Hi all
    I have just bought a BOLD 9900 unlocked phone in a 3 shop. I have applied my VODAFONE SIM and all is running smoothly.
    After 1 week I still can not make full day with the battery and tried to move the network to "2G ONLY" but...... Surprise! Do not exist this option in this phone!
    How to fix this problem? I am a frequent traveller and can not use the cable during my business travels, I do not think that this phone need to be unlocked because all the options inside the SIM menu' are "allowed".
    I have tried to update filmare with a leaked 7.1.0.267 to see if this can fix the problem but nothing happened (hoping the battery life will be more than original 7.0.0.256).
    Only I saw something veeery strange.
    When I upgraded the filmware I received a strange message from the carrier 3 and afterwards I have received the ususal message from Vodafone (the phone is registered n the wireless network).

I need to unbrand-debrand it from the original operator 3?
    How to make this operation? I have only find a lot of threads for unlocking this phone nothig to debrand it...

Please help

Thanks a lot
    02-18-12 11:15 AM
    You do not need to debrand it. In fact it is illegal in many countries anyway.

I think there are few versions of Bold 9900s in the market with slightly different bands of GSM. I would go to the Vodafone and ask for help or someone here at crackberry with knowledge on radio bands hopefully reply to this thread with bit more info on this.

Also, if you are using 9900 now, it would be great if you edit your Device(s): from 9780 (Bold) to 9900 (Bold) on your profile.
    02-18-12 11:19 AM
    Just updated my profile I can provide all info's if someone would be so nice to help me.. Seems unbelievable that can not lock the 2G and with this battery it's the only option apart buying a more powerfull battery that here in italy should be not easy to be found on the market... Any suggestion?
    02-18-12 11:28 AM
    Updated profile now
    02-18-12 11:31 AM
    It is because 3 uses a different frequency for 3g than vodafone. 2G only works as gsm is the common frequency for both carriers.
    02-18-12 01:40 PM
    Basically the reason why you don't have the 2g option available on your 9900 that is branded 3 is because 3 doesn't have a 2g network and if they do it's only for calling and texting. I know this from past experience. Debrand your phone to generic bb software using one of the leaks and this isn't illegal like someone had said in a post earlier on this thread.
    02-18-12 01:57 PM
    De branding won't fix ur issue. You basically bought a version of 9900 that has different antenna. Maybe that's AWS version? Maybe sell that and get the version that will work with ur network.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    02-18-12 02:08 PM
    Basically the reason why you don't have the 2g option available on your 9900 that is branded 3 is because 3 doesn't have a 2g network and if they do it's only for calling and texting. I know this from past experience. Debrand your phone to generic bb software using one of the leaks and this isn't illegal like someone had said in a post earlier on this thread.
    Hi Meg
    I think you are totally right.
    In fact I am looking some a procedure to return my phone to a generic factory configuration. This phone is UNLOCKED and I can do everything I like with my phone because I have fully paid it. Can you suggest me a link to workaround this problem? I can not travel with a phone out of battery.. And I travel a lot. In office/home/car sure is not a problem to plug it in a power source but I need 2G when I travel... Thanks for any suggestion/indication !
    02-18-12 02:47 PM
    De branding won't fix ur issue. You basically bought a version of 9900 that has different antenna. Maybe that's AWS version? Maybe sell that and get the version that will work with ur network.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

The switching between 2g and 3g bands is not affected by the type of antenna! What on earth made you think up of this ridiculous theory? 3 network is a network that wants all their customers to be receiving 3g signal and not 2g unless the customer is in an area where 3g signal isn't available.
    02-19-12 02:05 PM
    Hi Meg

In fact I am looking some a procedure to return my phone to a generic factory configuration. This phone is UNLOCKED and I can do everything I like with my phone because I have fully paid it. Can you suggest me a link to workaround this problem? I can not travel with a phone out of battery.. And I travel a lot. In office/home/car sure is not a problem to plug it in a power source but I need 2G when I travel... Thanks for any suggestion/indication !

Like I said search the CB forums for a generic os7 or os7.1 leak and install that. I haven't got no idea of how to install leaks but they will work and fix the problem that you're having. Also I suggest you purchase a seido external battery charger that is portable. One of the guys at CB reviewed this particular external charger and it's quite compact perfect for carrying around in case you run out of juice.
    02-19-12 02:07 PM
    Hi Meg
    In fact I am looking some a procedure to return my phone to a generic factory configuration.
    It cannot be done. Carrier branding is only able to be changed at the factory. No 3rd parties are able to change it.

Your only option would be to get a difference device or a different carrier.
    02-19-12 02:09 PM
    Hi Laura
    as carrier I have Vodafone. I bought this phone in the "3" shop because was costing 599 EUR instead of 649EUR at Vodafone shop. The shop employer told me that the device was 100% unlocked and all sim card of any operators should work fine inside this phone.
    In fact the Vodafone sim is working properly and everything is ok, only I can not accet the "2G" only.
    I have bought a sanyo batter on ebay for 23USD yesterday (now my saving is reduced to 40EUR), but I really want to find a way to lock the phone on "2G" only when I am travelling or... May be I can ask some friends of this forum to borrow me their battery when I am in Nyc for my appointments walking full day from 9am too 7pm?
    Only option is to carry a new batter but sound very stupid to have this problem.
    So that On Vodafone 9900 Bold all peoples have the 3 networks available.

Hi Meg
    I have tryed the new OS 7.1.0.247 (or .249) but still do not see the only "2G" option in my networks screen..

I have been also in the engeneering screen and I think there are some settings there to be operated, but I am really scared to touch something there...

Please sent me a PM if there is something not perfectly correct to make me able fix this phone, it's really a nice device with a gorgeous keyboard do not want return to my old 9780... Thanks!
    02-21-12 01:37 AM
    Excuse me for my bad grammar and horrible typing, I am submitting posts during my working time and my english is not the best
    02-21-12 01:39 AM
    Hi Laura

as carrier I have Vodafone. I bought this phone in the "3" shop because was costing 599 EUR instead of 649EUR at Vodafone shop. The shop employer told me that the device was 100% unlocked and all sim card of any operators should work fine inside this phone.

In fact the Vodafone sim is working properly and everything is ok, only I can not accet the "2G" only.

I have bought a sanyo batter on ebay for 23USD yesterday (now my saving is reduced to 40EUR), but I really want to find a way to lock the phone on "2G" only when I am travelling or... May be I can ask some friends of this forum to borrow me their battery when I am in Nyc for my appointments walking full day from 9am too 7pm?

Only option is to carry a new batter but sound very stupid to have this problem.

So that On Vodafone 9900 Bold all peoples have the 3 networks available.

Hi Meg

I have tryed the new OS 7.1.0.247 (or .249) but still do not see the only "2G" option in my networks screen..

I have been also in the engeneering screen and I think there are some settings there to be operated, but I am really scared to touch something there...

Please sent me a PM if there is something not perfectly correct to make me able fix this phone, it's really a nice device with a gorgeous keyboard do not want return to my old 9780... Thanks!

7.1.0.190 lets me use 2G only mode and stays that way on my 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-21-12 02:15 AM
    hmmm 3UK really are a bummer when it comes to their branded handsets. You may aswell sell it and purchase another 9900 maybe on the vodafone or o2 uk network unlocked as 3uk really don't want to give their customers the option to switch between 2g or 3g. Also with the indian call centre they don't seem to understand anyones problems!!
    02-21-12 04:44 AM
    hmmm 3UK really are a bummer when it comes to their branded handsets. You may aswell sell it and purchase another 9900 maybe on the vodafone or o2 uk network unlocked as 3uk really don't want to give their customers the option to switch between 2g or 3g. Also with the indian call centre they don't seem to understand anyones problems!!
    You cant really blame ThreeUK for not wanting their handsets to work on 2g can you? The use Orange UK as a roaming partner when there is no 3UK coverage. What happened initially when 3UK was launched is that everyone was switching their phones to 2g only and was costing 3UK a fortune in roaming costs.

This is why current 3UK handsets dont have the 2g only option.

Have you tried using vodafones software for the 9900 from the official RIM page? Think .585 is the latest

Steve
    02-21-12 07:19 AM
    You cant really blame ThreeUK for not wanting their handsets to work on 2g can you? The use Orange UK as a roaming partner when there is no 3UK coverage. What happened initially when 3UK was launched is that everyone was switching their phones to 2g only and was costing 3UK a fortune in roaming costs.

This is why current 3UK handsets dont have the 2g only option.

Have you tried using vodafones software for the 9900 from the official RIM page? Think .585 is the latest

Steve

Apparently changing the branding on a blackberry doesn't seem to resolve the problem as the guy who posted this thread had tried doing with a leak. 3 UK is an awesome network for great deals for calls, texting & internet but people are better off buying the new bb's either from another network or sim free then taking out a contract sim.
    02-21-12 09:41 AM
    Yes the phone do not want to change the networks with any filmware... Nobody know if it's possible to modify the available network options from Engineering Screen?
    02-21-12 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD