09-13-11 03:00 PM
509 ... 1718192021
tools
    I just went to a local T-Mobile store again today to see if there were any more information about UMA/Hotspot. The manager looked at the documents and he said that "someone" from their community that works for T-Mobile typed something saying "The Bold 9900 will not have UMA / wifi calling on the release but there will be a software update in November."

The manager told me that that's not official or "confirmed". But according to whoever wrote that document, supposedly there will be an update for UMA. As for hotspot, there isn't any documentations for that.
    09-03-11 03:19 PM
    I finally got a 9900 from T-Mobile for < $100 final cost but it required a scorched earth tactic and being abused by the worse sales rep EVER. Getting the phone for < $100 was unintended but happy consequence, but I'm still trying to sort out whether my time, and emotional trauma made it all worthwhile.

About a month ago, I took delivery of a myTouch 4G and I hated it. I sent it back in 4 days. However, because T-Mobile made a tiny, I thought insignificant change to my plan with the myTouch, I technically was locked into another 24 months, even though I had no phone. I found this out at a T-Mobile store where the so-called sales rep went on a rant that ANYONE who would pay that kind of money for a crappy old Blackberry had to be crazy. I insisted on trying a BB 9900 and while i was trying it out, the google-bot sales rep kept pushing more android phones at me and badgering me about what a bad phone the 9900 was and how overpriced it was (I agreed with the last part).

So I asked, which of these Android phones has a screen bright enough to be seen in direct sunlight, has a speaker as loud and clear as this one and can be taken off the charger in the morning and last until bedtime with light to moderate use?

<cue the sound of crickets>

I reminded him that I am 52 years old, I don't play games, security is priority #1 and I'm really comfortable with BB and don't have time for a learning curve, so you should ask YOURSELF, do I want to sell this phone?

"But this one is dual core so it renders webpages WAAAAYYY faster." So I asked him to chose a graphic heavy site of his choice and we could compare web browsers side by side. I was actually curious how they would compare and expected the 9900 to get smoked. The dual core android won by maybe 1 second but because the browsers render pages differently, it was difficult to judge.

"NO FAIR! RIM compresses data!" Really, so I can use a cheaper data plan? He was amazed to see the BB 9900 had pinch to zoom, how loud and clear the speaker was. Seriously, I don't think he ever spent 1 minute with this device before I got there. TMO or RIM, are you listening, you seriously need to hire some secret shoppers. This was just disgraceful.

But just as I was ready to pay full pop for the 9900 even though I was basically treated like a moron, I was informed that because of the minor change in my plan that made when I bought the myTouch 4G, I was disqualified for the $50 MIR on a Bold 9900.

Called 611. 40 minutes and two CS reps later, I was completely fed up. I asked about the early termination fee. "Oh sir, you don't want to do that, you'll have to pay $200."

"I would gladly pay $200 to break a bad contract. That's a bargain. Transfer me to a manager and let's get it done."

So I was transferred to someone with some authority and requested that she end the contract and that I would gladly pay the ETF, cash, check, cc card or bill me. I don't care. We are done. I'm going to Virgin Mobile. I'd rather be stuck with a lousy phone than a lousy contract.

"What phone did you want sir?"

"A Bold 9900, but you've priced this thing through the stratosphere. I can afford it, but its insulting. I want to end my contract NOW. If I am going to pay $299 on a 2 year contract, I'll get an iPhone 5." I meant it and I was totally willing to follow through.

Then she asked me if I would be willing to enter into a NEW 2 year contract with my graqndfathered plan on a Bold 9900 if I was given a $250 discount and the MIR still would be valid??? Here's the math.

Phone + tax and activation fee $393.75
    Please don't break up with us discount -$250.00
    MIR -50.00
    Final price $83.75

Well, since you asked soooo nicely :-) This is my story and it is 98.5% factual. Your results may vary.
    Redbird1 and curvedthumb like this.
    09-03-11 03:43 PM
    Love your story. Like I said, you need to have all really great cards and you can make a good deal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 03:51 PM
    Phoned T-Mobile today.... My story is that I'm on my 2nd BB Bold 9780 device and it's also defective and exhibiting the dreaded DOUBLE INPUT issue, that has no known fix or workaround. My goal going into the calls was to see if I could be refunded for my defective 9780, and be allowed to pay the upgrade cost ($299) for the new 9900.... So I had an interesting experience. I always go through the Loyalty department as they seem to be the only department that has the authorization to work with you:

-First CS Rep I speak with. This guy is rambling off all the typical Customer Service talking points, like he's reading it off a little CS Guide. He's immediately giving me this runaround about how they only have limited options to offer me and they can't do this and they can't do that.... Then he tries to pass me off onto the Technical Support department and says they could even put me in touch with RIM.... I am a very polite, kind-hearted, and professional individual, but the way this guy was handling this phone call, it pushed my buttons real fast. He wasn't listening to any points I was making, about how my technical issue with my device is a Quality Control issue at the factory, and not something that can be troubleshooted.... He was talking so much I had to interrupt him to get a word in.... Finally as he's talking over me, I just talk louder and tell him "You know what, I'm not going to sit here and listen to you spout off these bull**** talking points and redirect me to some other department, I'll just call back and speak to somebody else", and I hung up on him.... I don't enjoy acting that way, but that's how the situation played out, and I didn't mean to curse but this guy was being a real insensitive jackass....

-So I called back, got another CS Rep on the phone this time, it was a female, told her my story, she tried to offer me a Nokia replacement device or another 9780, I politely asked to speak to a Manager, and she put me on hold, I hear hold music for 2 minutes, then it just stops and silence for another 2 minutes, I was disconnected... I had to hang up and call again.... Getting quite annoyed at this point

-3rd call back, I get a new CS Rep on the phone, another guy this time, and let me tell you, the 3rd time was the charm... This guy was concise, communicated clearly, and gave good feedback over the phone to let me feel comfortable that he knew where I was coming from. We talked for about 5 minutes about various topics and he looked into some stuff for me and even communicated some information to me that he says they're not normally allowed to share over the phone with Customers. He informed me that since I only had my 9780 for 8 months, there were limited options, but that if I were to wait 4 months, he could finagle the system so that it would allow me to upgrade to the 9900 at the $299 rate, even though I wasn't technically due for an upgrade... So I told him that I could tolerate dealing with my 9780 and it's double input for another 4 months, and that I would be content with being able to upgrade to the 9900 at that time in January. I documented our conversation on a word file on my computer as we talked, and copied down his name and T-Mobile employee ID number. He set a reminder on his end, and on January 8th, he will contact me to proceed with what we had discussed.... He said if for whatever reason he can't reach me, he will leave a voice mail, and that I can always call in and ask to speak with him, and that T-Mobile would send him an internal email if he wasn't working, and he would contact me once he was back in the office... I thanked him for how he handled my call, and asked if he had a Manager available so I could leave some positive feedback about my CS experience today (which I have done in the past). He politely informed me that he was a Supervisor and that other Managers in the office were pretty busy and that he didn't want to waste any more of my time and thanked me personally for extending positive feedback about how he handled my phone call.... He ended by saying he'll reach out to me in the new year....

I'm somewhat content with how things panned out.... I only paid $80 for my previous upgrade to the Bold 9780 ($130 charge minus $50 MIR = $80), so despite the frustration of having 2 defective devices, I'm okay with re-upping to a Bold 9900 for $300 in January. I don't particularly believe in lambasting Customer Service Reps over the phone, because I've worked in Service before, and those jobs are largely unrewarding and often times down right maddening. So I didn't want to call in trying to request something I knew they weren't able to offer me, and then having to get nasty over the phone with the Reps, because that ruins their day and mine....
    Last edited by wolfgaze; 09-03-11 at 07:02 PM.
    09-03-11 05:18 PM
    In the mean time, you are stuck with a defective 9780, which is still under warranty. You should still call back and ask to exchange it. You still should not be excluded from upgrading to the 9900 after the first of the year. And, by then, we'll know if they are actually going to enable UMA on it.
    09-03-11 05:31 PM
    In the mean time, you are stuck with a defective 9780, which is still under warranty. You should still call back and ask to exchange it. You still should not be excluded from upgrading to the 9900 after the first of the year. And, by then, we'll know if they are actually going to enable UMA on it.
    I don't want to deal with the hassle and frustration of having to redownload and reconfigure all of my apps and tweak my settings and all that business for a 3rd time.... My 9780 issue is intermittent, it will double input once maybe every 5 sentences I type... While frustrating and annoying, the phone is still usable... I'd rather just wait another 4 months until January and upgrade to a new device than go through the annoyance of switching to a 3rd 9780 and then a new 9900 in January (if I could even convince them to let me do that). As far as I'm concerned, if they sent me a 3rd 9780, and it was defect free, I shouldn't be entitled to an upgrade offer until I hit my 2 year mark again (from the date that I first upgraded to the 9780).
    09-03-11 05:38 PM
    Just a quick update on my pricing. It is actually $100 but I will need to send in the the $50 MIR. On the other hand they have no idea how long the backorder is so who knows when I'll actual get it.

09-03-11 06:51 PM
    I was told I would be getting mine Wednesday. Hope I'm not getting someones reject.
    09-03-11 07:04 PM
    I was told I would be getting mine Wednesday. Hope I'm not getting someones reject.
    I just got another update that says mine will be here Wednesday. Its too early to start getting rejects, isn't it? ;-)

09-03-11 08:23 PM
    I finally got a 9900 from T-Mobile for < $100 final cost but it required a scorched earth tactic and being abused by the worse sales rep EVER. Getting the phone for < $100 was unintended but happy consequence, but I'm still trying to sort out whether my time, and emotional trauma made it all worthwhile.

About a month ago, I took delivery of a myTouch 4G and I hated it. I sent it back in 4 days. However, because T-Mobile made a tiny, I thought insignificant change to my plan with the myTouch, I technically was locked into another 24 months, even though I had no phone. I found this out at a T-Mobile store where the so-called sales rep went on a rant that ANYONE who would pay that kind of money for a crappy old Blackberry had to be crazy. I insisted on trying a BB 9900 and while i was trying it out, the google-bot sales rep kept pushing more android phones at me and badgering me about what a bad phone the 9900 was and how overpriced it was (I agreed with the last part).

So I asked, which of these Android phones has a screen bright enough to be seen in direct sunlight, has a speaker as loud and clear as this one and can be taken off the charger in the morning and last until bedtime with light to moderate use?

<cue the sound of crickets>

I reminded him that I am 52 years old, I don't play games, security is priority #1 and I'm really comfortable with BB and don't have time for a learning curve, so you should ask YOURSELF, do I want to sell this phone?

"But this one is dual core so it renders webpages WAAAAYYY faster." So I asked him to chose a graphic heavy site of his choice and we could compare web browsers side by side. I was actually curious how they would compare and expected the 9900 to get smoked. The dual core android won by maybe 1 second but because the browsers render pages differently, it was difficult to judge.

"NO FAIR! RIM compresses data!" Really, so I can use a cheaper data plan? He was amazed to see the BB 9900 had pinch to zoom, how loud and clear the speaker was. Seriously, I don't think he ever spent 1 minute with this device before I got there. TMO or RIM, are you listening, you seriously need to hire some secret shoppers. This was just disgraceful.

But just as I was ready to pay full pop for the 9900 even though I was basically treated like a moron, I was informed that because of the minor change in my plan that made when I bought the myTouch 4G, I was disqualified for the $50 MIR on a Bold 9900.

Called 611. 40 minutes and two CS reps later, I was completely fed up. I asked about the early termination fee. "Oh sir, you don't want to do that, you'll have to pay $200."

"I would gladly pay $200 to break a bad contract. That's a bargain. Transfer me to a manager and let's get it done."

So I was transferred to someone with some authority and requested that she end the contract and that I would gladly pay the ETF, cash, check, cc card or bill me. I don't care. We are done. I'm going to Virgin Mobile. I'd rather be stuck with a lousy phone than a lousy contract.

"What phone did you want sir?"

"A Bold 9900, but you've priced this thing through the stratosphere. I can afford it, but its insulting. I want to end my contract NOW. If I am going to pay $299 on a 2 year contract, I'll get an iPhone 5." I meant it and I was totally willing to follow through.

Then she asked me if I would be willing to enter into a NEW 2 year contract with my graqndfathered plan on a Bold 9900 if I was given a $250 discount and the MIR still would be valid??? Here's the math.

Phone + tax and activation fee $393.75
    Please don't break up with us discount -$250.00
    MIR -50.00
    Final price $83.75

Well, since you asked soooo nicely :-) This is my story and it is 98.5% factual. Your results may vary.
    Remember all though TMO has a million iPhone users on their network they also have lost nearly that in the past Q as people are leaving for the iPhone and the uncertainty of the potential AT&T buy out.

Great job getting it done though... now go and enjoy your phone and don't spend another second thinking about a poorly trained sales rep.
    09-03-11 11:42 PM
    Everyone is having amazing stories with Terrible mobile, very interesting
    09-04-11 05:34 AM
    Great job getting it done though... now go and enjoy your phone and don't spend another second thinking about a poorly trained sales rep.
    Almost 20 hours has passed since the T-Mobile store from H-E-double hockey sticks experience. You would THINK that since TMO does not have the iPhone, they would be thrilled to have something other than Android to offer, but honestly, it was like they were trying to recruit me into a cult. I will be sending some correspondence to RIM and T-Mobile, assuming I can find proper contacts at either company, to suggest they cross-train reps to be knowledgeable on the RIM platform. Most of all, don't badger and insult a well informed adult customer. Before he would even hand me the device, i had to explain that yes, I know it is the most expensive phone TMO has, I know its a rip-off and the specs are not on par with some of the high end Androids. That said, it is a beautiful device that wreaks of quality and it is exactly right for ME --- and I would rather pay $100 too much than be unhappy with a "better" phone for the length of a 2 year contract.

Seriously, he tried to sell me on X-Box compatibility. Dude, I'm 52. I don't even know what that is. I use it to communicate with PEOPLE, Facebook, Twitter, Groupon and Poynt, I do online banking and PayPal and occasionally Google search something if it will help me answer a customer's question. All I really wanted (and exactly what the 9900 is) is a classic Berry with a turbocharged V8 dropped under the hood. Every hour I spend learning a new platform is an hour I'm not making $80 an hour servicing Vespas. So the price (while insulting) is not my #1 concern. Let me have it please.

Honestly, if this exchange were video taped (video tape? Showing my age again) you could turn it into a training video of how NOT to sell anything and the trainees would be laughing; it was truly hard to believe that any sales rep could be so clueless. But I'm laughing about it now.
    09-04-11 09:09 AM
    I think the thing I like the most about T-Mobile is the fact that you can buy your phone outright and pay less on your bill... significantly less. However, where I live T-Mobile only has 2G service. As soon as they turn on 3G I will probably drop Verizon. Sure I will get worse coverage overall, but I will be saving quite a bit of money.
    09-04-11 09:10 AM
    WoooHooo! Got my Charging Pods for my Bold 9900 in the mail yesterday!

Always get one or two with every new berry.

Still waiting for my screen protecters to come in the mail.

For those of you who got your Bolds already, what accessories did you guys get? Whats your favorite?

I want to get a case, but cant decide which to get? should I get a soft shell or a hard shell case? Both look real good according to Kevin's reviews. Any recommendations?

I want something that wont scratch the steel band around the phone every time I take it off to pit it in the charging pod.
    sn05py likes this.
    09-04-11 11:47 AM
    My biggest problem with the in-store reps is that the last two times I've gone in they tried to get me to change my plan and were almost abusive in telling me how I could save money and I had to explain nothing was better then the loyalty plan I have now. And of course after each of these encounters I call T-Mobile and they let me know that I was right.

I'd give up altogether if the 3rd previous visit to a T-Mobile store I had the most helpful and patient salesman who really helped me when I needed it.

09-04-11 02:04 PM
    I just ordered two of these from T-Mobile over the phone. $249 for one and the second is free. Two year contract for both lines. No upgrade fee. Free shipping. No change to my old $19.99 unlimited data plan from 3 years ago. All great!
    09-04-11 05:37 PM
    2 for the price of one?????? I wannaaaaaaaa!

09-04-11 05:44 PM
    Speak to the Customer Loyalty department. Not retentions rather LOYALTY. They have always been able to help me out.
    09-04-11 05:53 PM
    Thanks for good advice. Its always good to know for the future

09-04-11 07:33 PM
    Is it Wednesday yet?

I'm a bit miffed I bought it through the walmart site and not LetsTalk'sa ctual website. Could've had my phone by now AND paid only about $160 for it after the 20% off code. ugh
    09-04-11 07:43 PM
    I want to get a case, but cant decide which to get?
    I'm getting the Casemate "Barely There" in silver brushed aluminum. The OEM BB hard case looks good too, but the Casemate, being metal, is a bit more "premium looking" and shows off more of the stainless steel band. The shape of the case probably allows for the charging pod.
    09-04-11 09:12 PM
    Is it Wednesday yet?

I'm a bit miffed I bought it through the walmart site and not LetsTalk'sa ctual website. Could've had my phone by now AND paid only about $160 for it after the 20% off code. ugh
    I just hope mine is delivered on Wednesday and not delayed again. The holiday has me worried.

09-04-11 09:30 PM
    I just ordered two of these from T-Mobile over the phone. $249 for one and the second is free. Two year contract for both lines. No upgrade fee. Free shipping. No change to my old $19.99 unlimited data plan from 3 years ago. All great!
    $20 is nice and cheap
    09-04-11 09:33 PM
    You are 52 and don't know what a xbox is?

09-04-11 09:59 PM
    I just hope mine is delivered on Wednesday and not delayed again. The holiday has me worried.

Good Luck! I feel your pain. I've been watching the UPS website like a hawk just in case it updates with 'early delivery' for Tuesday. I even switched hours at work so I get out earlier so I have more time getting my 9900 the way I like it.

09-04-11 10:29 PM
509 ... 1718192021
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD