I am thinking of purchasing the Bold 9900 and one of the things I would be doing with the phone is tethering it to my laptop. The 9900 supports HSDPA giving it a maximum transfer speed of 14.4Mb/s, can I get this kind of transfer speed when tethering? The network I am using supports HSDPA so I know it's possible from the network side, but is there any speed limit on tethering?
    10-12-11 07:33 PM
    Good luck with 14.4 Mbps transfer speeds. Although it's theoretically possible according to the standards, you won't see that anytime soon IMO, (sounds like TMO's 4G claims). Still, tethering here on Bell Mobilite will get you 3-5Mbps, which isn't too bad! That's what I've been seeing all day today while tethered. That's much faster than the browser speeds on our BB's anyway.
    10-12-11 08:58 PM
    You shouldn't have any problem if you've got a good provider network with a tower thats not too busy. I've been getting consistent speeds of 13 - 10mb down and 3 up with my 9900 but this on Sasktels new network here in SK in a town less then 300 people. I have really been impressed with the tethering speeds, and the best part is I'm only paying for an email only plan.

For some reason they can't turn the tethering off on my phones, I even called in about it and asked them, as I didn't want to have unexpected charges, and they said they were unable to do anything about it and they couldn't see any tethering data!

But I agree with the earlier comment from FBA. Mostly,they come out with faster and faster network speeds, and even brag about them, and then they throttle everyone to the max as they mustn't have enough bandwidth.
    10-29-11 03:42 PM
    I'm on Telus and my tethering download speed is anywhere from 120-150KB/s, or around 1mbit. Not quite the 14.4mbits they advertise, but it's still faster than my 9780 was. Upload is ~60KB/s, or .5mbits
    10-29-11 07:05 PM
    I get 6mbps down and 1mbps upload consistently on my Telus Bold 9900.
    10-29-11 07:28 PM
    i get speeds that are comparable to my highspeed internet at home.
    10-29-11 10:49 PM
    I consistently get 2MB/s through USB. Yes, Bytes

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-11 12:30 AM
    i was seein 3-6 Mbps while tethered to my 9860 on at&t's H+ network. this is average and realistic speeds you will probably see on a regular basis.
    10-30-11 03:55 AM