Well i just got my brand new bold 9900 and it seems as though all the keys are good except the menu key it doesnt make a click sound like the return key but it feels a bit mushy I guess and the trackpad is a bit squeaky which is not normal. Is anyone else getting the menu problem or the trackpad problem?
    08-29-11 06:12 PM
    Take it back, that's not normal
    yeah except for this virgin mobile company I only get one exchange its stupid and the sim card says sim not provisioned, these bolds have way to many problems too !
    08-29-11 06:34 PM
    I just returned mine on the 14th day because of the menu button. It was fine when I bought it, last night it just totally lost the tactile feedback and had no bounce and started ghost clicking....back u go! Vzw store swapped it right out for a BNIB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 06:37 PM
    I just returned mine on the 14th day because of the menu button. It was fine when I bought it, last night it just totally lost the tactile feedback and had no bounce and started ghost clicking....back u go! Vzw store swapped it right out for a BNIB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    maybe I should sign up with a diff company like rogers which is more safe but they have terrible data plans and the phone costs 100 dollars more there
    08-29-11 06:47 PM
    maybe I should sign up with a diff company like rogers which is more safe but they have terrible data plans and the phone costs 100 dollars more there
    Rogers is easier to deal with for replacements and based on your issues it has to be replaced. I'm on my 2nd and maybe a third as I'm not happier either with the menu key and my trackpad is not centered. Doesn't probably affect performance but the phone cost 620 after tax so I'll likely return it.
    08-29-11 07:01 PM
    Rogers is easier to deal with for replacements and based on your issues it has to be replaced. I'm on my 2nd and maybe a third as I'm not happier either with the menu key and my trackpad is not centered. Doesn't probably affect performance but the phone cost 620 after tax so I'll likely return it.
    yeah now that you say that the trackpad does look like its not centered
    08-29-11 07:04 PM
    It is very strange that I see so many people with hardware defects in their 9900. I bet you that your 9900 was made in Mexico right?

I bought 3 9900s so far, all made in Hungary 3, and they were nothing but perfect, so have all my friends too.

Mexico has serious Quality Control issues.
    yeah its made in Mexico and whats the latest good os ?
    08-29-11 07:20 PM
    It had to be, I've only seen bad units out of Mexico.

Not saying all Mexico built units are bad, as you know many here have BBs built in Mexico, but they also have a high number of defective ones

Take it back while you can. I know it's a hassle but...
    I will take it back only problem I have one exchange ill wait a bit first should I shrink the os too ?
    08-29-11 07:26 PM
    If you only have 1 exchange, test the unit at the store itself.

1) Ensure the back and menu buttons are flushed

2) Turn it on, and test the motion real quick up and down and left and right and it has to be smooth not choppy motion

3) hover your finger slightly over the trackpad, and make sure that it doesn't move, if it moves a bit it's fine, but if it moves so much, it means the trackpad is over sensitive.

4) Browser cursor. Check to make sure it doesn't move around randomly and that when using the trackpad it isn't automatically selecting links.

5) Call, menu, return, end panel. Ensure that it is not raised above the screen i.e. it should be flush with the screen.

6) Trackpad. It shouldn't be creaky or squeaky.

7) Antenna. Make sure there isn't a gap at the bottom of the phone where it looks like something was pried into it.

8) Keyboard. Physically depress each key for correct feel.

9) Return button. Ensure it actually returns to the previous screen.

10) Screen color. Go to the test screen and test the color. Hard to actually do without a comparison beside it but I found a couple that were visibly yellow without a nearby comparison.

About shrinking, I have done it and always do, but to be honest, it has 0 effects now

Reasons:

1) you shrink the languages, but you can simply choose not to install them in the first place after you wipe your device so you're not really shrinking anything that can be avoided to be installed in the first place anyway.

2) The most thing I wanted to shrink were the built in videos which take up to 20 MB of space and are useless really, but even when you shrink them, they are still there we need an updated Shrink App to properly find a way to remove them

So until then, shrinking has 0 effects really on your total memory.

When you first get your BB, you will have all those useless languages and so.

But anyway, the best method to install an OS now is to wipe first, thus, the languages will be gone anyway and you will only install the ones you want.
    thanks for the great reply and what is flush? and where do I go to find the test screen?
    08-29-11 07:47 PM
    Flush means LEVEL, in other words, ensure that the BlackBerry Menu button is level with the buttons next to it and smooth, not elevated to a different level. Same goes for the Back Arrow button.

To get the Test screen:

Options->Status then type test on your BB Keypad.
    okay good my trackapd isnt squeaking for some reason seems fine for now and its flush I believe looks to me like it and ill test it right now
    08-29-11 07:54 PM
    I bought 9900 Bold on T-Mobile last week had trackpad problems. Scroll (up) wasn't working. Went and switched for another brand new in the box and had problems scroll (left) & (right) wasn't working. Now I am on my 3rd one and it seems to be working fine so far.

So yeah the 9900 are little buggy.
    09-11-11 11:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD