use an AT&T device.

List of UMTS networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-13-11 11:31 AM
    It appears that Movistar uses the 1900 MHz frequency band for 3G. A T-Mobile USA device uses the 1700 MHz frequency band. So you will only get EDGE on Movistar's network with a T-Mobile USA device. You will get 3G if you use an AT&T device.

List of UMTS networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I was just going to say, I bet Movistar is on AT&T's frequency.
    12-13-11 01:27 PM
    They should keep everything consistant.. Interesting to see when everything will go LTE...
    12-13-11 03:23 PM
    What if i change carrier? will that work out?
    is there any other way that i can keep my phone and make it work?
    12-14-11 01:11 PM
    Only a carrier that supports the same frequency on the device.
    12-14-11 09:41 PM
    As freethisberrydotcom said, you can change carriers and get 3G/4G as long as the new carrier is the same as T-Mobile's 3G/4G frequency. In that case you can keep your phone. I've heard people using Edge just fine though, is the speed unbearable?
    12-15-11 01:07 AM
    If it was just that i get Edge, probably i would bear it. But i get 1 out of 20 phone calls or sms.
    12-17-11 11:53 AM
    Get youmail.
    12-20-11 02:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD