Hi everyone!

My trackpad is a real pain in the a**** sometimes and I decided to replace it. The only issue right now is, that I know how to take the keyboard + trackpad apart up to the point where I remove the trackpad. I cannot find any pictures or videos about this.

Can anyone tell me how to "open" that connector (picture) and replace my trackpad.

Thx a lot. I really need some infos!
    06-07-12 06:37 AM
    lol seems like nobody has an idea...
    06-07-12 09:52 AM
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTnyI7yDRDM[/YT]

I hope this kinda helps you. From where he takes the front keypad bit out it should be easily replaced!
    06-07-12 10:10 AM
    I actually know this video. It shows you how to take out the keyboard + Trackpad. but it does not show how you actually remove the trackpad from the keyboard.
    06-07-12 10:17 AM
    OK. Since nobody had an idea how that works, I did further research and found out, that the connector (picture in my first post) can indeed be seperated from the keyboard. see picture.
    For everyone who is interested in replacing the trackpad, this should be good news since you don't have to buy a whole keyboard + trackpad set.
    06-08-12 02:51 AM
    OK. Since nobody had an idea how that works, I did further research and found out, that the connector (picture in my first post) can indeed be seperated from the keyboard. see picture.
    For everyone who is interested in replacing the trackpad, this should be good news since you don't have to buy a whole keyboard + trackpad set.
    Hi there, thank you for this photo. In my case I would just like to center the trackpad. It is currently slightly out of alignment. Do I have to unplug any connectors to do this?
    09-23-12 04:12 PM
    Hi there, thank you for this photo. In my case I would just like to center the trackpad. It is currently slightly out of alignment. Do I have to unplug any connectors to do this?
    I suggest you live with your problem, since you have to open that plastic thing that fixes your trackpad in position and its latches get broken very easy. I broke one of the latches. So if your alignment problem is nothing serious I would let it be as it is.
    Nate650 likes this.
    09-23-12 04:18 PM
    I suggest you live with your problem, since you have to open that plastic thing that fixes your trackpad in position and its latches get broken very easy. I broke one of the latches. So if your alignment problem is nothing serious I would let it be as it is.
    I was leaning toward that conclusion. Thanks!
    09-23-12 04:24 PM
    The actual hole that is cut out in the call panel is the problem with the alignment i.e. If you mean it is crooked. You would need to replace the keyboard. To fix that.
    Nate650 likes this.
    09-23-12 10:31 PM
    The actual hole that is cut out in the call panel is the problem with the alignment i.e. If you mean it is crooked. You would need to replace the keyboard. To fix that.
    Thanks for the info. I guess that isn't too bad since I see the keyboard assembly on eBay going for ~$15 and the trackpad alone is ~$10.

Does anyone know how to determine if the keypads being sold on eBay are genuine RIM parts? For example:

Blackberry Bold 9900 9930 Keypad Keyboard Trackpad Membrane PBC Flex Cable | eBay

Blackberry Bold 9930 Keypad Keyboard + Trackpad Membrane PBC Flex Cable | eBay

They mention "OEM" but I find it hard to believe these OEM parts would run this cheap.
    09-24-12 12:11 AM
    funny i ran into this thread. my touchpad was going crazy, constantly moving whereever it wanted i could barely do anything in the dark at night or in sunlight outside. so i replaced mine with a part i bought from blackberrymall.com and it works perfect. cost about six bucks all in all. you can do the trackpad by itself you dont have to replace the whole keyboard assembly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-24-12 05:40 AM
    sorry i just gave you the wrong website. its all4cellular.com
    i just fixed mine about six hours ago and have been typing in the pitch black dark room for about three hours now and it works flawlessly. it was 9 dollars to buy and i didnt even buy a torx screw driver, i just used a tiny flat head with pressure, but i do recommend getting a right size torx screw driver if youre not too handy with electronic tools.

09-24-12 05:46 AM
    Thanks for the info. I guess that isn't too bad since I see the keyboard assembly on eBay going for ~$15 and the trackpad alone is ~$10.

Does anyone know how to determine if the keypads being sold on eBay are genuine RIM parts? For example:

Blackberry Bold 9900 9930 Keypad Keyboard Trackpad Membrane PBC Flex Cable | eBay

They mention "OEM" but I find it hard to believe these OEM parts would run this cheap.
    They are not OEM. If you want that you need to get one out of a another Bold.
    09-24-12 09:07 AM
    no its probably not oem. but i do know its better than the oem crap that was installed in mine. i replaced it with a 8 dollar part and it works flawlessly now.

09-24-12 09:10 AM
    Can anyone actually explain how to disconnect and connect the touchpad connection, This connection slides underneath the keyboard cable under the square tin lid.
    04-16-13 03:44 PM

They are not OEM Blackberry saddly does not sell parts to consumers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Support your local paramedics...Run with scissors.
    04-17-13 08:52 AM
    Can anyone actually explain how to disconnect and connect the touchpad connection, This connection slides underneath the keyboard cable under the square tin lid.
    You probably don't want to hear this, but the trackpad is not replaced, you just replace the keyboard and trackpad as an assembly. The parts are cheap enough now that the 9900 has been out for a while. There are a couple Canadian sellers that seem to have original BlackBerry parts, with on selling the complete housing and keyboard for about $35. I bought an 9860 housing from him and it was new, still with the protective plastic on it.
    04-17-13 09:22 AM
    They are not OEM Blackberry saddly does not sell parts to consumers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Support your local paramedics...Run with scissors.
    They may not sell directly to consumers, but I think commercial clients that may have a large installed base of BlackBerrys are able to buy spares and repair parts. I think this may be the source for some of the legitimate parts sold on eBay.
    04-17-13 09:24 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply to my problem, robsteve.
    04-18-13 06:23 PM
    I think I know the connector you're talking about. I've replaced the flex cable in my wife's old Torch (twice, actually) and in that case you have to remove the touchpad to reuse it with the new cable. The first time I did it I just hosed the connector...no great loss, there, since the flex cable had a new one. The second time I was bound and determined to open the connector without destroying it...and I succeeded, but it is not easy. The advice to just replace it as a unit with the keyboard is probably good advice...or be prepared to do so if you munge the connector like I did.
    04-18-13 10:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD