So here I am with a new Bold 9900 and am pretty happy with it overall until upon closer inspection I noticed the trackpad is not centered. It's kind of rotated slightly... ever so slightly counter clockwise.

Does anyone have this issue?

The pad works well... just off.

Who returned it and who said who cares.....

Returning it may bring forth a newer unit with MORE ISSUES....
    09-11-11 02:01 AM
    are you sure maybe it's just an effect of the curve beneath, i am looking at mine and sometimes it looks off and sometimes it looks good so i think its an illusion.
    09-11-11 02:24 AM
    ever so slightly counter clockwise.
    I have noticed this ever so slightly on both 9900 i've used.
    09-11-11 02:28 AM
    Duke, so I guess this is 'normal' then.

Use away I guess.
    09-11-11 02:36 AM
    Duke, so I guess this is 'normal' then.

Use away I guess.
    I'd have to say yes. I would be more worried if it was leaning in one direction more than the other.

It's funny because I kept staring at it and I thought "is it really tilted or am i just seeing things" because it is ever so slight but yeah its there on both units Ive used and no I wouldnt worry about that, there are much more legitimate concerns to worry about with the build quality.
    09-11-11 03:08 AM
    My trackpad is ever so slightly off centre too, it still works as normal though.
    09-11-11 03:56 AM
    Weird, I was gonna make a thread about this because my trackpad is rotated very slightly CCW too! It still works fine and I love the phone too much to even consider returning it (seriously, some people were returning theirs for the dumbest reasons).

The other weird thing I noticed is that the light around my trackpad has more of a yellowish tint to it, compared to the almost purplish-white glow of all the keys. Anyone else's phone like this too?
    09-11-11 04:31 AM
    LOL yep mine is the same, ive asked a few of my friends to see for themselves if its me or is it really off center ie mine tilts to the left...some of my friends have said i need my eyes tested and some have said that yes it does look a bit off center.

So i dont know, ive only had it since last week...i have 28 days in which to return it if it has any physical defects but at the moment i have it set up perfectly and im just a bit worried that if i do exchange it then ill get a worse one.
    09-11-11 09:27 AM
    Maybe. You'd have to really measure it though. As things like that can play tricks on the eyes/brain.

And then if the answer is yes, then I'd not care in the least. There is no reason everything on a device has to be somehow squared off exactly in my opinion.
    09-11-11 09:33 AM
    Maybe. You'd have to really measure it though. As things like that can play tricks on the eyes/brain.

And then if the answer is yes, then I'd not care in the least. There is no reason everything on a device has to be somehow squared off exactly in my opinion.
    Indeed i have measured it against a ruler and it seems straight but then looking at it, it doesnt.

Saying that the phone works perfectly well and i have no issues with the trackpad so ill probably keep it as i dont think theres any point getting it exchanged as id hate to get another one with worse build quality and the battery on my 9900 is pretty good so theres the added chance that i may get one that has a poor battery on it.
    09-11-11 09:44 AM
    LOL I measured and it is a bit off LOL But returning it would definitely make people thing I'm bloody off!

Going to just use it I guess....

On a side note, does your screen sit slightly above the bottom keys?? OR is it flush??
    09-11-11 10:34 AM
    LOL I measured and it is a bit off LOL But returning it would definitely make people thing I'm bloody off!

On a side note, does your screen sit slightly above the bottom keys?? OR is it flush??
    LOL my screen seems to be flush on the call button and bb button side but is slightly raised on the esc and end call button...again not an issue thats hindering the phone...its just slightly raised...thankfully i have a 2 yr warranty from RIM and the place i bought it from so should anything go wrong ill just get them to fix it or replace it.
    09-11-11 10:53 AM
    This is a defect get it replaced....

#sarcasm
    09-11-11 11:12 AM
    Really? You think you see a slight counter clockwise rotation of the trackpad and you want to take it back?

I mean, I'm all for getting non-defective units, but at this point I have to say I think a lot of people spend more time looking for potential defects and then creating them in their heads than actually USING the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    09-11-11 11:21 AM
    Mine is very slightly off center too, but works just fine, smooth as butter scrolling I must say.

Also, this is just how they're made, and read many posts about this on the 'bold' 9650. So our 99xx's just happen to use the same assembly. It doesn't bug me, and I've seen it [more] off center on the 9650 at the store.
    09-11-11 11:47 AM
    pblakk I'm not familiar with any of the other Bold models but I guess what you are saying is this is the best it will ever get and that this fact the trackpad is off centre is normal then.

The big question I have is WHY are all the dummy phones on display assembled right then??!! LOL sounds like they make those perfect but the functioning phones gimpy.
    09-12-11 01:00 AM
    same here - with 2 9900s. Seems to be a "problem" with the hole the trackpack sits in.

It gives space to the trackpad to move and I suppose if you're right-handed, which I am, then you actually move the tracked even more slightly CCW, as the hand "comes from the right" whenever you touch it.

I would still call it a design-failure, but I don't mind because the device works.
    09-12-11 03:51 AM
    is yours look something like this ?
    i just bought mine today and still deciding wheter to exchange it or not
    it's a shame this is a 600$ phone and this is their top of the line model, but RIM quality control is really terrible, .
    i still deciding wheter to exchange it or not because the rest of the phone looks perfect and normal, maybe there will be a guide on how to open our 9900 and "fix" this ourself ?
    like those with 9700 before ?

09-18-11 11:39 AM
    is yours look something like this ?
    i just bought mine today and still deciding wheter to exchange it or not
    it's a shame this is a 600$ phone and this is their top of the line model, but RIM quality control is really terrible, .
    i still deciding wheter to exchange it or not because the rest of the phone looks perfect and normal, maybe there will be a guide on how to open our 9900 and "fix" this ourself ?
    like those with 9700 before ?

It looks much more skew than mine
    09-18-11 11:43 AM
    Its a phone not a precision piece of machinery ! As long as it functions ok what's the difference. Mine came with the bottom panel popped of I just put it back in and no issues so far. I would just enjoy your new Bold.
    09-18-11 12:15 PM
    yeah its my hard earn money that pays for it and the trackpad squeaks when i pressed it, i don't think i deserved that for a $600 phone.
    Paulct likes this.
    09-18-11 02:24 PM
    Mine is about 1 degree counter clockwise. But there is an illusion happening also. With it not being centered perfectly between the t and y key, and the chrome curve under the first row of keys makes it appear more skewed than it really is. Wouldn't take mine back if you paid me. Everything else is perfect!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-11 02:31 PM
    Weird, I was gonna make a thread about this because my trackpad is rotated very slightly CCW too! It still works fine and I love the phone too much to even consider returning it (seriously, some people were returning theirs for the dumbest reasons).

The other weird thing I noticed is that the light around my trackpad has more of a yellowish tint to it, compared to the almost purplish-white glow of all the keys. Anyone else's phone like this too?
    This is exactly my experience i.e. it is turned CCW slightly and the illumination is dim around the perimeter. My first one wasn't turned CCW but was way off centre.

Doesn't effect performance but what an embarrassment putting out a product like this.

If you want to really blow your mind, line up several in a row and look at the massive colour differences in the screen and how the screen isn't aligned with the call-end panel. Now that's scary.
    09-18-11 10:46 PM

Should be flush but good luck finding one that truly is. Took me about six boxes to open to do so and even then it isn't perfect.
    09-18-11 10:49 PM
    I have a few issues with my 9900 too. Should I return it? Do I risk getting something even worse?
    Last edited by andyJH; 09-19-11 at 09:07 AM.
    Fnord likes this.
    09-18-11 11:22 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD